Jake McCabe Signs 2 Year Extension 2.85 Mil AAV

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

If they go through the arbitration process and the panel see's fit to give McCabe around 3 million for 2 years will the Sabres accept it and sign him?

If you believe the Sabres do sign him, is McCabe trade-able with that price and term?

I think they do.  JBOT always says you develop and re-sign your own.  $3 mil is fair IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Fare thee well, Jake. May you bring us a quality forward in return. 

OMG, totally.  That's a way high ask for Jake and I don't mind him on the team. 

So, that leaves us with Jake and Risto potentially on the trade market.  I think a clever GM could turn just those two guys into a solid 2C.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, ... said:

OMG, totally.  That's a way high ask for Jake and I don't mind him on the team. 

So, that leaves us with Jake and Risto potentially on the trade market.  I think a clever GM could turn just those two guys into a solid 2C.

I think it's likely the arbitrator is closer to the team number, but if it turns out to be close to $3M, then I'm looking to move on. 

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

But is he trade-able then?

I ask this because my believe is a fair value contract is a trade-able one. 

I think so.  If Risto is a second pair D-man at $5.4 mill, a solid 3rd pair guy with experience and leadership (College team captain and I believe with Housley in the  U20 tournament), and can move up to second pair for a brief stint is worth $ 3 mil in today's NHL.  Zadorov is at $ 3.2.

Edited by Tondas
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I think it's likely the arbitrator is closer to the team number, but if it turns out to be close to $3M, then I'm looking to move on. 

I’m not sure he fits in with the direction the team is headed and was a likely move anyway.  He was my candidate for most likely to be traded.

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Maybe.  I haven't kept track of the decisions throughout the league to see if they're reasonable or not on average.  Regardless, that's a very high ask by McCabe even in lieu of arbitration.  If he doesn't get near what he thinks he's worth, will that be yet another "locker room issue"?  Ridiculous in one sense, yet raises red flags in some way.  

In THIS case, his value as a trade piece is far greater than his value on the D corps if he's going to be miserable and injured 25% of the time.

• Like (+1) 1

That sounds like the Ullmark/Hutton thing.

Sorry Jake, just because you were better than Scandella doesn’t mean you should be overpaid too.

I agree with those saying that if he gets anything near his ask, he will be traded. I have no sense of whether he wants to be in Buffalo long-term, or what Botterill thinks about him.

Personally, I’d like him for three years as a bridge to Samuelsson and Johnson, but not for more than $3 million per.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, ... said:

Maybe.  I haven't kept track of the decisions throughout the league to see if they're reasonable or not on average.  Regardless, that's a very high ask by McCabe even in lieu of arbitration.  If he doesn't get near what he thinks he's worth, will that be yet another "locker room issue"?  Ridiculous in one sense, yet raises red flags in some way.  

In THIS case, his value as a trade piece is far greater than his value on the D corps if he's going to be miserable and injured 25% of the time.

I know it's august, but this is quite a stretch 

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Also, I am also really  liking the fact that Jason is consistently playing hardball with lower-roster guys on a bottom-feeding team. 

Start winning and you’ll get paid.

This seems like projection more than what's actually happening. Offering McCabe 1.95 in an arbitration case seems completely normal and par for the course, and so has every other number I've seen this summer. I think Jason is being a fairly normal GM doing a fairly normal thing with the players you'd expect him to as far as this stuff goes

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

What's everybody's red line here? Mine is probably $2.5M. I'm simply not paying a 3rd pairing Dman who doesn't bring much of anything offensively more than that.

I'm at $3 mil.  Again, Zadorov is getting $3.2 and played 11 more games than McCabe and had the same amount of points.  It's the going rate.

13 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

What's everybody's red line here? Mine is probably $2.5M. I'm simply not paying a 3rd pairing Dman who doesn't bring much of anything offensively more than that.

No more than $2.65M for me.  He can swing from 5 to 4, so that adds a little value.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.