Elie Signs One Year 700k Deal

Brawndo

13 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It's only one possible unfortunate outcome, and even Pegula can't buy everything he wants in the world.

Another:  What if this came in at 800 or 900 or even 950K?  They are strapped as much as possible with respect to the cap right now.   So much so that people in another thread are suggesting that they mortgage the future by exercising buyouts now.

As long as the salary is below $1.075 million, it has no cap hit if sent to the AHL... and that's only on a one-way deal.  Two-way deals automatically do not hit the cap if sent down.

12 minutes ago, shrader said:

As long as the salary is below $1.075 million, it has no cap hit if sent to the AHL... and that's only on a one-way deal.  Two-way deals automatically do not hit the cap if sent down.

This. Jbot doing the "right" thing with a one-way so the guy gets good money in the AHL, and it doesn't touch the Sabres cap.

• Like (+1) 5

56 minutes ago, MattPie said:

This. Jbot doing the "right" thing with a one-way so the guy gets good money in the AHL, and it doesn't touch the Sabres cap.

Yep and also maybe buying some goodwill showing the the Hockey player community that Bflo is fair and does the right thing for players...  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

It's only one possible unfortunate outcome, and even Pegula can't buy everything he wants in the world.

Another:  What if this came in at 800 or 900 or even 950K?  They are strapped as much as possible with respect to the cap right now.   So much so that people in another thread are suggesting that they mortgage the future by exercising buyouts now.

Even if his contract was a 950K 1-way deal, it doesn’t affect the cap if he is playing in the AHL.

Also, everyone worrying about the cap needs to stop.  Buffalo is going to be a couple Mil under with no real problems at all.  There is no need to buy anyone out. The Ullmark and McCabe contracts are going to bring them right up to, or just slightly over the cap, but they can only have so many players on the NHL roster.  Demoting a couple of guys to the AHL will bring them well under the cap.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Wow a hot topic on a guy who will likely spend the year in the AHL.  Dog days of summer indeed.

Lol.  I was thinking the same thing but it is substantial for 2 reasons.  1) JBott corrected valued a support player and gave him an fair and appropriate contract 2) everyone on Dallas loved Elie because he’s a competitor and gives 100% every game - that’s the type of example and work ethic we need to set for the prospects in Rochester

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Eleven said:

Qualifying him risked an unfavorable arbitration award.  I know this will be unpopular among those who live in Rochester, but I don't really care much about the success of the Amerks.

I don't care about their success either, but I want them to be good by default. In other words a situation where we are teeming with good prospects that can't help but give them a stacked roster and thus they will be successful as there are only so many spots with the big club. It's been a long time since we've had a solid group working their butts off trying to make the big club and knowing they could make the roster of a lesser team. It's a dream. 

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't care about their success either, but I want them to be good by default. In other words a situation where we are teeming with good prospects that can't help but give them a stacked roster and thus they will be successful as there are only so many spots with the big club. It's been a long time since we've had a solid group working their butts off trying to make the big club and knowing they could make the roster of a lesser team. It's a dream. 

In other words ... you care about their success. ?

19 hours ago, Amerks8796 said:

He’s so far down the depth chart, if he’s playing in Buffalo, the cap situation won’t matter. 

Also, it’s more likely than not that he was simply arguing for more money at the AHL level, not the NHL level. 

His cap hit counts either way, right?

And yes, the second point, shrader and I discussed upthread.

13 minutes ago, Eleven said:

His cap hit counts either way, right?

And yes, the second point, shrader and I discussed upthread.

I think the implication is if he's playing, the bigger-ticket players are out hurt and their per-game cap hit is offset?

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Pretty sure Sobotka is better than Ellie 

Probably.  But all this "McCabe isn't worth x dollars" talk got me thinking. Is Sobotka at $3.5 better than Elie at $700k?  Is Sobotka $3 mill better?

Edited by Tondas
  • Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

2) everyone on Dallas loved Elie because he’s a competitor and gives 100% every game

I live in the DFW area and watch my share of Stars games, watch local sports on the news, etc., and frankly I never heard of Elie before the Sabres picked him up.  Baptiste and Bailey had higher profiles in Buffalo than Elie had in Dallas.

Edited by Doohickie

Just now, Tondas said:

Probably.  But all this "McCabe isn't worth x dollars" talk got me thinking. Is Sobotka at $3.5 better than Elie at $700k?  Is Sobotka $2 mill better?

For their prices I'll definitely take Elie. Sobotka is probably worth 1.25 tops IMO

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Likely true, but at the same time Sobotka was far more detrimental to the 18-19 season than Elie.

Tennyson was probably our worst player overall though. 

Between his cap hit and Housley's love for him yeah

Interesting, didn't pay attention to Tennyson enough to notice that

Also, met a guy who works for the Sabres recently in an interesting capacity. Told me Krueger is an incredible person, and Housley lost the room because all he did was preach analytics with charts and white boards, and people tuned him out; almost in a Byslma-esk way but just not to that extent. Learned some other interesting things too but I'll keep those not on a message board haha

Edited by WildCard
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

For their prices I'll definitely take Elie. Sobotka is probably worth 1.25 tops IMO

If all goes well this year, Sobotka will either be the highest paid Amerk or the highest paid person in the press box.  ?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Also, met a guy who works for the Sabres recently in an interesting capacity. Told me Krueger is an incredible person, and Housley lost the room because all he did was preach analytics with charts and white boards, and people tuned him out; almost in a Byslma-esk way but just not to that extent. Learned some other interesting things too but I'll keep those not on a message board haha

Waitaminnit, PHIL Housley!?!?! is overly concerned about ANALYTICS!?!?!

(And Of course you’ll share the good stuff, by PM if not in public ?)

13 minutes ago, WildCard said:

That's pretty interesting. It's been said here that coaches probably shouldn't ever show their teams charts and metrics and stuff, and I completely agree with that. If you feel you have a problem from something analytics is telling you, diagnose how it manifests, and fix it by being a hockey coach. 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.