New Gold Alternate 3rds

WildCard

Jersey opinion  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it?

2. 2. Will you buy one?

19 minutes ago, Swedish Bikini Team said:

Definitely.  Luckily I'm married as I don't think this would make for great first date banter.  However, some people may care to know if he $200-$300 jersey they just purchased is the same as the players wear while others couldn't care less and are happy to save money on one purchased from DHgate.  Others may just want to know how the new jerseys fit in comparison with ones they bought back in 2007.  Don't even get me started on customization.  There's a big difference in buying the same customized jersey from the NHL shop versus the Sabres directly or a site like Ice Jerseys.  I'll stop there before you have me committed.  

Hey, you never know if it's great first date banter until you try.

18 minutes ago, Swedish Bikini Team said:

Definitely.  Luckily I'm married as I don't think this would make for great first date banter.  However, some people may care to know if he $200-$300 jersey they just purchased is the same as the players wear while others couldn't care less and are happy to save money on one purchased from DHgate.  Others may just want to know how the new jerseys fit in comparison with ones they bought back in 2007.  Don't even get me started on customization.  There's a big difference in buying the same customized jersey from the NHL shop versus the Sabres directly or a site like Ice Jerseys.  I'll stop there before you have me committed.  

This stuff interests me a lot as well and I've always pushed people to Ice Jerseys because I find their customization to be top notch. I refuse to buy anything from the NHL shop, and I don't really know much about the quality of the stuff from the Sabres store.

4 minutes ago, darksabre said:

This stuff interests me a lot as well and I've always pushed people to Ice Jerseys because I find their customization to be top notch. I refuse to buy anything from the NHL shop, and I don't really know much about the quality of the stuff from the Sabres store.

Honestly... this is exactly the kind of stuff dark and I talked about on our first dates. He had specific interests about things I knew nothing about, I like design and find implementation processes fascinating... guess there's a reason it's been 8.5 years and we've survived my Red Wings love and his need to put the heart attack inducing life sized Bruce Smith poster up at the top of the stairs

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, josie said:

Honestly... this is exactly the kind of stuff dark and I talked about on our first dates. He had specific interests about things I knew nothing about, I like design and find implementation processes fascinating... guess there's a reason it's been 8.5 years and we've survived my Red Wings love and his need to put the heart attack inducing life sized Bruce Smith poster up at the top of the stairs

Stealing this idea

Edited by WildCard

4 minutes ago, josie said:

I really need to find somewhere to hang that thing in this current house.

13 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Well, the price difference is that this one doesn't actually look like the real ones.

It's only because we're fanatics and have a thread about jerseys here, I've read grown men critique stitching patterns over the years here ?? To many of the general public, they wouldn't see much of a difference especially at a distance. 

Plus I like to be thrifty ?

On 10/7/2019 at 9:08 AM, Taro T said:

Correct on both.  It's supposed to be just a 2 week wait on customizations, but if they get a lot of people coming in, well ...

Also, pretty sure the Sabres are charging $75 + tax for customizing the "authentics."

So, I got a couple sizes in last night. I can confirm these are WAY slimmer fitting than the old boxy Reebok. They are also a bit of hour-glassed shaped. I guess that is meant to fit closer to the waist and then flare out over your hockey pants. If you have a gut it's not the best fit. Also, the sparkly gold sort of falls in the "how do you feel about pink shirts" category. It's certainly a fabric most guys will be wearing for the first time.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

It's only because we're fanatics and have a thread about jerseys here, I've read grown men critique stitching patterns over the years here ?? To many of the general public, they wouldn't see much of a difference especially at a distance. 

Plus I like to be thrifty ?

I would buy those chinese jerseys to wear for pond hockey or something. But I'm a bit of a collector so yeah, I care about things like stitching patterns and material quality lol

I don't buy many new jerseys though. I'm all about used authentics of obscure players. That's how I get my fix without killing myself.

13 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I can't complain... 23$!!!!

I'm sorry but the quality drop off from the "authentic" is not worth the 200$ difference 

20191010_220925.jpg

20191010_220954.jpg

20191010_220949.jpg

20191010_220909.jpg

20191010_221218.jpg

Because of d4rk's comments I decided to take a closer look and compare them.  I didn't notice anything until I went and grabbed my jersey, which was from the One Buffalo site.  There are two readily obvious things that stick out to me right away:

-You have a blue outline around the logo.  That's not a part of the official.
-The official jerseys have a gold outline around the letters on the nameplate.  I don't see that on the bootleg.

Beyond that, there's a few little things:
-Your collar ties are a different material.
-The official has a venting material around the armpits.  I can't tell whether or not that the case with yours from the picture.
-There's also a different material over the shoulders on the official.  I can't tell from your picture on that one either.
-I don't have a good enough eye to tell whether or not the fonts are any different.

And here's one crazily minor feature that I'm not really sure how I actually noticed.  Your picture from the inside of the fight strap shows that the four gold stripes are separately stitched onto the outside of the jersey.  With mine, it's just two strips of the gold fabric.  The white line in between is stitched onto the outside of that gold fabric, creating that gold/white/gold pattern.  I'm assuming your arm stripes were made the same way as the lower stripes.

So to sum up the whole thing, I have one big issue with the bootleg: the logo isn't correct.

3 hours ago, SDS said:

So, I got a couple sizes in last night. I can confirm these are WAY slimmer fitting than the old boxy Reebok. They are also a bit of hour-glassed shaped. I guess that is meant to fit closer to the waist and then flare out over your hockey pants. If you have a gut it's not the best fit. Also, the sparkly gold sort of falls in the "how do you feel about pink shirts" category. It's certainly a fabric most guys will be wearing for the first time.

I don't think guys will think about it all that much.  It's such a minor feature of the jersey as a whole.  Now if the entire jersey was that sparkly gold?  That's where we get into your pink shirt analogy.  But speaking of that fabric, I'm willing to bet that they considered and all gold option with that fabric at some point during the development process.  It probably got shot down almost immediately, but I bet they looked at it.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, SDS said:

So, I got a couple sizes in last night. I can confirm these are WAY slimmer fitting than the old boxy Reebok. They are also a bit of hour-glassed shaped. I guess that is meant to fit closer to the waist and then flare out over your hockey pants. If you have a gut it's not the best fit.

If my jersey days weren’t behind me before, they are now.

12 minutes ago, shrader said:

I don't think guys will think about it all that much.  It's such a minor feature of the jersey as a whole.  Now if the entire jersey was that sparkly gold?  That's where we get into your pink shirt analogy.  But speaking of that fabric, I'm willing to bet that they considered and all gold option with that fabric at some point during the development process.  It probably got shot down almost immediately, but I bet they looked at it.

When we saw Vegas play the Sabres, I remember seeing a ton of the VGK jerseys in person. The gold striping was really easy to use as a tell between authentic and knockoff. The authentic gold has a rather smooth/luminous look to it, while the knockoff looks crunchier/didn't lay as well- like a roll of ribbon you'd get at Michaels for your fall crafts. Dark and I both remarked that we were surprised to find that we actually rather liked it- but I'm also a huge fan of black and gold together. White and gold, maybe not so much, but Eric Bodamer's work on that detailing of the bison's withers on the crest tied it all together/sold me. 

It's a good detail- the smart move is as you said- they used it as a minor feature- an accent. Gilding the silver linings of the last decade of Buffalo hell hockey... 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, josie said:

When we saw Vegas play the Sabres, I remember seeing a ton of the VGK jerseys in person. The gold striping was really easy to use as a tell between authentic and knockoff. The authentic gold has a rather smooth/luminous look to it, while the knockoff looks crunchier/didn't lay as well- like a roll of ribbon you'd get at Michaels for your fall crafts. Dark and I both remarked that we were surprised to find that we actually rather liked it- but I'm also a huge fan of black and gold together. White and gold, maybe not so much, but Eric Bodamer's work on that detailing of the bison's withers on the crest tied it all together/sold me. 

It's a good detail- the smart move is as you said- they used it as a minor feature- an accent. Gilding the silver linings of the last decade of Buffalo hell hockey... 

The Vegas jerseys are really good in person. That gold is excellent.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SDS said:

Personally, I've found buying one size up fits best.  I'm 6'2" and say 200 lbs depending on what I had for dinner.  In my everyday life I wear a size L in most shirt styles (I like a more fitted look) which equates to a size 52.  With the Adidas jerseys I'll buy a size 54 (XL).  It's a little loose but I'm not swimming in it.  It also allows room for a sweatshirt or jacket underneath.  The players probably wear 2 sizes up on the ice to account for pads (granted they don't have guts).  E-Rod is listed at 5'11" 184 lbs but wears a size 54 on the ice.  Eichel is listed at 6'2" 203 lbs and wears a 56.  Risto is 6'4" 220 lbs and wears a 58.  Hope this helps. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, josie said:

When you say knock offs, do you think it’s an authentic vs replica thing or an authentic/replica vs bootleg thing? I only ever see the jerseys in my closet at this point, so I don’t really know how steep that drop off to replica is today. 

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen a Vegas jersey in person yet. 

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Because of d4rk's comments I decided to take a closer look and compare them.  I didn't notice anything until I went and grabbed my jersey, which was from the One Buffalo site.  There are two readily obvious things that stick out to me right away:

-You have a blue outline around the logo.  That's not a part of the official.
-The official jerseys have a gold outline around the letters on the nameplate.  I don't see that on the bootleg.

Beyond that, there's a few little things:
-Your collar ties are a different material.
-The official has a venting material around the armpits.  I can't tell whether or not that the case with yours from the picture.
-There's also a different material over the shoulders on the official.  I can't tell from your picture on that one either.
-I don't have a good enough eye to tell whether or not the fonts are any different.

And here's one crazily minor feature that I'm not really sure how I actually noticed.  Your picture from the inside of the fight strap shows that the four gold stripes are separately stitched onto the outside of the jersey.  With mine, it's just two strips of the gold fabric.  The white line in between is stitched onto the outside of that gold fabric, creating that gold/white/gold pattern.  I'm assuming your arm stripes were made the same way as the lower stripes.

So to sum up the whole thing, I have one big issue with the bootleg: the logo isn't correct.

I noticed those things also, I went to page 1 of this thread when I opened it up and compared.... The armpits and the upper jersey do have the different material, and the gold piping around the name and logo suck not being there, I also think the logo is a bit Meh, but I didn't even expect to get a textured buffalo, so it's still a win for me ??

If I paid 100+ for it, I think I would be upset, but for the ones who don't need authentic and like the general look, this isn't a bad way to go. It's comfy and I don't wear jerseys enough to pay that much. 

Still I enjoy the banter over it ?

17 minutes ago, shrader said:

When you say knock offs, do you think it’s an authentic vs replica thing or an authentic/replica vs bootleg thing? I only ever see the jerseys in my closet at this point, so I don’t really know how steep that drop off to replica is today. 

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen a Vegas jersey in person yet. 

Y'know, I'm not honestly sure I can differentiate between replica/bootleg. There was a noticeable difference in quality on some of the jerseys (and there were a ton, because Tuch is from around here and an army of folks supporting him were present). Now whether those were cheapo bootlegs or simple not the super duper official version, I couldn't tell ya. 

But I could tell which ones cost big moneys, and which ones most likely didn't as they were visually inferior based off the gold fabric alone. Maybe that won't be the case with the Sabres 50th. But the gold strikes me as a finnicky special fabric that's difficult to imitate. 

23 minutes ago, Swedish Bikini Team said:

Personally, I've found buying one size up fits best.  I'm 6'2" and say 200 lbs depending on what I had for dinner.  In my everyday life I wear a size L in most shirt styles (I like a more fitted look) which equates to a size 52.  With the Adidas jerseys I'll buy a size 54 (XL).  It's a little loose but I'm not swimming in it.  It also allows room for a sweatshirt or jacket underneath.  The players probably wear 2 sizes up on the ice to account for pads (granted they don't have guts).  E-Rod is listed at 5'11" 184 lbs but wears a size 54 on the ice.  Eichel is listed at 6'2" 203 lbs and wears a 56.  Risto is 6'4" 220 lbs and wears a 58.  Hope this helps. 

It’s an arm length thing. The sleeves on the smaller sizes are just so incredibly long. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.