Does Risto want out?

matter2003

Oilers have always been a bad fit because the can’t afford to lose Nuge.

But can we make it bigger? What if we send them somebody to ride shotgun with McDavid while Draisaitl settles in as 2C?

How about Risto and Olofsson for Nugent-Hopkins-Hopkins and a sweetener, or Risto and Sheary for Nugent-Hopkins and a cap dump?

3 minutes ago, French Collection said:

He may be a great fit in Winnipeg with them losing Trouba and Myers. He would be behind Byflugien, in the second pairing.

The return has been debated here before, I suspect Ehlers or Roslovic and a prospect/pick. I would be interested in LHD Sami Niku.

The gap between Ehlers and Roslovic is huge, IMO.

I don’t see Roslovic as without value, but he’s less likely to solve our top six issues than Casey is.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

But can we make it bigger? What if we send them somebody to ride shotgun with McDavid while Draisaitl settles in as 2C?

How about Risto and Olofsson for Nugent-Hopkins-Hopkins and a sweetener, or Risto and Sheary for Nugent-Hopkins and a cap dump?

I don't want them to give up VO yet and see him thrive on McDavid's wing. Sheary I am fine with.

10 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Even though I don't think Olofsson has some large amount of trade value, I would basically refuse to give him up unless he was a piece in a deal where the return was stupid good.

I agree with everything here. The list of players I would move him in a deal for is very small and headlines by Matthew Tkachuk. 

VO is likely rated substantially higher by Sabres fans than the rest of the league. 

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Even though I don't think Olofsson has some large amount of trade value, I would basically refuse to give him up unless he was a piece in a deal where the return was stupid good.

If I was a completely objective, unbiased observer, I would say you are utterly blinded by recency  bias and would be foolish to hang on so tightly to an unproven, unheralded 24-year-old prospect.

But I am not unbiased, so I can’t disagree.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

The gap between Ehlers and Roslovic is huge, IMO.

I don’t see Roslovic as without value, but he’s less likely to solve our top six issues than Casey is.

I’m not a Roslovic fan, that’s why I added a pick or prospect. Roslovic could be a 3C, I don’t think his ceiling is a 2C.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I could see Canucks, Edmonton and Calgary all being interested in the player, but I don’t see a fit for the trade.

You want an out-of-the-box destination? How about Dallas? They’ve got forwards and Risto Heiskanen Lindell Kilngberg makes for an intriguing top four.

Calgary now admits it needs a defenseman. There's a lot I'd like from that forward roster.

5 minutes ago, mphs mike said:

Calgary now admits it needs a defenseman. There's a lot I'd like from that forward roster.

That’s kinda why I proposed (Even if it’s an overpayment). Tkachuk for Risto, Olofsson, 2021 and 2022 1st. 

If one was optimistic, one could think those 1sts won’t be top 15 anyway.

they get a prime aged top 4 D who has bite to his game and can get you 40 pts a year, a slow cooked younger winger who has great potential in the right system, and two nice pieces for building towards the future.

8 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

That’s kinda why I proposed (Even if it’s an overpayment). Tkachuk for Risto, Olofsson, 2021 and 2022 1st. 

If one was optimistic, one could think those 1sts won’t be top 15 anyway.

they get a prime aged top 4 D who has bite to his game and can get you 40 pts a year, a slow cooked younger winger who has great potential in the right system, and two nice pieces for building towards the future.

I think I might do that deal. Love me some Tkachuk.

But I also think I’d rather do an offer sheet.

Would you rather have Olofsson and Ristolainen or two firsts. I think I’d tprather have the players.

Of course there is the cap to worry about.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Hintz for Risto?

I think Faska is the more realistic option.  He is big, can play 2C, defensively responsible, plays PK, 50% on face-offs. He is only 25 and will be an RFA after this season. 

Dallas would be a good fit for Risto as they have a veteran team and are built to win now with recent acquisitions over summer in Pavelski and Perry. 

I would be inclined to make a Risto and Girgensons trade to Dallas for Faska and Comeau.  

Just now, inkman said:

What if he can't help us do anything good?

Same risk with any player.  As we saw with KO, a once excellent player who was contributing gets hurt and it never the same.  

I think this is our first opportunity since he's been here where he doesn't have to be the man on defense.  That additions of Montour, Dahlin, and Miller give the team so much better depth that HCRK might actually be able to find the highest and best use of his considerable talents.  If HCRK can find the right slot for him and PT then he should be able to help us.

As to whether or not he'll want out even if we succeed is probably moot.   Jbot will probably move him anyway once his trade value is maximizing because he needs the cap space and has Montour, MIller, Jokiharju and Borgen to take over.

On 8/14/2019 at 10:07 AM, LGR4GM said:

Canadian team and my guess is Winnipeg. 

I'll totally base my views on that potential deal on the return, of course, but part of me doesn't want to see a deal with Winnipeg due to how much crap about it I'll have to endure over here, regardless of objective analysis of the trade.

23 hours ago, dudacek said:

Expecting ?

Opinion is so varied on Risto, I could almost see anything from him swapped for a stopgap pending UFA middle-six forward like Eakin, to being a centrepiece in a package for a greedy young stud like Tkachuk.

Im expecting pretty much anything.

Give me all the Greedy Young Studs! Hunky newcomers, whatever. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

I think it's  Anaheim as well.

Hoping for Rakell……..

Am I the only one who think it would be weird if Anaheim flipped Montour to us for futures, then acquired Risto in a separate deal a few months later? Why not just keep Montour?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Am I the only one who think it would be weird if Anaheim flipped Montour to us for futures, then acquired Risto in a separate deal a few months later? Why not just keep Montour?

This is a good question. I'm not sure what was going on there in Anaheim with Montour. Maybe they saw the young LHD and 1st rd pick as a part of their rebuild as they did have a few large contracts that were attached to older players.

Perry is gone, that leaves Getzlaf and Kesler with 2 good sized contracts yet, I see further moves from them in the next season or 2. But I believe they would be enticed with younger talent, Risto helps them in the next 3, but attach one of our young up and comers with him, or a 1st, and, while I am hesitant to say it, Rakell could most likely be made available in some package deal.

Looking at trades this summer of Subban and Trouba and trying to figure out a realistic expectation in trade value for Risto.

Trouba landed a young d prospect and 1st rd pick.  Jets knew they could not resign him and was trying to get the best value in a return.

Subban to me was a salary dump by Nashville and they were still able to get two prospects and two 2nd round picks.

I believe Risto's value is somewhere in between.  He is not going to garner a top 6 forward, but he should be able to get you a prospect and 1st or 2nd rd pick.  His value is still in the potential that a change of teams could provide and that he is on a good contract for three more years.  

Still see the Jets or Stars as ultimate destination.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.