Forward Next Year - Casey Mittelstadt

GASabresIUFAN

5 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

He was a 4C last year, lol.  Just because fans kept drawing up the lines differently doesn't change the minutes and linemates he actually got were 4th line territory.

Don't have the data for early in the season, but from mid-December through the end of the year, Mittelstadt was centering the 2nd line 21 of 49 games, or a bit over 40% of the games.

And, yes, when centering the 3rd scoring line, that line was 4th in usage.  But for at least almost 60% of the year, 2 of every 5 games he got 2nd line usage.

12 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Talked to a guy down here in Westchester today at a grocery store who saw my Sabres t shirt and we got talking hockey.  Turns out he is from western ny and has had some contact with the Pegulas.  He said two things interesting.  One, they view Mitts as a 3C and were surprised and happy that Cozens dropped to them and they view him as the future 2c.  Also, otherwise the pic would have been Zegras, though they felt Zegras wasn't tough enough for NHL... nothing earth shattering, but weird that he thought front office has Mitts pegged as a 3c ceiling.  Hope any of these kind of pigeon holes lights a fire under Mitts.    PS His kid played against Zegras throughout high school as a goalie.  

If the guy you talked to isn't completely full of crap then they should just move Mittelstadt to the wing right now. His skills don't leave him well suited to a role in the bottom 6.

Mittelstadt Eichel Reinhart

Skinner Johansson Olofsson

That would actually make for a pretty talented top 6, although I'd be a little worried about both lines defensively.

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

You don't think Krueger & Botterill are in the same page?  What's your basis for THAT assumption?

As for whether Krueger wanted to see more of Cozens at present or not, his not getting pencilled into any lines as a regular his last 2-3 practices gives an indication that he didn't.  Or was that on Botterill as well?

Am willing to agree the final say on where Cozens is now was J Botts, but have no reason whatsoever to believe Ralph wasn't on board.

I honestly don't know if they are on the page.  I hope so.   What I do know is that RK has been critical of Casey's play in the preseason, and the Sabres roster is very limited at Center so IF (my assumption) JB was the one to send Cozens back to Junior, what alternatives does the coach have for 3C with the current injuries and players remaining on the roster?   

to @erickompositör72 point about the coach having the final say on the line up - I concur.   But decisions on the final 23 active roster have more to do with the GM.  Especially if your coach is a first year coach with little experience.   This is not Joel Quenneville in Florida.   Unless you have a coach with 20+ years experience where they decide the roster and the line up.  

Unless Risto is traded for a grade A RW, making Erod available for a 3C role, I don't think there is much competition for this spot...today.    

I'm also in favor of sending the kid to Roch not just to work on his game for 18-20 minutes a night but more so to send a message.   Kids today are more entitled than ever.  I think the message was received by Tage, as he seems to have worked very hard this summer.  Maybe just optics and good fodder for the media.  We'll see. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Thumbs Up to Casey for a great 1st game.  

He reminded me of the kid who flashed great talent and skill in his initial 6 games back in 2018.  He played with confidence with the puck and made two sweet passes that Sheary converted. 

OT: I saw that our boy Donskoi scored twice last night. Can't help but think how well he would fit in Vlad's spot.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.