What Streaming services carry MSG?

inkman

1 hour ago, ... said:

You better turn them in!  Write MSG an email, let 'em know they've let the vile FuboTV get away with it for too long.

Meh. Not my job. I’m sure they know anyway and won’t care until the numbers make sense. People using Fubo most likely weren’t going to pay for a legit subscription anyway,  so they aren’t missing out on their dough. Once Fubo charges enough and enough people are doing it, they’ll come after them.

On another note, did I see that to get NHL games on Fubo, it costs 34.99 a month?! Hell, NHL.TV is cheaper than that.

Edited by SwampD

4 minutes ago, LTS said:

Not sure where you are going with all of this.  Fubo is 100% legitimate.  They may be subsidizing the expense, but they are not illegal.

Yeah. Pretty sure I was confused. 

I’m still sick.

But, isn’t the point of cutting the cord to save money? At sixty bucks a month, why not just keep cable.

8 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I’m still sick.

But, isn’t the point of cutting the cord to save money? At sixty bucks a month, why not just keep cable.

For me, $35/month was a better deal than I could find elsewhere last season. Now that it’s up to $55/month, it’s still cheaper than the $70 that Spectrum wants, and the triple digit bills that DTV always turned into. 

Still waiting to see if anyone else knows of anything with a cheaper monthly cost.

9 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

For me, $35/month was a better deal than I could find elsewhere last season. Now that it’s up to $55/month, it’s still cheaper than the $70 that Spectrum wants, and the triple digit bills that DTV always turned into. 

Still waiting to see if anyone else knows of anything with a cheaper monthly cost.

I get Sling TV for $25 a month and NHL.TV. That plus a regular ol’ antenna for local channels, plus whatever I can watch with my Amazon Prime membership and there is way more to watch than I’ll ever need.

41 minutes ago, ... said:

Since when?  I thought NHL.tv blocked out your local sports provider, which in our case would be MSG.

It does. But as swamp said, he's not local. 

38 minutes ago, Briere48 said:

I mean, SwampD does, but anyone living in this area wouldn't, which is most of the people on this board. lol

Sure, but you were addressing swamp directly. 

Everyone else should just get a VPN. 

2 hours ago, ... said:

Since when?  I thought NHL.tv blocked out your local sports provider, which in our case would be MSG.

It does. I tried NHL TV and all the Sabres games were blacked out for me in Rochester. 

Weird of them to expect me to attend 41 games a year in Buffalo, being 90 minutes away with a job and a kid and a budget. 

23 hours ago, darksabre said:

You don't need vpns if you're outside local broadcast areas. Just get NHLtv and stream. 

For the Sabres, it's not a problem. My issue is getting Bills games because everything is locked through NFL Sunday Ticket, which I can't get.

23 hours ago, LTS said:

The problem is not the technology, it's the legal broadcast/carriage agreements and the neanderthal thinking of the industry executives. 

The "sketchy" service is stealing.  If we don't allow plagiarism, quoting full articles, and links to streams on here, we really shouldn't be discussing the "$20 for 500 channels" offers that are 100% illegal.  We've had these discussions in other streaming threads.  If you want to sideload an app onto a network device that is completely untested, unmonitored, and unproven that's your choice.  But when you read about apps in the Google Play store having malware don't be surprised when you've invited the world into your network by willfully loading illegal applications.  In any event, it's still stealing.

If you want to watch the Sabres your options are move outside the Buffalo broadcast region and get NHL.tv and hope they don't play on NBCSN.  Otherwise you need a streaming service that supports MSG Sabres. 

The Bills are going to be local market only or they need to be the regional/national broadcast of CBS/Fox.  The only other option is NFL Sunday Ticket.  All streaming is constrained to the market.

All the streaming services that do nothing more than aggregate content from other sources (Fubo, PS Vue, etc.) are all going to go up in cost. For a long time they've been subsidizing the expense in an effort to legitimize streaming and gain subscribers.  Unfortunately the bill comes due and they need to start earning money.  There's no way around it.  What's worse is that the owners of the broadcast rights are forcing the external carriage rates higher in an effort to force people to their own streaming service.

Bottom line, until the industry execs change their models you will need to resort to a VPN service to change your geographic location on the Internet.  

And it's insane. I want to give them my money, and they're saying no, we don't want your money. I understand it's not about me in an individual sense for them, but it's still incredibly frustrating to try to navigate.

And on that note, does anyone have a VPN recommendation that is both reliable and has an option to set my location to the Buffalo market? Fubo ultimately seems like my best bet here to get Bills games.

It seems like (correct me if i’m wrong)

living in the buffalo area...

pay $50-$60 for internet ...

pay $55 a month for Fubo 

or pay $15-$25 per device for sling

pay a few $ a month for a vpn

or buy a roku

or buy Center ice or NHL.tv

if you have multiple TVs that can add up quick.

so in the end, I’ll be paying $120-$150 a month on average. I pay spectrum $143 a month for internet and cable now. Where exactly is the savings to make it worth my while?

Buffalo cord cutters, shed some light on where my numbers are wrong.

7 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

pay $55 a month for Fubo 

or buy a roku

so in the end, I’ll be paying $120-$150 a month on average. I pay spectrum $143 a month for internet and cable now. Where exactly is the savings to make it worth my while?

They are not.

People wanted TV a la carte. They got it,... and it is more expensive.

51 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

For the Sabres, it's not a problem. My issue is getting Bills games because everything is locked through NFL Sunday Ticket, which I can't get.

And it's insane. I want to give them my money, and they're saying no, we don't want your money. I understand it's not about me in an individual sense for them, but it's still incredibly frustrating to try to navigate.

And on that note, does anyone have a VPN recommendation that is both reliable and has an option to set my location to the Buffalo market? Fubo ultimately seems like my best bet here to get Bills games.

It's going to be tough. The closest I can get with PrivateInternetAccess is Toronto, which I guess would be the Buffalo market for football?

5 minutes ago, SwampD said:

They are not.

If my wife wasn't pretty much constantly watching college sports, could probably cut the cord.  ( pretty sure we could get Bills (OTA) and Sabres reasonably enough and could live w / out lacrosse if we couldn't find legal streams as that's the vast majority of what I'd watch.). But there's no way we could legally get all the games she wants for less than the outrageous sum we already pay to DTv.  And having Sunday Ticket is convenient though definitely not a necessity.

19 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

pay $55 a month for Fubo 

or buy a roku

The cheapest option is:

Internet: $60/mo

NHLtv: $150/yr

VPN (I use PrivateInternetAccess): $40/yr

So for about $76/mo I get the hockey I want and nothing I don't.

If I want tv I'll sign up for YouTube TV and then just cancel it later. I don't need tv all the time and it's a way better option than fighting with the cable company if I want to add/subtract tv service.

22 hours ago, SwampD said:

I’m still sick.

It's about finding a provider who has a package that fits what you want.  Of course, the goal of every company is to give you just enough of what you want so that you'll want to upgrade to that next tier.  The other thing the ISPs do, specifically cable, is that they discount your Internet in the bundle.  So, when you remove TV, the Internet cost goes back up and you're right back to paying the same or more for what you had before.

Then start comparing the # of streams, versus paying for cable boxes, versus...

A lot of people never stop to do the math.

3 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

As D4rk said... an VPN exit in Buffalo is a tough find.  If my Internet connection were fast enough I would consider setting up a private VPN network, but the upstream isn't enough to handle more than 2-3 streams and it would still kill my overall connection.  Sorry ?

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

They are not.

Yup.

What I typically do is cancel the cable TV subscription part of my Spectrum package in May/June, and then re-add it in September before the season starts.  This allows me to qualify for a package deal so my bill goes from $70/month for internet only to around $115/month for internet and cable.  It won't help you guys for this year but something to consider going forward. 

Also, I recommend calling Spectrum and trying to renegotiate - just tell them you can't justify spending that much money (whatever your bill is today) on cable TV when you spend 90% of your time watching Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/etc.  And if it doesn't work, call back every 2-7 days until you find someone that will help you.  This is what I did before I started cancelling cable in the summer.  

3 hours ago, ... said:

I pay less than $50/month for FIOS and $55 for Fubo.  That's the sum total of my internet/TV/and landline (yes, I still need one).  Way cheaper than the other options.

My current Spectrum bill is $102 (all taxes and fees).  It's the basic package of channels and 10/100 Internet.  I get MSG and NBCSN.. so I am good.

On 8/31/2019 at 9:37 PM, TrueBlueGED said:

How does the Fubo location work? Is it IP-based, or could I set my home location to say my parents' house back in the Buffalo area? My rental won't let me install a dish, so the only way for me to get the Bills games (Sabres aren't a problem because reasons) is to go to a bar. I'm not opposed, mind you, but I don't want to have to go every Sunday.

My rental doesn't allow dish installations either.  However, I've been able to get the streaming version of NFL Sunday Ticket for the last three years because my complex address made their "eligibility" list.  If you haven't already checked, might be worth a shot.  https://nflst.directv.com/

3 years ago the stream was choppy.  Last year, it was perfect HD.  Cast right from the app to the tv.

Last night right before the football game I notice NBC was no longer in my channel lineup. So I cancelled Spectrum immediately and went with YouTube TV. For everything non Sabres related, it seems fine so I may just live with that and find another way to watch the Sabres. 

I'm done with Spectrum. Their customer service is abysmal and they really stick it to you every way they can. See ya. 

I'm looking into Direct TV now but there are aspects I'm not real comfortable with either. Sigh.