The Summer Recap and What’s Next

GASabresIUFAN

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I can't help but feel Botts had panted himself into a corner.

The later this summer goes on, the more concerned I get.  I think JBOT is smart and has a plan and hopefully some deals are imminent.  But being over the cap with 24 contracts is unsettling.  Doesn't JBOT lose leverage since other teams know he HAS to move (or waive) a player or 3?  Not buying out Sobotka is questionable.  If a 2C was his priority number 1, shouldn't that have been addressed by now.  Maybe JBOT has a set of balls like the King of Bayonne and is just waiting to get the best deal.  But if the current roster is what we go with on opening day, I think I will have to reevaluate my "I think JBOT is smart" mentality.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Tondas said:

The later this summer goes on, the more concerned I get.  I think JBOT is smart and has a plan and hopefully some deals are imminent.  But being over the cap with 24 contracts is unsettling.  Doesn't JBOT lose leverage since other teams know he HAS to move (or waive) a player or 3?  Not buying out Sobotka is questionable.  If a 2C was his priority number 1, shouldn't that have been addressed by now.  Maybe JBOT has a set of balls like the King of Bayonne and is just waiting to get the best deal.  But if the current roster is what we go with on opening day, I think I will have to reevaluate my "I think JBOT is smart" mentality.

Being over the cap with 22 contracts is unsettling.  Being over with 20 is disconcerting.  IMHO, being over (by about $1MM) w/ 24 contracts isn't ideal but it's no big deal either.

And, pretty sure a 2C for (2020)-2021 is a higher priority (frustratingly) than a 2C for 2019-20 is as he's brought in both Mittelstadt & Cozens to address that LT role but has brought in Johansson & Mittelstadt to address it in the ST.

And fixing the D was also clearly a higher priority as he's brought in Pilut, Montour, Miller, Jokiharju, and several borderline NHL/AHLers along with picking into Dahlin since the off-season a year ago.  And there are rumors Gardiner could be arriving as well should Ristolainen or somebody else departs.

Still am expecting 2 -3 more moves this off-season; but only 1 of which would address deficiencies in the top 6F's.

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Being over the cap with 22 contracts is unsettling.  Being over with 20 is disconcerting.  IMHO, being over (by about $1MM) w/ 24 contracts isn't ideal but it's no big deal either.

And, pretty sure a 2C for (2020)-2021 is a higher priority (frustratingly) than a 2C for 2019-20 is as he's brought in both Mittelstadt & Cozens to address that LT role but has brought in Johansson & Mittelstadt to address it in the ST.

And fixing the D was also clearly a higher priority as he's brought in Pilut, Montour, Miller, Jokiharju, and several borderline NHL/AHLers along with picking into Dahlin since the off-season a year ago.  And there are rumors Gardiner could be arriving as well should Ristolainen or somebody else departs.

Still am expecting 2 -3 more moves this off-season; but only 1 of which would address deficiencies in the top 6F's.

I'd be OK with that.  I vacillate on being patient and impatient on a daily basis.   ?

• Like (+1) 1

Those of us counting on Zach Bogosian to begin the season on IR should put a pause on counting those chickens.

Apparently he’s already got five games under his belt in Da Beauty League (lighting it up too, way ahead of Chubs Mittelstadt.)

https://www.dabeautyleague.com/stats/team_instance/3742102?subseason=538145&tab=team_instance_player_stats&tool=3186947

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Those of us counting on Zach Bogosian to begin the season on IR should put a pause on counting those chickens.

Apparently he’s already got five games under his belt in Da Beauty League (lighting it up too, way ahead of Chubs Mittelstadt.)

https://www.dabeautyleague.com/stats/team_instance/3742102?subseason=538145&tab=team_instance_player_stats&tool=3186947

That complicates matters even more.  Miller, Bogo, Dahlin, Scandella, Ristolainen, Montour and McCabe is one to many in the top 6.  Something has to give.  Two players need to go if Jbot wants Joker in the top 6.  Happy hunting for a deal Jbot.

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

Just noticed Reinhart has played a game for Bogo’s team as well.

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

so something is happening... or are we just sitting on a park bench watchin the cars spinning their wheels rushing to work...

Jbot is going to do something but your guess is as good as mine.  It's takes two to make a deal and so many teams are still up in the air cap wise that it may be weeks until all the RFA issues are resolved and teams can really see where they are.

Here is a list

Leafs - 23 signed 84.4 - Marner an RFA

Pitt - 23 signed 81.7 - Pettersson RFA

Dallas - 22 signed 80.5 - Honka RFA

Rangers - 22 signed 80.5 - Lemieux and DeAngelo RFAs

Nash - 23 signed 79.2 - Grimaldi RFA

Edm - 23 signed 79.1 - Puljujarvi RFA

Fla - 20 signed 79.1 - Malgin RFA

Chi - 20 signed 78.2 - Perlini RFA

Van - 24 signed 76.5 - Goldobin and Boeser RFAs

Bos - 23 signed  74.2 - McAvoy and Carlo RFAs

Calg - 21 signed - 73.8 - Tkachuk RFA

NYI - 22 signed - 72.9 - Beauvillier and Dal Colle RFAs

NJ - 21 signed - 72.9 - Zacha RFA

LA - 22 signed 72.8 - Kempe RFA

TB - 21 signed 72.1 - Erne and Point RFAs

Minn - 19 signed 72.1 - Fiala and Eriksson Ek RFAs

Phil - 20 signed 68.1 - Konecny and Provorov RFAs

Ott - 21 signed 65.9 - White RFA

CBJ - 21 signed 65.7 - Werenski RFA

Colo - 22 signed 65 - Rantanen RFA

Wpg - 17 signed 63.9 - Laine and Connor RFAs

21 teams still have unsigned RFAs.  While many teams look to have cap space, it's an illusion until the big name RFAs are re-signed. Look at all the huge names still unsigned; Marner, Tkachuk, Laine, Connor, Rantanen, Werenski, White, Konecny, Provorov, Piont, Carlo, McAvoy, Beauvillier, DeAngelo and Boeser. 

Seriously, how does WPG complete it's roster when it needs to re-sign Laine and Conner and then add another 3-4 players with only 17.5 mil.  TB needs to cut someone still to fit Erne and Point under the cap as does Van to fit Boeser.  The Rags and Bos will also be over the cap when their RFAs sign. From this view Minn, LA, Ott, CBJ and COL look like they have serious room to spare.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

19 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

If Bogosian really will be ready...all the better to start forcing moves and making this summer interesting!

And IF Bogosian is ready, HE becomes tradable.  If the returns Botterill is getting offered for Ristolainen are 'meh' then substitute Bogosian and end up with nearly 'meh' as a return.

(Would rather have Risto &  nearly 'meh' w/ the cap space than Bogo & 'meh ' w/ the cap space.)

16 hours ago, darksabre said:

I mean, it's August. Stuff doesn't really ever happen in August. Historically there are maybe 0-2 trades in August. At the earliest I would expect a trade by the 18th, but we could go well into September before a trade happens.

How often do big trades happen in September?

23 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

so something is happening... or are we just sitting on a park bench watchin the cars spinning their wheels rushing to work...

So something is happening but you don't know what it is....... Do you Mr North

3 hours ago, darksabre said:

More often than in August, but not by much. October tends to be busier than both months.

I’m trying to imagine how I’ll feel about the likelihood of a bonafide top 6 forward still being on the way if we are sitting in October without one, 2 days away from our first regular season game. 

Just based on his Skinner deal I still think it’s August or bust regarding a big move. 

Edited by Thorny

16 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I’m trying to imagine how I’ll feel about the likelihood of a bonafide top 6 forward still being on the way if we are sitting in October without one, 2 days away from our first regular season game. 

Just based on his Skinner deal I still think it’s August or bust regarding a big move. 

Anything can happen.

5 hours ago, jsb said:

25 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

The line starts with ... 'the way things are going' then continues with ... 'anything can happen'.

What a fantastic poet.  Passed on to the next life way too young, as many do.  Bonus if you know which poet.

9 minutes ago, WildCard said:

The lack of hockey news is crippling me

Don't feel bad @WildCard it's killing us old guys to, I'm quoting Dylan and @New Scotland (NS) is quoting some Dead Poet nobody heard of.

The epitome of Dead Poet's Society I guess or should this go in the Dog Days of Hockey thread??

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah new uniforms.  Zzzzzzzzz!

.... and now back to our story. (Sound of crickets).

Until we get some movement on the RFA front, the NHL and consequently the Sabres are at a virtual stand still.  Some enterprising GM could start to break up this log jam of RFAs with a offer sheet or two but that looks unlikely.

These RFAs have “no” leverage but to holdout, which right now seems like the greater power because many of these guys are essential to their teams.  

There is no time crunch yet to get things done because camp is weeks away.  Still Nylander’s season last year should be a cautionary tale for players, GMs and agents.  While he got his money, both his performance and the team’s suffered from the long delay is getting a deal done.  

So the rest of us sit and wait while 2/3 of the league tries to figure out how to get their RFAs signed.  It shouldn’t be this hard.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.