Hunwick out for the Season

sabills

4 minutes ago, sabills said:

yeah, but I don't think they have to be cap complaint until the season starts either:

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2015/6/25/8819603/salary-cap-salary-floor-noncompliance-why-teams-dont-cheat

Yeah, I think that's right. It doesn't give the team any more room to spend over the cap in the summer, but it gives them relief as soon as the season officially starts.

Too bad for him.

He was a decent #9/10 on the depth chart.  Guess we never see him suit up for the Sabres again as one has to believe he'll either hang 'em up if the neck injury is serious enough or would try to latch on with a team that he'd be higher up than ~8 on the depth chart next year.  (Though with Scandella & Bogosian being UFAs unlikely to be re-signed and it very likely that Seattle takes their guess at Buffalo's 4th D-man and with Ristolainen on the block, he could be 7 on the depth chart heading into next year.  If he likes it here, it's slimly possible he be back.  Would expect that more than Bogo & Marco getting re-signed at the $'s they'll get somewhere else.)

13 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

LTIR doesn’t give cap relief until the season starts, so... you still need a move.  

Can do a paper Roch transaction of Dahlin/Mittelstadt to meet the letter of the law, but chances are good one or more of Sobotka, Wilson and Nelson aren’t making the team and will have to be legitimately waived anyway.

The Sabres have no issues about getting under the cap and never did, no matter what Paul Hamilton told you.

• Like (+1) 7

Didn't see much of Hunwick but he seemed to play with passion and heart.  I'm sure this is not the way he wanted his career to end.  Hope he fully heals and can retire (if that's what he wants) on his own terms. 

Edited by Tondas
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Can do a paper Roch transaction of Dahlin/Mittelstadt to meet the letter of the law, but chances are good one or more of Sobotka, Wilson and Nelson aren’t making the team and will have to be legitimately waived anyway.

The Sabres have no issues about getting under the cap and never did, no matter what Paul Hamilton told you.

Unfortunately we'll still be on the hook for most of Sobotka's cap hit should he be sent to the AHL.

Obviously this isn’t news to Jbot.  With Bogo and Pilut possibly unable to start the season, the acquisitions of Jokiharju, and Gilmour make more sense.

As to LTIR, you don’t really get credit until you have used the entire 81.5.  In our case that will be in March.  Also we need to clear up cap for Dahlin’s bonuses and for operating budget.  This is the first step in more changes to come.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Unfortunately we'll still be on the hook for most of Sobotka's cap hit should he be sent to the AHL.

I don't care if they have to pay double his cap hit to get him off the team. He's the worst hockey player I've seen in an NHL sweater. (No I'm not counting meat heads like Peters or Ray)

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, inkman said:

I don't care if they have to pay double his cap hit to get him off the team. He's the worst hockey player I've seen in an NHL sweater. (No I'm not counting meat heads like Peters or Ray)

I'd take Rob Ray over Vladimir Sobotka...at least Ray would stick up for his teammates.

17 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Obviously this isn’t news to Jbot.  With Bogo and Pilut possibly unable to start the season, the acquisitions of Jokiharju, and Gilmour make more sense.

As to LTIR, you don’t really get credit until you have used the entire 81.5.  In our case that will be in March.  Also we need to clear up cap for Dahlin’s bonuses and for operating budget.  This is the first step in more changes to come.

I really hope John Gilmour doesn't have to be depended on in an NHL role, he's not very good at it.

He'd be deep on my list...Dahlin, Ristolainen, Montour, Miller, McCabe, Jokiharju, Pilut, Borgen, Bogosian, Scandella, Nelson.

I'd put them all ahead of Gilmour.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.