2020-2021 Lineup Thread

darksabre

30 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I’m not gonna personally read into JB’s comments. Maybe just maybe he doesn’t want to publicly say what he’s thinking and what he’s planing. And good for him. Sucks for fans who want to know exactly what his plans are. 

Sucks even more for fans who want the leader to reassure them that things are going to get better.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Sucks even more for fans who want the leader to reassure them that things are going to get better.

Of course this is sports and its a business.  So, even if he said it, it might not be true.  Just like athletes saying "They never wanted to leave."  There's an amount of public statement that can be made and it doesn't necessarily ever align with the truth.

40 minutes ago, LTS said:

Of course this is sports and its a business.  So, even if he said it, it might not be true.  Just like athletes saying "They never wanted to leave."  There's an amount of public statement that can be made and it doesn't necessarily ever align with the truth.

While I’d prefer truth, that’s not what I’m asking for.

What I’m really looking for here is leadership.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

My guess for next season based on what I heard from Jason yesterday:

Olofsson - Eichel - Reinhart
Skinner - Kahun - Simmonds (re-signed) or Anderson (Trade)
Mojo - Mitts - Tage/Cozens
Asplund/Ruotsalainen - Lazar - Okposo

Dahlin - Montour
McCabe - Jokharju
Miller - Risto

Ullmark
Hutton

I think he'll try to move an RHD for forward depth, but since he talked about building more depth rather than getting top end guys, I don't anticipate a big splash up front.

Sadly this is probably pretty close.

Larsson made small waves about being tired of this losing before so unless he gets hugely overpaid or gets no good other offers I can't see him wanting to be here any longer. vesey, I have no idea. Girgs? Maybe Columbus will give him an offer. They seem to like their Latvians.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

My guess for next season based on what I heard from Jason yesterday:

Olofsson - Eichel - Reinhart
Skinner - Kahun - Simmonds (re-signed) or Anderson (Trade)
Mojo - Mitts - Tage/Cozens
Asplund/Ruotsalainen - Lazar - Okposo

Dahlin - Montour
McCabe - Jokharju
Miller - Risto

Ullmark
Hutton

I think he'll try to move an RHD for forward depth, but since he talked about building more depth rather than getting top end guys, I don't anticipate a big splash up front.

This would be a disaster, DOA before the season starts, again. 

Not only is 2C unaddressed, Mitts will not provide nearly as much for this team as Larsson has. We'll be worse next year with this lineup. 

If that's the plan, it's certainly an unacceptable one. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

According to this site, elliotte Friedman said Dylan strome  is on the market.

89 points in 116 Hawk games. Just finished his ELC so he’s an RFA this summer.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/blackhawks-dylan-strome-is-available-for-trade-per-report/ar-BB12eDQG

Never been a fan, personally, but...

I'd be surprised if Strome wasn't a Sabre by October.

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

Like I said in the past, I’d really like them to concentrate on speed but if they can’t come up with a better option......

I'd at least be intrigued enough to go watch some of his Chicago games. Like you imply, I think he'll wind up being the best available option.

Edited by Randall Flagg

2 hours ago, freester said:

What would it cost us to obtain Strome?  I am intrigued.

Friedman says not much. He was traded not even two years ago, but at the time his value was mostly as a prospect, not a player - pretty much Casey Mittelstadt. He was traded along with a lesser prospect for a guy who was then more or less what Victor Olofsson was this year.

Now he’s more player than prospect : basically a slow, skilled, low-end 2C who can play with talent, but can’t elevate his linemates or win most matchups,, but still might get better. 

I have no idea what the Hawks are looking for. Internet says maybe an LHD?

I wouldn’t move a Montour or a Risto, but Id talk Miller or McCabe. Like I said earlier, I’m not a fan, but Botterill’s taste in players is often different than mine.

I agree with the posts above: he might be the best option available at a price we can pay.

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

basically a slow, skilled, low-end 2C who can play with talent, but can’t elevate his linemates or win most matchups,, but still might get better. 

I've never heard a better Derek Plante description.  It would be an upgrade.  Is it enough upgrade?

• Like (+1) 2

I'd take him in a minute.  I don't think he is slow at all.  He is not a burner, but he is faster then Sam Reinhart for example.  

I also like that he has size.  Kirby Dach is essentially beating him out for the 2C job, making him expendable.  Chicago also is close to the cap and needs to re-sign their version of VO; 30 goal scorer Dom Kubalik.  What's also nice is that he can move to wing if Cozens develops as I expect.  I'd bet Chicago will want some cap certainty in the deal.

I'd trade Miller and something for him.  How about Storme and Koekkoek for Miller, Fitzgerald and Asplund?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'd take him in a minute.  I don't think he is slow at all.  He is not a burner, but he is faster then Sam Reinhart for example.  

I also like that he has size.  Kirby Dach is essentially beating him out for the 2C job, making him expendable.  Chicago also is close to the cap and needs to re-sign their version of VO; 30 goal scorer Dom Kubalik.  What's also nice is that he can move to wing if Cozens develops as I expect.  I'd bet Chicago will want some cap certainty in the deal.

I'd trade Miller and something for him.  How about Storme and Koekkoek for Miller, Fitzgerald and Asplund?

Uh-oh.  Now you've done it.  Fire and brimstone incoming.

I agree with you though that Strome is faster than Reino and I too would trade Miller plus something else for him.

He just turned 23, he's a center with good size and very good hands and he's certainly good enough to be the Sabres #2C based on their current roster.

20 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Uh-oh.  Now you've done it.  Fire and brimstone incoming.

I agree with you though that Strome is faster than Reino and I too would trade Miller plus something else for him.

He just turned 23, he's a center with good size and very good hands and he's certainly good enough to be the Sabres #2C based on their current roster.

A  roster with Strome and either Mitts or Cozens at 3C would be a very young and dynamic forward group.

The Top 9

Skinner (27), Eichel (23), Reinhart (24)

Olofsson (24), Strome (23), Kahun (24)

MoJo (29), Cozens (19), Thompson (22)/Mitts (21)

Average Age: 23.9

• Like (+1) 1

I would give Strome a try at 2C for a year or two. If he can be had for Miller + a bit, I do it.
Cozens can take his time adjusting to the league.

I find it interesting that Dach is muscling Strome out of Chicago. Dach and Cozens were comparable in the same draft and in the WHL. Dach stayed up and had some sheltered experience but did not put up much offence.

21 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'd be surprised if Strome wasn't a Sabre by October.

You think it's more likely than not by a significant margin that we are adding him? Interesting. 

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

Friedman says not much. He was traded not even two years ago, but at the time his value was mostly as a prospect, not a player - pretty much Casey Mittelstadt. He was traded along with a lesser prospect for a guy who was then more or less what Victor Olofsson was this year.

Now he’s more player than prospect : basically a slow, skilled, low-end 2C who can play with talent, but can’t elevate his linemates or win most matchups,, but still might get better. 

I have no idea what the Hawks are looking for. Internet says maybe an LHD?

I wouldn’t move a Montour or a Risto, but Id talk Miller or McCabe. Like I said earlier, I’m not a fan, but Botterill’s taste in players is often different than mine.

I agree with the posts above: he might be the best option available at a price we can pay.

Risto is a net negative so I'd move him for picks, definitely for Strome. I'm not certain on his value at all, but he'd be preferable to no addition. 

Low-end 2C is the consensus? 

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Gut says that wouldn't be enough, but I'd be down. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.