Does Risto want out?

matter2003

On 8/18/2019 at 9:48 AM, freester said:

The leafs are much improved with Tyson Barrie. He’s going to have a monster year. 

You think he can log 40+  minutes - cause the rest of their D is pretty thin after him and Reilly. Just Muzzin, and he's getting long in the tooth. D will still be their weakness and I think Barrie is only a small upgrade from Gardner.

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

When will this turn into a public trade request?

It seems pretty clear to me that the request has already been privately made.

There has to have been and most certainly continue to be conversations between Botts and other GM's on Risto. Some teams need a skill set such as that. Will it happen? Most likely, but who really knows, maybe they are all trying to low ball Botts?

46 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

There has to have been and most certainly continue to be conversations between Botts and other GM's on Risto. Some teams need a skill set such as that. Will it happen? Most likely, but who really knows, maybe they are all trying to low ball Botts?

Other GMs know the scoop.  The Sabres have a glut of NHL level D now, so they will be low balling JBOT.  The waiting on RFAs is a load of crap.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

When will this turn into a public trade request?

It seems pretty clear to me that the request has already been privately made.

I don't think Risto has explicitly asked for a trade. I think he explicitly voiced his displeasure with being on a bad team for so many years and likely offered something along the lines of "I want to play on a better team and I don't care how that happens."

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

I don't think Risto has explicitly asked for a trade. I think he explicitly voiced his displeasure with being on a bad team for so many years and likely offered something along the lines of "I want to play on a better team and I don't care how that happens."

I don’t think it was a Denis Lemieux “trade me right ***** now,” I don’t think Risto is wired that way.

Regardless how it was phrased, I think he reached the point of “I can’t take any more of this” and a summer away and the moves we have made don’t seem to have refreshed him.

I will not be surprised if he comes to camp with a huge chip on his shoulder and the potential for being a distraction. And the only thing that will remove that chip is winning.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don’t think it was a Denis Lemieux “trade me right ***** now,” I don’t think Risto is wired that way.

Regardless how it was phrased, I think he reached the point of “I can’t take any more of this” and a summer away and the moves we have made don’t seemed to have refreshed him.

I will not be surprised if he comes to camp with a huge chip on his shoulder and the potential for being a distraction. And the only thing that will remove that chip is winning.

I can see it from Risto's perspective. You've been taking a beating for years now. You've had a handful of coaches. Maybe you don't like your teammates too much. You're not excited to come back for another season of the same faces, in the same lockers and the same city.

Maybe a good camp would get him back in the right head space. Or maybe camp becomes a pressure cooker and he blows up. Either is possible, and understandable.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

For those freaking out about having to trade Risto or Botterill being in a corner... Botterill does not have to trade Risto. He can literally start the year with Risto, Miller, and Montour on the right. Nelson is the extra and Jokiharju starts in Rochester. As for cap concerns, you waive 2 players and are cap compliant. This is a non issue and one of the reasons nothing has happened. It hasn't happened because it doesn't have to happen. Low ball Bots all you want, he can simply not make a trade. 

• Like (+1) 5

If you go by points, the Sabres worst off-seasons ever were:

2013 (dropped 30 points)* We traded our best players for picks, hired Ron Rolston and deliberately bottomed out

2008 (23 points) We let our co-captains walk for free

1978 (17 points) We sat on our ‘75 team one more season

1990 (17 points) we made one of the biggest trades in franchise history, Housley for Hawerchuk

2001 (16 points) We dumped Hasek for nothing

1986 (16 points) We brought in a handful of over-the-hill vets and counted on Scotty’s young core to take a big step

2017 (16 points) We fired Murray and Bylsma and brought in Botterill and Housley

The best were:

1972 (improved by 37 points) Added Schoenfeld as a rookie to the emerging young core Punch had assembled the previous two years.

1974 (37 points) Added Stanfield, hired Floyd Smith and got healthy

2015 (27 points) Added Eichel O‘Reilly, Kane and Lehner

2004 (25 points)* Dumped Satan and Brown, Added Lydman, had the youngsters take a huge step during the lockout.

1979 (22 points) Fired Imlach, Added Bowman, traded Robert for Van Boxmeer

1987 (21 points) Rookie trio of Shepard, Turgeon, Johansson, replaced fired Bowman with Meehan and Sator.

1996 (19 points) Lost Lafontaine to injury most of the season

It’s interesting that only once (2015) was a huge jump in the standings preceded by a flashy off-season of major additions.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.