The Dark Horse: Arttu Ruotsalainen

LGR4GM

We don't talk enough but this kid. That makes sense because he is small at 5'8" and he just got signed so we haven't seen him play. However, I think he has the potential to be a dark horse candidate to make the roster. Looking over his scoring stats I noticed the dip and the rise. I think he may have dipped down because it took him a little time to adjust to being a smaller player. I think the rise was the resulting correction. I don't know how this will play out in the NHL. He is actually undersized but the skill set is definitely there. Good shot, good skating, good passing. Seems to battle really well and work hard on the ice. He's my dark horse candidate to make the roster. 

Is he really any bigger of a long-shot then Victor Olofsson when we drafted him in the 7th rd?  

As a 21 year old last year he had 21g and 42 pts in 59 Liiga games (he turned 21 in October 2018)

Olofsson at 21 scored 9g and 27 pts in 51 SHL games.

My guess is he is on a similar development curve.  Olofsson blossomed at 22 with 27 goals and 43 pts in 50 SHL games. 

While I doubt he makes the Sabres this season, one more year here or back in Finland could see him ready. I thought Jbot should have brought up Olofsson last season while we were still in the chase to try to ignite some scoring. 

57 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Is he really any bigger of a long-shot then Victor Olofsson when we drafted him in the 7th rd?  

As a 21 year old last year he had 21g and 42 pts in 59 Liiga games (he turned 21 in October 2018)

My guess is he is on a similar development curve.  Olofsson blossomed at 22 with 27 goals and 43 pts in 50 SHL games. 

While I doubt he makes the Sabres this season, one more year here or back in Finland could see him ready. I thought Jbot should have brought up Olofsson last season while we were still in the chase to try to ignite some scoring. 

That’s exactly my point, actually. Teams are lucky to hit that jackpot once, let alone twice.

Again, I’m not saying it can’t happen but if they hit Olofson, Pilut and this guy it will be quite the story line.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Was interpreting Liger 's take as him being a long shot this season.  Which at best he's a very long one.

But could definitely see him being 50/50 to make it one of the following 2 seasons.  And hope he can work it out with Ilves (IIRC) so that if he doesn't make the Sabres he can play for the Amerks this season.

• Like (+1) 1

He is the reason I thought Rodrigues was going to become a piece in a trade to put a Ristolainen deal into our favor.  I wouldn't be surprised if he turned into a decent 3C.  His size isn't a big problem if our defense is not small, and other than Pilut and Nelson we don't have defenders who are struggling with the physical game.

48 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Was interpreting Liger 's take as him being a long shot this season.  Which at best he's a very long one.

But could definitely see him being 50/50 to make it one of the following 2 seasons.  And hope he can work it out with Ilves (IIRC) so that if he doesn't make the Sabres he can play for the Amerks this season.

Yes and unknown who might achieve success. 

3 hours ago, tom webster said:

That’s exactly my point, actually. Teams are lucky to hit that jackpot once, let alone twice.

Again, I’m not saying it can’t happen but if they hit Olofson, Pilut and this guy it will be quite the story line.

I think that is true in general, but some teams seems to do a better job at finding guys who contribute outside the 1st rd.

Back in the day, Regier found most of his success late with Campbell, Miller, Gaustad, Kotalik Wideman and Afinogenov and more recently with Ullmark, McNabb and Byron.

TB seems to find guys late as well like Palat, Paquette, Killorn, Gudas, Cirelli and Point plus FA Goude.

Maybe our reconstructed and better financed scouting department is baring fruit? First Pilut, now Routsalainen.  Maybe we’ll start hitting again on 3rd and later picks like Bryson, Rousek, Laaksonen, Portillo, and Pekar? The last 3 will all be on their contries U20 teams. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

4 hours ago, tom webster said:

It's kind of what the Red Wings did in the '90s.  They hit on several Euro prospects and won a few Cups.  And yes, that would be quite the story line, but getting "mature" talent out of Europe, while not enough to take us to the playoffs on their own, could be that extra little bit needed to push the high-draft core over the top.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

I think Asplund may be closer to making it than Artuu but you never know.

Put up essentially the same point totals at the same age last year, Asplund in the AHL, Arttu in Finland.

Asplund played 15 more games, but also put up 23 points in his last 22 games.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.