Back To Royal Blues!!

WildCard

31 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Why does he have black pants on?

On April 6 2003, the Sabres wore the classic blue/gold against the Devils in the final home game of the season.

The players were not aware of it until they came back into the dressing room after warm ups. So when they skated back out wearing the jersey and socks the place erupted.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I'm assuming the whole thing was a hastily assembled attempt at fan service at the end of three seasons finishing last in the division. So they only were able to get socks and jerseys, no shells, gloves, etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, darksabre said:

I'm assuming the whole thing was a hastily assembled attempt at fan service at the end of three seasons finishing last in the division. So they only were able to get socks and jerseys, no shells, gloves, etc. 

Legend has it Rip only found out shells were a thing five years ago

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

That was a one off and illconceived combo of the black and red goat head (pants and gloves) with some aweful looking, but traditional charging Buffalo with crossed sabres sweater.  Oh, and socks.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
i before e and all that jazz

17 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

I just want to see some silver in Buffalo, as in Stanley Cup silver. They could be wearing ***** Brown unis with piss yellow trim and I wouldn't care. But in the meantime, these will do just fine. 

You joke but the Padres are going back to their 70's ***** brown and piss yellow for 2020! 

Glad the sabres are finally gonna be back in Royal blue, it's about time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

This really was some weird timing for that announcement.

I wonder if they saw that every time anything gets posted about jerseys, fans riot in the comment sections, and figured that if they just unveiled the white/gold thing tomorrow and didn't say anything about royal blue, people would be more miserable than happy. Now everyone will be delirious, at least on social media 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, darksabre said:

Let's celebrate and everything. But never forget that the Sabres knew what they needed to do alllllll the way back in 2003. And they simply chose not to.

briere03.thumb.jpg.d69f917cc890ec179e030059ec0461cf.jpg

Short of an executive coming out and telling me I’m wrong, I still believe that they did want to go back to the originals all the way back then. The switch away from the Adelphia colors was obvious, but they did it at a time where, along with the ducks, they were forced to be Reebok guinea pigs. 

The only question is why they decided to ride out the navy for so long after that jersey failed miserably. A branding nightmare is my guess. 

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

I wonder if they saw that every time anything gets posted about jerseys, fans riot in the comment sections, and figured that if they just unveiled the white/gold thing tomorrow and didn't say anything about royal blue, people would be more miserable than happy. Now everyone will be delirious, at least on social media 

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, #freejame said:

I’m fairly certain the switch to road whites was the NHLs so I don’t see it happening any time soon. 

I think you're right but it still bums me.  I think the whites with the blue across the shoulders look sharp.

Once upon a time the NHL and NBA required home teams to wear white.  (Old timers like me remember the AFL rule was home colors, road whites; the NFL has always let the home team choose, which is why the Cowboys are rarely seen in blue jerseys.)  Now that everyone's in the shirt-selling business, I guess someone decided there's an advantage to colors at home.  Me, I don't see it.

16 hours ago, inkman said:

I find it odd how much as a society we care about who tells us what and when. 

15 hours ago, dudacek said:

Speaking strictly for myself, I like to know which sources to trust.

No better way of determining that than a track record.

I was gonna say. In this case, there's good reason for calling out who had the call ahead of time. It informs how you're apt to receive information going forward.

11 hours ago, I Remember Imlach said:

I think you're right but it still bums me.  I think the whites with the blue across the shoulders look sharp.

Once upon a time the NHL and NBA required home teams to wear white.  (Old timers like me remember the AFL rule was home colors, road whites; the NFL has always let the home team choose, which is why the Cowboys are rarely seen in blue jerseys.)  Now that everyone's in the shirt-selling business, I guess someone decided there's an advantage to colors at home.  Me, I don't see it.

Most teams at the time of the change had 3rd jersey with color. It was forcing road teams to bring two sets of jerseys on road trips. That’s why they switched it. 

Scrolling through the jerseys from last year, unless someone else has a new one, we will be the only team with a white 3rd. 

45 minutes ago, shrader said:

Most teams at the time of the change had 3rd jersey with color. It was forcing road teams to bring two sets of jerseys on road trips. That’s why they switched it. 

Scrolling through the jerseys from last year, unless someone else has a new one, we will be the only team with a white 3rd. 

I've always heard that explanation, but it sounds a little oldwivestaley. Is packing two sets of sweaters all that burdensome?

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I've always heard that explanation, but it sounds a little oldwivestaley. Is packing two sets of sweaters all that burdensome?

It comes up in just about every site I click on after a google search.  I'm sure we can question the validity of some of this stuff, but pretty much everything ties it to the explosion of 3rd jerseys.  Your other good reason is that teams created new uniforms, and wanting to boost sales, they wanted to wear them at home.

I'm content accepting the combination of those two explanations.  The league wants more money, that one's not shocking.  As for how burdensome it is, you need to remember that they're not just lugging around two sets of sweaters.  There's also the extra set of socks, the second helmet, and in some cases, a different shell for the pants.  It's not going to take up a back breaking amount of space, but suddenly becomes much easier to accidentally forget one piece.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.