English Premier League 2019-2020

Sabel79

Welp, this is happening starting Friday.  

I fully expect Man City to run away with the league again this year, but 2-5 are all well up for grabs.  Man United are nailed on for sixth.  At the other end, all I ask is that this is finally the season we can say good bye to Burnley, but frankly I am not confident as the relegation slots have plenty of clubs lining up for them.  

My team, Arsenal, are doubling down on refusing to field enough competent defenders and making up for it by stockpiling yet more forward talent.  Bold strategy, Cotton... 

Anyway, looking forward to the season, Until I inevitably have my spirit destroyed, hopefully later than November this time around... 

Bonus content: I know The Athletic gets banged on about on here, but they’ve filched a whole bunch of quality football jurnos and launched a UK division.  If I hadn’t subscribed more than a year ago I would now.  

I was not paid for this.  Honest. 

Football season already?  Where does the time go.

Any key transfers during the summer?  I can't even remember if the summer is a transfer window?

I am fully on board with Liverpool, I think.

Maybe it's time to team up with @Eleven and follow the little brightly coloured birdies from Norwich.

42 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Football season already?  Where does the time go.

Any key transfers during the summer?  I can't even remember if the summer is a transfer window?

I am fully on board with Liverpool, I think.

Maybe it's time to team up with @Eleven and follow the little brightly coloured birdies from Norwich.

Well, you'd better make the decision quickly, because they play each other Friday.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/5/2019 at 8:15 AM, Sabel79 said:

Bonus content: I know The Athletic gets banged on about on here, but they’ve filched a whole bunch of quality football jurnos and launched a UK division.  If I hadn’t subscribed more than a year ago I would now.  

I was not paid for this.  Honest. 

I've been a subscriber for a while now, but this has been awesome to see. They are hiring all the best guys. Several of the stories posted have been great so far, but one i thought was the best if you have the time is on Lukasz Fabianski by Roshane Thomas.  https://theathletic.com/1112862/2019/08/05/academic-driven-and-a-heart-of-gold-how-lukasz-fabianski-went-from-polish-schoolboy-to-west-ham-favourite/

Speaking of the Premier League, if anyone wants to join my fantasy Premier league, you're more then welcome to:

https://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/407952/standings/

League code: ele3bh

10 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

The season kicks off in a few hours.

Excited to see if Liverpool can finally end their string of being the brides maid and be the bride for the first time in what seems like forever.

GO CANARIES!!

29 Years.  And no, I would not bet money on that.

NBC's pathetic knob-polishing of Christian Pulisic, to the extent that the broke into the Arsenal game with a graphic informing us all he was gong to be on the bench today, is just the worst.  I've always wanted the kid to do well but man, I'd now rather happily not hear about him ever again.  

Now, to watch the Battle of the Dumpster Fires (ManYoo - Chelsea).

Chelsea down 4-5 starters was always going to have a rough go. They probably should have been up 2-1 after the first half but thats how it goes some times. Young guys looked pretty good.

That said, if Pulisic can't pull a start with Willian, CHO, and Kante out of the line up you have to be worried about his chances getting any time this year. He looked good when he went in, but we'll see how much we see him.

Watching a sublimely mediocre ManYoo team roll over a completely inept Chelsea was kind of entertaining.  I think (and I know it’s one game but still) I’ve overestimated Chelsea’s ceiling and underestimated ManYoo’s... it’ll be interesting to see which one finishes fifth and which one finishes sixth... 

Alright.  I’m about done with Unai Emery.  Who ever could have thought that the guy who couldn’t turn all the filthy lucre available to him at PSG into results could take the reins at Arsenal and have that go well?  Taking one of the most expensively assembled teams in the world and sending them out to present the ball, and indeed scoring chances, to the opposition like a female dog in heat... ugh.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Eleven said:

CANARIES!!!!!  I cannot believe it!

Fantastic result.  

This loss will haunt Man C by the time we get to match day 38.  Liverpool will have the championship that they so desperately want, unless they completely fall apart, which the past 40 some odd years have shown us, is very likely.