2020-2021 Lineup Thread

darksabre

• 1 month later...

Jbot acquires Torcheck now or over the summer for Montour (I prefer now)

Re-signs Larsson, Lazar and Vesey and heads explode on Sabrespace. Also re-signs Ullmark for 3 years at 3.5 per season.  Also signs Cam Talbot to a 2 year deal at 2.75.  Larsson gets 2 at 2 per, Lazar gets 2 at 1.25 per and Vesey 2 at 3 per

Waives Hutton and lends him to Stl AHL team.

Gives VO a 3 year 12 mill deal and Reinhart 8 for 8 per.

VO Jack Reinhart

Skinner Trocheck MoJo

Vesey Cozens Mittelstadt

Larsson Lazar Okposo (Thompson?)  Cost: 55 mill

Dahlin Jokiharju

McCabe Ristolainen

Pilut Miller (Borgen) Cost: 15.75

Ullmark Talbot Cost: 6.25

Total 77 mill

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Would anyone pay big bucks for Jacob Markstrom?

He’s been the Canucks best player and they might not be able to afford him.

He is already 30 and his numbers 2.74 with a .918 are nearly identical to Ullmark's 2.72 .914.

I suggested Talbot instead, as he is doing well in Calg in the back up role (2.83 .914) but has been a starter in the past and should be cheaper to sign.

Olofsson Eichel Reinhart

Skinner ???? ????

??? ??? Johansson 

Girgensons Larsson Okposo

Lazar 

Montour Risto

Dahlin Miller

McCabe Jokiharju
Pilut

Ullmark ???

As far as I am concerned the D is set.

Thompson, Casey, Asplund and Cozens  battle for two of the ??? up front (Tage and Casey may have to clear waivers next season). 

Hutton needs to be upgraded and we need two forwards: one Larry/Marcus level, the other better than that, and the latter should be a centre.

We should have 15 million-ish to play with after re-signing our free agents. Our first this year or next should be flipped in a TJ Miller type trade (I‘ll always wonder how close we were on that one) and we can acquire the other forward and the goalie in a smaller trade, or in the UFA market.

We arent that far away. If the bottom hadn’t dropped out on Skinner and Hutton we’d be in the race right now.

Lazar has won a role on this team for next year as a full time player.  He is a better face off guy then Larsson or Girgensons and will be much cheaper to retain.  His offense has also been on a similar level.  I think one of Z or Larry won’t be re-signed.

The waiver issue. Thompson is 3 years or 160 games and therefore probably has to go through waivers which is why I have him as the 13th forward.  Mitts signed at 19 for waiver purposes.  So it’s 4 years or 160. He hasn’t qualified on either number so he is still waiver exempt.

If you are retaining Ullmark why would you invest another 4 plus in cap on Markstrom?  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

5 hours ago, steveoath said:

No no no. That line would get caved in.

Thats what they said about Vanek Roy and Max.  In a third line role the speed and skill of that line would have a huge advantage over many 3rd lines in the NHL creating a plus matchup for us, much line the Vanek line did.  Also Vesey has proven to be defensively reliable this season and a pretty good forechecker. Cozens also plays a physical game.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Paying Vesey more than Larsson seems silly. Larson is more fundamental to the team and Vesey is replaceable. 

Angry Larry is having his best season and he still barely produces offense.  Personally, I think Lazar is an easy replacement for Larry.  I agree that Vesey is replaceable, but he is the more offensively gifted player with a longer history of offensive success.  Vesey worst offensive season is 27 and best in 35 points, Larry’s best until this year is 17.  He also gets paid more now.  Guys entering UFA under 30 rarely take a pay cut.  It’s fair to say he doesn’t deserve a huge raise.  I doubt Larry gets more then 2 mill from us or in the free market, but guys who can score goals, like Vesey, even if he hasn’t as much this season, will get paid.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Lazar has won a role on this team for next year as a full time player.  His is a better face off guy then Larsson or Girgensons and will be I much cheaper to retain.  His offense has also been on a similar level.  I think one of Z or Larry won’t be re-signed.

The waiver issue. Thompson is 3 years or 160 games and therefore probably has to go through waivers which is why I have him as the 13th forward.  Mitts signed at 19 for waiver purposes.  So it’s 4 years or 160. He hasn’t qualified on either number so he is still waiver exempt.

If you are retaining Ullmark why would you invest another 4 plus in cap on Markstrom?  

I think you are right on Larry and Z, unfortunately.

Thanks for the Casey clarification. Wasn’t sure how that first “year” affected his waiver status.

Ullmark is Marty Biron: great backup/serviceable short-term starter. I want better for a playoff run.

I’d take a Linus clone if that was the better move under the cap, but I’d prefer a real #1. If you could get Markstrom for as low as $4 you’d be foolish not to sign him. It’s happened very slowly, and maybe people out east haven’t really noticed, but he’s turned into a very good goalie. 

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Angry Larry is having his best season and he still barely produces offense.  

Larry is pacing for 25 points. Find me guys who get the defensive usage Larsson does, who have the shot suppression success he does, and put up that many points. There are very, very few, even on the best teams.

After a hot start, Lazar has cooled back down and has 1 point in his last 12 games. On his career he averages 17 points per full season's worth of games. He would not handle being the center of a line with Larsson's line's responsibility as well as Larry does. he's the perfect 13 forward, but on a healthy team that you want going places, you don't want him slotted higher than your fourth line, and he's not worth letting go any of GLO if they want to stay here 

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Larry is pacing for 25 points. Find me guys who get the defensive usage Larsson does, who have the shot suppression success he does, and put up that many points. There are very, very few, even on the best teams.

After a hot start, Lazar has cooled back down and has 1 point in his last 12 games. On his career he averages 17 points per full season's worth of games. He would not handle being the center of a line with Larsson's line's responsibility as well as Larry does. he's the perfect 13 forward, but on a healthy team that you want going places, you don't want him slotted higher than your fourth line, and he's not worth letting go any of GLO if they want to stay here 

Exactly. Larson is the defensive center we desperately need. 

Lazar wishes he was as effective as Larsson 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

We arent that far away. If the bottom hadn’t dropped out on Skinner and Hutton we’d be in the race right now.

4 out of 6 middle forwards is pretty far away, especially when 2 are centers.  That is a ton to replace in the offseason.  Unfortunately, of the players mentioned, IMO only Cozens has a crack at being an improvement, or even status quo,  next season over our current middle 6, and he isn't a given (I know you know that).

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Some folks here are criminally underrating Girgs and Larry.  They are genuinely very good at their role and I am certain we will miss them if they are gone.  Anyone who is still of the opinion that they are a drag on the team isn't judging based on this seasons' performance.

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

4 out of 6 middle forwards is pretty far away, especially when 2 are centers.  That is a ton to replace in the offseason.  Unfortunately, of the players mentioned, IMO only Cozens has a crack at being an improvement, or even status quo,  next season over our current middle 6, and he isn't a given (I know you know that).

Some folks here are criminally underrating Girgs and Larry.  They are genuinely very good at their role and I am certain we will miss them if they are gone.  Anyone who is still of the opinion that they are a drag on the team isn't judging based on this seasons' performance.

Or last season's. They've been at this level for 140+ games now, which is why I'd be comfortable giving them nice raises to stay

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yep, unless Larry has specifically told Botterill that he has no interest in re signing here, there is no reason to move him. 

In terms of goaltending, Ullmark has not proven himself to be a bonafide starter in the NHL yet and UPL is at least 2-3 years away. 
This UFA Class has some talent at the goaltending position grab one.

Call Pittsburgh about Nick Bjugstad, swap Sheary for him in the next 24 hours or get him as a cap dump this summer. 
He has size and can play either C or RW two positions of need

8 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Call Pittsburgh about Nick Bjugstad, swap Sheary for him in the next 24 hours or get him as a cap dump this summer. 

He has size and can play either C or RW two positions of need

Whatever happened to Bjugstad? Seemed like he was part of that Panthers core that was up-and-coming and then just sorta... fell off. Is it just persistent injuries?

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

In a little over a year the Canucks have added Tyler Toffoli, Tanner Pearson, Michael Ferland and Adam Gaudette to their middle six, as well as first-liner JT Miller.

The did it by trading a first, a second, and some spare parts, having one prospect develop and overpaying for a UFA.

Jim Benning isn’t a rocket scientist. We have the assets and the cap room. If they can do it, so can we.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

In a little over a year the Canucks have added Tyler Toffoli, Tanner Pearson, Michael Ferland and Adam Gaudette to their middle six, as well as first-liner JT Miller.

The did it by trading a first, a second, and some spare parts, having one prospect develop and overpaying for a UFA.

Jim Benning isn’t a rocket scientist. We have the assets and the cap room. If they can do it, so can we.

A little over a year spans  more than an offseason though.  Can JBotts get something like that done?  No idea, but its a pretty significant change to the roster for an offseason.

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

He’s injured right now 

Looking at his career. 82 games played once. 10 this year, 64, 82, 54, 67, 72, 76 rookie, 11 cup of coffee. That's... Bogo level of games missed. He should certainly be affordable.

Edit: Affordable meaning fairly easy to trade for. Still has the 4.1M next season (also affordable for a 2/3C tweener contract)

Edited by DarthEbriate

1 minute ago, Weave said:

A little over a year spans  more than an offseason though.  Can JBotts get something like that done?  No idea, but its a pretty significant change to the roster for an offseason.

They got Pearson midway through last year. He would relate to a guy we pick up tomorrow.

Gaudette relates to Mittelstadt or Thompson taking a step. He was no better than they were this time last year.

Miller was a draft day trade and Ferland a July UFA.

it could be done by July. Will it? No idea.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.