Sign in to follow this  
Let's Go B-Lo

Hockey Gloves - Opinions?

My boy needs a new pair of gloves.  He has CCM FT390's now and they are OK.  He had True's in the past and they didn't last though the zipper palms were a good idea in concept.  He also had a pair of Eagles a couple years ago and those were awesome but I can't find them anywhere anymore.  Anybody used STX gloves?  I'm open to opinions.  He usually wears a tapered glove and I'm not married to brand.  I want something with good protection and also a palm that won't turn to dust in 3 months.

I play in CCM four rolls and I love them. Haven’t talked to anyone who wears them and doesn’t. They’ve held up perfectly fine over three years of weekly+ play and I don’t foresee me needing new gloves anytime soon. 

Eagle are the absolute best. These days I'm using Bauer or Warrior just based on I'm playing beer league and they're cheap and they work pretty well. Hockey Monkey doesn't carry Eagle anymore?

1 minute ago, ubkev said:

Eagle are the absolute best. These days I'm using Bauer or Warrior just based on I'm playing beer league and they're cheap and they work pretty well. Hockey Monkey doesn't carry Eagle anymore?

Nope, they only have 11" and 12".  I need 14" and I really don't want to have to order a full custom pair from them.

Edited by Let's Go B-Lo

If your kid likes the fit of the FT series (Jetspeed) CCM gloves, then the comparable in Bauer is going to be the Vapor line, and in Warrior is the Covert (QRE) line.

There aren't really any other options worth considering unless he's looking for a little looser fit.

Oh, and it's always been my opinion that Bauer makes the toughest palms, but I don't know if that's still the case anymore. Warrior soft goods always wore out too quick for my liking so I don't buy them anymore.

It's tough to get gear that holds up these days. Everything is meant to be lightweight. Which just means it's built to wear out.

I don't know what Eagle's quality is like these days, but if you think they might be a superior glove they might be worth the extra cost if he's done growing.

Just make sure they have padding on the outside of the pinky finger.

Pro stock or pro return gloves might be an option too. Take a look around on places like ebay. The pro stuff tends to be built a little better than the off-the-shelf stuff.

8 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I don't know what Eagle's quality is like these days, but if you think they might be a superior glove they might be worth the extra cost if he's done growing.

That's the rub.  He's only 13 and just getting started with his real growth. 90th percentile for height.

2 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

That's the rub.  He's only 13 and just getting started with his real growth. 90th percentile for height.

You're SOL on that then. Hockey is the most expensive sport in the world until they stop growing.

Just now, darksabre said:

You're SOL on that then. Hockey is the most expensive sport in the world until they stop growing.

Tell me more. the office eye roll GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

I always used GRAF gloves and loved them, but my playing day experiences are very dated now.

I wanted something that was very flexible and allowed my hand to make a fist and then open up with almost no resistance, and had super thin palms with great stick feel.

Your son should focus on what he likes and what works for him.

It's like picking out a guitar or a bicycle; you can't pick the spec that your favorite player/rider likes.  You have to pick what works for you.

18 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

My younger boy is also 13 and 90th percentile for height.   Just got him new gloves, 13's.   14's are just to big for him, he's very long and narrow build, which presents some sizing challenges.  

Anyway, I got him last years' Bauer model at a discount from Hockey Monkey.    My price point for gloves is $99 or less, no need to spend more becaue they'll grow out of them in a year or two before the palms wear out.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

My younger boy is also 13 and 90th percentile for height.   Just got him new gloves, 13's.   14's are just to big for him, he's very long and narrow build, which presents some sizing challenges.  

Anyway, I got him last years' Bauer model at a discount from Hockey Monkey.    My price point for gloves is $99 or less, no need to spend more becaue they'll grow out of them in a year or two before the palms wear out.

This is what I'm thinking and my kid has similar sizing problems.  There is a gap between the top of his glove and the bottom of his elbow pad and he can't wear bigger elbow pads because they'd fall off.  He's coming off a broken arm basically exactly where the gap is and I'm trying to do something about it.  I think the 14s are going to be too big honestly.  I was also looking at some wrist guards, particularly the Evoshield ones.

I agree with you on price point as well, I desperately waiting for Black Friday to pick him up another STX stick.  He likes the lax stick shape.

8 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

This is what I'm thinking and my kid has similar sizing problems.  There is a gap between the top of his glove and the bottom of his elbow pad and he can't wear bigger elbow pads because they'd fall off.  He's coming off a broken arm basically exactly where the gap is and I'm trying to do something about it.  I think the 14s are going to be too big honestly.  I was also looking at some wrist guards, particularly the Evoshield ones.

I agree with you on price point as well, I desperately waiting for Black Friday to pick him up another STX stick.  He likes the lax stick shape.

You might just have to buy him some slash guards, though the best ones that Jofa used to make are really hard to find now.

You could try to get creative and graft something onto his elbows. Some kids soccer shin guards might work lol

18 minutes ago, darksabre said:

You might just have to buy him some slash guards, though the best ones that Jofa used to make are really hard to find now.

You could try to get creative and graft something onto his elbows. Some kids soccer shin guards might work lol

The Evoshield thing is interesting and i have experience with it from baseball.  It works like an instant set splint in that it comes out soft and moldable and then sets hard after about 20 minutes so it forms really well to your body.  It holds in place with a neoprene sleeve so it doesn't move around and it's pretty low profile so it doesn't get in the way.  https://www.evoshield.com/en-us/protective-gear/wrist-guards/protective-slash-guard

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Let's Go B-Lo said:

The Evoshield thing is interesting and i have experience with it from baseball.  It works like an instant set splint in that it comes out soft and moldable and then sets hard after about 20 minutes so it forms really well to your body.  It holds in place with a neoprene sleeve so it doesn't move around and it's pretty low profile so it doesn't get in the way.  https://www.evoshield.com/en-us/protective-gear/wrist-guards/protective-slash-guard

Interesting. That might be the ticket instead of going with longer gloves that might end up being too sloppy. 

• Like (+1) 1