Does Risto want out?

matter2003

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

There’s a segment out there who might think Miller is better than Risto. Miller got a 2nd and a 5th.

Theres another segment who think Risto is better than Montour. Montour got a first and a solid prospect.

Vegas was in a cap crunch too

Frankly, I'm tired about talking about Risto.  If he's here opening day, great, he's an asset to the club.  If he's not, great, we will bring an asset(s) in return.  I'm just going to let JBOT do what he thinks is in the best interest of the club.  To me. it's a win-win.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

There are any number of teams that could decide to make a push in this direction, a strong team would ideally be his best bet.  A veteran team like Dallas, Winnipeg or Anaheim does make a ton of sense, but anyone who makes a "great" offer can have him for that unbeatable price. 

9 hours ago, sweetlou said:

Looking at trades this summer of Subban and Trouba and trying to figure out a realistic expectation in trade value for Risto.

Trouba landed a young d prospect and 1st rd pick.  Jets knew they could not resign him and was trying to get the best value in a return.

Subban to me was a salary dump by Nashville and they were still able to get two prospects and two 2nd round picks.

I believe Risto's value is somewhere in between.  He is not going to garner a top 6 forward, but he should be able to get you a prospect and 1st or 2nd rd pick.  His value is still in the potential that a change of teams could provide and that he is on a good contract for three more years.  

Still see the Jets or Stars as ultimate destination.

Buffalo would be better served keeping him if that’s the case 

1 hour ago, Tondas said:

Frankly, I'm tired about talking about Risto.  If he's here opening day, great, he's an asset to the club.  If he's not, great, we will bring an asset(s) in return.  I'm just going to let JBOT do what he thinks is in the best interest of the club.  To me. it's a win-win.

Surplus on D and a deficit at forward. Team will be less than the sum of it's parts if Risto (or someone else on D) isn't moved for forward help. 

I think the offers so far have been lowball offers. teams trying to replicate a ROR situation and JBot went out of his way to say "he didn't have to make a trade" to counter that. Trading is often all about perception and if it comes across that we need/want to dump him we get a lower return. I would not be surprised at all if nothing happens and we start the season with Risto in the mix. Then, after seeing how things go, he could even be trade before the deadline when teams are ALWAYS looking for additional D men for cup runs.  So I think he likely starts the season in Buffalo, but if he does not excel in the new system (whatever that turns out to be) he will be moved before the season ends and it'll probably be just for draft picks or prospects

A good 2C for Risto just ain't going to happen. . 

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I think the offers so far have been lowball offers. teams trying to replicate a ROR situation and JBot went out of his way to say "he didn't have to make a trade" to counter that. Trading is often all about perception and if it comes across that we need/want to dump him we get a lower return. I would not be surprised at all if nothing happens and we start the season with Risto in the mix. Then, after seeing how things go, he could even be trade before the deadline when teams are ALWAYS looking for additional D men for cup runs.  So I think he likely starts the season in Buffalo, but if he does not excel in the new system (whatever that turns out to be) he will be moved before the season ends and it'll probably be just for draft picks or prospects

I totally agree. A good 2C is what, at worst the 5th best player on any given team?  You figure, 1C, a top winger, a top D, and possibly a goaltender could rated higher.

The suggestions that Risto, alone, brings back a good 2C are quite hopeful.  It'll have to be a package deal, one that potentially moves a few players and the Sabres aren't even in a position to help a team out with a salary dump as they are over the cap as well.

Settle in that any Risto trade is likely to get a serviceable player and potentially a pick that can be used to improve the lineup later.  Yes, later.  Much to some people's chagrin.

Between the Lightning and Leafs loading up this season and the Bruins probably going all in trying to get as much in the waning years of their super stars, the Sabres, even with a 2C, are fighting a steep uphill climb into the playoffs.  

I don't disagree Risto alone cannot bring in a 2C, but, who knows what Botts can do. With that said, a package deal yea, I can see that happening. As for the Cap scenario being an issue to take back salary, we have to many left handed shots as it is, Botts could move a couple of bodies, even if he has to tie a pick to them, in order to free up some cap, I don't see it as a major issue.

2 hours ago, LTS said:

I totally agree. A good 2C is what, at worst the 5th best player on any given team?  You figure, 1C, a top winger, a top D, and possibly a goaltender could rated higher.

The suggestions that Risto, alone, brings back a good 2C are quite hopeful.  It'll have to be a package deal, one that potentially moves a few players and the Sabres aren't even in a position to help a team out with a salary dump as they are over the cap as well.

Settle in that any Risto trade is likely to get a serviceable player and potentially a pick that can be used to improve the lineup later.  Yes, later.  Much to some people's chagrin.

Between the Lightning and Leafs loading up this season and the Bruins probably going all in trying to get as much in the waning years of their super stars, the Sabres, even with a 2C, are fighting a steep uphill climb into the playoffs.  

This is why I've said previously that I expect the Sabres would trade Risto for anyone that is an upgrade to their top 6, maybe even top 9. Pretty much any player Risto would bring back will be an upgrade given the current state of things. 

On 8/16/2019 at 1:51 PM, sweetlou said:

Looking at trades this summer of Subban and Trouba and trying to figure out a realistic expectation in trade value for Risto.

Trouba landed a young d prospect and 1st rd pick.  Jets knew they could not resign him and was trying to get the best value in a return.

Subban to me was a salary dump by Nashville and they were still able to get two prospects and two 2nd round picks.

I believe Risto's value is somewhere in between.  He is not going to garner a top 6 forward, but he should be able to get you a prospect and 1st or 2nd rd pick.  His value is still in the potential that a change of teams could provide and that he is on a good contract for three more years.  

Still see the Jets or Stars as ultimate destination.

Jets knew he wouldn't stay with them, but he also made it worse by stating he would only go to the Rangers because he wanted to be in New York for his girlfriend.

A d man that usually would have gotten at least two first rounders and a prospect.   I don't think you can compare him or subban for a possible risto return.

personally I would want a top 6 NHL player coming back + a 1st round pick.

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Is Risto an old piece of furniture the Sabres don’t want or need any more, or have to get rid of in order to pay the bills? Because that’s the only time this scenario applies. It don’t think it’s been established yet that Risto is a piece the Sabres want to move like Kane, or a piece they are willing to move in order to get something they want, like Foligno.

3 hours ago, LTS said:

Looking strictly at talent in and out, I thought the leafs and the Lightning probably got a little worse this year.

They were so far above the Sabres that it’s irrelevant, but I certainly don’t see them as “loading up”

Edited by dudacek

37 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Is Risto an old piece of furniture the Sabres don’t want or need any more, or have to get rid of in order to pay the bills? Because that’s the only time this scenario applies. It don’t think it’s been established yet that Risto is a piece the Sabres want to move like Kane, or a piece they are willing to move in order to get something they want, like Foligno.

Looking strictly at talent in and out, I thought the leafs and the Lightning probably got a little worse this year.

They were so far above the Sabres that it’s irrelevant, but I certainly don’t see them as “loading up”

The leafs are much improved with Tyson Barrie. He’s going to have a monster year. 

On 8/18/2019 at 9:48 AM, freester said:

The leafs are much improved with Tyson Barrie. He’s going to have a monster year. 

Maybe.

I think people are fooling themselves if they think he’s a big upgrade on Gardiner. Very similar players.

Sparks, Ennis, Hainsey Ozhiganov, Zaitsev, Brown and Marleau are hardly key guys, but the best guys they brought in to replace them were 90-year-old 25-point man Jason Spezza and Cody Ceci, the guy most Senators fans wanted punted into the sun?

And Alexander Kerfoot is no Nazem Kadri. There are a lot of Northeastern players glad they no longer have to match up with that dick. Not sure how the Leafs a planning to fill his role.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Maybe.

I think people are fooling themselves if they think he’s a big upgrade on Gardiner. Very similar players.

Sparks, Ennis, Hainsey Ozhiganov and Marleau are hardly key guys, but the best guys they brought in to replace them were 90-year-old 25-point man Jason Spezza and Cody Ceci, the guy most Senators fans wanted punted into the sun?

And Alexander Kerfoot is no Nazem Kadri. There are a lot of Northeastern players glad they no longer have to match up with that dick. Not sure how the Leafs a planning to fill his role.

Also the leafs will have Nylander playing a full year 

4 hours ago, LTS said:

It's all well and good to look at the micro, the feasibility of Botterill being able to acquire a 2C in the next month, but more important still is the macro. It doesn't matter what the situation currently looks like through the prism of the moment, the fact of the matter is that, entering into his his THIRD season as GM, there's just no viable excuse for not having a true 2C on the roster at this point. Three seasons is enough time, it's his own fault he traded the one we already had. 

If Botterill doesn't make a trade, and Mitts succeeds beyond expectations in the 2C role this year, fantastic. But if we are looking at putrid C play for another year, the blame falls squarely on the GM. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Quite interesting. GMs say this stuff all the time and then the guy gets traded, but it definitely seems like they are at least preparing for a situation where he stays. 

Hope is not a strategy. Rebellions are built on hope. Take your pick.

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.