What Streaming services carry MSG?

inkman

27 minutes ago, darksabre said:

None of them unless you have a cable subscription.

Fubo tv is the only one. All the others who say have MSG is only the NYC MSG, so Knicks and Rangers (who would be blacked out anyways). Fubo has the good MSG with Sabres and the instigators.

• Like (+1) 1

If I lived close to my parents, I would probably pay them $10 a month to put an extra cable box at their house and get a Slingbox.

My friend put one at his mom’s house and its how we get the Bills and whatever Sabres games are blacked out on NHLTV.com here in NJ.

So, brainiacs... help me figure this one out.... if I want to cut the cable service but still pay for internet from Spectrum. I live in the Buffalo area.

i have an older plasma tv (not smart) no USB ports. 

I have a PS4 hooked up to it via HDMI.

I don’t think Playstation Vue offers WNY MSG. Only the NYC broadcast. But maybe someone can verify this.

Fubo TV is very intriguing, but $55 a month is excessive. Especially since the only sport I watch is hockey. Most levels, most leagues. But I see the other non-sport stations Fubo offers and it’s very intriguing again lol.

Thoughts/ideas that will work with my current set up?

Anyone who is in the Buffalo area with a Fubo setup? How do you like it? Especially for Sabres games. Chime in locals!

How does the Fubo location work? Is it IP-based, or could I set my home location to say my parents' house back in the Buffalo area? My rental won't let me install a dish, so the only way for me to get the Bills games (Sabres aren't a problem because reasons) is to go to a bar. I'm not opposed, mind you, but I don't want to have to go every Sunday.

58 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

How does the Fubo location work? Is it IP-based, or could I set my home location to say my parents' house back in the Buffalo area? My rental won't let me install a dish, so the only way for me to get the Bills games (Sabres aren't a problem because reasons) is to go to a bar. I'm not opposed, mind you, but I don't want to have to go every Sunday.

IP-based if I'm not mistaken.  I seem to recall reading on their site that you can't get local content if you're out of your local area.  I would check their site, though, to verify.

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

Fubo has to be sketchy. How else could they get around all the deals made between the NHL, NBC, NHLTV, all the local sports channels and the distributors? No way it is legit.

Just sayin’.

Fubo is legal streaming if thats what you're referring to. lol

When you leave the area, you don't get the local channels anymore. So, to get MSG WNY and local channels, you have to be in the area.

11 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Set up a VPN between your house and your parents' house.  Make your parents' house your gateway.  Boom, you're "In Buffalo."  Will cost you some equipment on each end, and perhaps will need higher speeds on each ISP account, but it would work.  

Would probably be cheaper and less hassle to get IPTV, Area 51 perhaps, to have EVERYTHING.  The only thing I don't like is there is not yet a DVR for IPTV that you can set ahead of time.  (That I know of).

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It's 2019. Watching your favorite teams from a different city legally really should not be this difficult. Seriously, if I wanted to go the free route it'd be done and done, but because I want to do it legit and actually pay for service, there are 30 hoops to jump through.

Watching teams from a different city is easy. They're okay with you doing that. It's watching your team *in* your own city that they make into a huge pain in the ass.

8 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Watching teams from a different city is easy. They're okay with you doing that. It's watching your team *in* your own city that they make into a huge pain in the ass.

I'm not sure needing to tunnel through a VPN or pay for a sketchy international service that miraculously covers 6000 channels for 30 cents is "easy" in the sense that I'm talking about. It's not hard, in the technical sense, but it's a hoop I really don't want to have to jump through. 

12 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I'm not sure needing to tunnel through a VPN or pay for a sketchy international service that miraculously covers 6000 channels for 30 cents is "easy" in the sense that I'm talking about. It's not hard, in the technical sense, but it's a hoop I really don't want to have to jump through. 

You don't need vpns if you're outside local broadcast areas. Just get NHLtv and stream. 

The problem is not the technology, it's the legal broadcast/carriage agreements and the neanderthal thinking of the industry executives. 

The "sketchy" service is stealing.  If we don't allow plagiarism, quoting full articles, and links to streams on here, we really shouldn't be discussing the "$20 for 500 channels" offers that are 100% illegal.  We've had these discussions in other streaming threads.  If you want to sideload an app onto a network device that is completely untested, unmonitored, and unproven that's your choice.  But when you read about apps in the Google Play store having malware don't be surprised when you've invited the world into your network by willfully loading illegal applications.  In any event, it's still stealing.

If you want to watch the Sabres your options are move outside the Buffalo broadcast region and get NHL.tv and hope they don't play on NBCSN.  Otherwise you need a streaming service that supports MSG Sabres. 

The Bills are going to be local market only or they need to be the regional/national broadcast of CBS/Fox.  The only other option is NFL Sunday Ticket.  All streaming is constrained to the market.

All the streaming services that do nothing more than aggregate content from other sources (Fubo, PS Vue, etc.) are all going to go up in cost. For a long time they've been subsidizing the expense in an effort to legitimize streaming and gain subscribers.  Unfortunately the bill comes due and they need to start earning money.  There's no way around it.  What's worse is that the owners of the broadcast rights are forcing the external carriage rates higher in an effort to force people to their own streaming service.

Bottom line, until the industry execs change their models you will need to resort to a VPN service to change your geographic location on the Internet.  

• Like (+1) 1

When I had Fubo last season, they based the available content on the zip code I entered into my account settings (not where I actually was). So, I’d get Sabres, Pens, Rangers, etc based on my Rochester zip code. 

I could go into the settings anytime and change the zip code to a California zip code, and then I’d get Kings, Sharks, Ducks, Vegas games. I was changing the zip code all season long to get various games and it only took 5 seconds. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk

47 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

When I had Fubo last season, they based the available content on the zip code I entered into my account settings (not where I actually was). So, I’d get Sabres, Pens, Rangers, etc based on my Rochester zip code. 

I could go into the settings anytime and change the zip code to a California zip code, and then I’d get Kings, Sharks, Ducks, Vegas games. I was changing the zip code all season long to get various games and it only took 5 seconds. 

Yep,... not sketchy at all.