OT: Who you sitting with in the Sabres Cafeteria?

Brawndo

Table 1 with RJ is the obvious choice; I can listen to his stories all day long.

Second choice is easily Table 10.  The stories would be equally good (though not as varied or going back as far) and I have no doubt I'd be laughing with tears flowing soon enough.

It also helps that at Table 10 I can lean over and talk to Dom at Table 9!  Who would probably be one of the most entertaining guys in the room.  You have to remember, the guy is insane, and maybe the best goalie of all time to boot.

Edited by Kruppstahl

One thing that’s always bothered me about RJ is Buffalo fans would have you believe he’s Vin Scully, when he really isn’t even close. RJ has always been incredibly polarizing outside of Buffalo and hasn’t aged well, particularly on the radio. Vin Scully was beloved by all and went out on top of his game. 

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

One thing that’s always bothered me about RJ is Buffalo fans would have you believe he’s Vin Scully, when he really isn’t even close. RJ has always been incredibly polarizing outside of Buffalo and hasn’t aged well, particularly on the radio. Vin Scully was beloved by all and went out on top of his game. 

So let me get this straight… What’s always bothered you about RJ is the Buffalo fans love for him? 

giphy.gif

No matter how hard some fans try to knock him down, the vast vast vast majority will always love RJ. Even with the mistakes he makes. It’s just not that big of a deal.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

So let me get this straight… What’s always bothered you about RJ is the Buffalo fans love for him? 

giphy.gif

No matter how hard some fans try to knock him down, the vast vast vast majority will always love RJ. Even with the mistakes he makes. It’s just not that big of a deal.

It’s not something that bothers me about RJ, its something that bothers me about the conversation around RJ and Buffalo fans sentiment towards him. It would be akin to Sabres fans saying Gilbert was as good as Gretzky. He hasn’t been good in at least 5+ years and is nearly impossible to follow on the radio. It’s kind of a big deal. If the powers that be want to keep him in the booth then fine, whatever. But at least hire a radio broadcaster so people can follow the team without a television and a replacement will have a great connection to the team when RJ does leave. He just isn’t very good anymore and people are in denial about it. 

Edited by #freejame

2 minutes ago, #freejame said:

It’s not something that bothers me about RJ, its something that bothers me about the conversation around RJ and Buffalo fans sentiment towards him. It would be akin to Sabres fans saying Gilbert was as good as Gretzky. He hasn’t been good in at least 5+ years and is nearly impossible to follow on the radio. It’s kind of a big deal. If the powers that be want to keep him in the booth then fine, whatever. But at least hire a radio broadcaster so people can follow the team without a television and a replacement will have a great connection to the team when RJ does leave. He just isn’t very good anymore and people are in denial about it. 

I don't think anyone is in denial about the fact that he's lost his touch a bit. He has good games and bad games. 

But the key point here is that most of us don't care that he's not the same old RJ all the time. It's not sad yet like it was with Van Miller, so screw it. 

I don't feel like taking Grandpa's car keys away yet. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.