Athletic Article - Contracted 12 Team League (Hypothetical)

Taro T

The Athletic had an interesting article for a slow news summer day.  They imagined the league as a 12 team league (with representatives of the original 6 & 2nd 6 as the teams).

They let (made in the case of a couple of them) each team keep 4 players and then drafted the rest of the teams with each team having 18 skaters & 2 goalies.  The idea was to draft for a "win now" team rather than build with youth that aren't there yet.

The Sabres ended up quite well represented with 3 forwards & 3 D.  Eichel was the Snarks top C; Skinner the Pens top LW and Dahlin was their 2nd LD-man.  Reinhart was Detroit 4C (huh?).  With Miller and Ristolainen rounding out the lists as the 3RD for Filly and Boston respectively.

Surprised no Montour.

So nearly 30% of the Sabres skaters were selected and they made up 2.5% of the total players selected (where the average # of players selected from each team would be 2.58).

So, at least the Athletic writers seem to believe the Sabres have some talent.

Athletic Link

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Reinhart was Detroit 4C (huh?)

In a league contracted that much, that's not out of line.  Funny people still want to label him a C.

I'm not sure the problem is top talent as such (although 2C is still an issue).  It's middle to bottom talent that sucks.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

In a league contracted that much, that's not out of line.  Funny people still want to label him a C.

I'm not sure the problem is top talent as such (although 2C is still an issue).  It's middle to bottom talent that sucks.

He should have made the list (pretty sure everybody w/ at least 60 points made the cut).  The issue is, wtf do they have him listed at a position he hasn't played more than 10 games in the NHL over 4+ seasons.

34 minutes ago, shrader said:

Snarks?  I'm assuming this means they awarded the Golden Seals team to San Jose?

Yep.  And the Minnesota team was a combo of Dallas and St. Paul for their 4 protected players.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Yep.  And the Minnesota team was a combo of Dallas and St. Paul for their 4 protected players.

If I'm one of these hypothetica GMs, I'm pissed that they get to choose from two different rosters.

On a side note, no massive contraction of any league should result in a teal jersey still in existence.

• Like (+1) 1

The darn thing is, if there were only 12 teams... my guess is only half that top end talent would be available... guys like Matthews and some of the cali guys would never have gotten into hockey... others like Ovi and Dhalin would never have come to the states and would be playing in some international league in Russia or Europe... so the whole premise is faulty.  How many top end talent would actually be there except guys from northern states and Canada??

Edited by North Buffalo

22 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

The darn thing is, if there were only 12 teams... my guess is only half that top end talent would be available... guys like Matthews and some of the cali guys would never have gotten into hockey... others like Ovi and Dhalin would never have come to the states and would be playing in some international league in Russia or Europe... so the whole premise is faulty.  How many top end talent would actually be there except guys from northern states and Canada??

Seriously?  The idea was just supposed to be something fun to while away some down time.

They projected those rosters against each other & against the 31 real teams.  The weakest team would project out (not sure of the metrics used) to have a 107 point season vs real teams and the best would've been 130.  Going against each other, the projections were 84-100 points.  So they did end up fairly balanced overall.

You are WAAAAY over thinking this. ?

And my point was that the Sabres seem to be given more credit for having talent nationally than we tend to expect to hear.

14 hours ago, Taro T said:

Seriously?  The idea was just supposed to be something fun to while away some down time.

They projected those rosters against each other & against the 31 real teams.  The weakest team would project out (not sure of the metrics used) to have a 107 point season vs real teams and the best would've been 130.  Going against each other, the projections were 84-100 points.  So they did end up fairly balanced overall.

You are WAAAAY over thinking this. ?

And my point was that the Sabres seem to be given more credit for having talent nationally than we tend to expect to hear.

I say that if the North Stars get to pull from two rosters, they should have an extra layer of drafting where everyone else gets to claim one team.  We're 1 short of 32 teams right now, so maybe the Blues draw the short straw because they just won the cup.  It would be fun to see who wins the right to be paired up with Edmonton.

19 minutes ago, shrader said:

I say that if the North Stars get to pull from two rosters, they should have an extra layer of drafting where everyone else gets to claim one team.  We're 1 short of 32 teams right now, so maybe the Blues draw the short straw because they just won the cup. It would be fun to see who wins the right to be paired up with Edmonton.

Veddy confused.  12 x 2 = 24.  Why short Blues?

And giving Minny both the Stars & the Wild is providing an (almost definitely unintentional) homage to the No Stars & the Snarks history.  The Seals went through a few iterations (Oakland Seals, California Seals, California Golden Seals, etc) before uprooting to Cleveland before getting folded into the No Stars when the WHA 4 were absorbed (Note, PA, not adsorbed ? ) and then finally split back out when the No Stars left the "State of Hockey" with 10,000 lakes, 2,400 streams, 37 college squads, and 0 major league teams.

If not for Bettman's fecklessness, that advantage would still to this date not have provided the Stars enough of an edge to be allowed to bring home Lord Stanley's hardware.

If any team needs (and won't ultimately benefit from) having 2 teams to pick the bones of, it's Minnesota.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Veddy confused.  12 x 2 = 24.  Why short Blues?

And giving Minny both the Stars & the Wild is providing an (almost definitely unintentional) homage to the No Stars & the Snarks history.  The Seals went through a few iterations (Oakland Seals, California Seals, California Golden Seals, etc) before uprooting to Cleveland before getting folded into the No Stars when the WHA 4 were absorbed (Note, PA, not adsorbed ? ) and then finally split back out when the No Stars left the "State of Hockey" with 10,000 lakes, 2,400 streams, 37 college squads, and 0 major league teams.

If not for Bettman's fecklessness, that advantage would still to this date not have provided the Stars enough of an edge to be allowed to bring home Lord Stanley's hardware.

If any team needs (and won't ultimately benefit from) having 2 teams to pick the bones of, it's Minnesota.

For some reason I was thinking 16 teams as opposed to just 12.  So you can throw my post out completely.  But on that note, I say Boston loses everyone because they're Boston.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.