Elie Signs One Year 700k Deal

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

League minimum deal.  Which is exactly what he's worth.  (Don't know why, could've sworn the league min bumped up this year a bit above $700k.  Oh, well.)

I'd be curious though as to why he'd avoid arbitration in order to sign a one year, one-way deal for the league minimum.  He must be getting a better number on the AHL end than he would have otherwise.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'd be curious though as to why he'd avoid arbitration in order to sign a one year, one-way deal for the league minimum.  He must be getting a better number on the AHL end than he would have otherwise.

Absolutely.

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'd be curious though as to why he'd avoid arbitration in order to sign a one year, two-way deal for the league minimum.  He must be getting a better number on the AHL end than he would have otherwise.

This.  Botterill held firm and a situation that should have never been a situation comes to its correct end.

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This.  Botterill held firm and a situation that should have never been a situation comes to its correct end.

It wouldn't have been a situation had Botterill not extended the qualifying offer to begin with.  Glad this one's over; let's see what happens with the younger of the two backup goalies.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It wouldn't have been a situation had Botterill not extended the qualifying offer to begin with.  Glad this one's over; let's see what happens with the younger of the two backup goalies.

That would have been silly not to qualify him. He’s a solid depth player that doesn’t take up a veteran spot in Rochester. Those types of players, for AHL teams, are quite valuable. 

• Like (+1) 2

JBOT doing a good job on the business side this summer.  Now he needs to finish his job on the hockey side.  My guess is that he signs Gardiner, trades Risto, and ships out 2 of (Larry, Girgs, Wilson, Hunwick, Nelson) for draft picks.  I didn't mention Sobotka because the Sabres already have enough pucks.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

That would have been silly not to qualify him. He’s a solid depth player that doesn’t take up a veteran spot in Rochester. Those types of players, for AHL teams, are quite valuable. 

Qualifying him risked an unfavorable arbitration award.  I know this will be unpopular among those who live in Rochester, but I don't really care much about the success of the Amerks.

17 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Qualifying him risked an unfavorable arbitration award.  I know this will be unpopular among those who live in Rochester, but I don't really care much about the success of the Amerks.

Unfavorable how? And it doesn’t matter whether you want them to win or not, that’s irrelevant. Botterill does care, by most indications, so qualifying him made sense organizationally. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Eleven said:

An unfavorable outcome for a guy with a career line of 7-15-22 over 106 games played?  What would that have been $800k?  Whatever it was, it wasn't going to impact the cap at all if/when he's in Rochester.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

Unfavorable how? And it doesn’t matter whether you want them to win or not, that’s irrelevant. Botterill does care, by most indications, so qualifying him made sense organizationally. 

15 minutes ago, shrader said:

An unfavorable outcome for a guy with a career line of 7-15-22 over 106 games played?  What would that have been $800k?  Whatever it was, it wasn't going to impact the cap at all if/when he's in Rochester.

Don't know.  Maybe it would have been a one-way deal.  Maybe it would have been two years.  The risk was there.

10 minutes ago, Ogre said:

schwarzenegger GIF

I know, it's blasphemy.  I'm sorry.

Just now, Eleven said:

Don't know.  Maybe it would have been a one-way deal.  Maybe it would have been two years.  The risk was there.

I know, it's blasphemy.  I'm sorry.

That didn’t really answer the question. Why would a 1 way deal matter? It simply means he makes more money in Rochester. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

A one way deal obviously is less favorable than 2-way, but it’s not as if it would have impacted the cap.  The arbitration was initiated by Elie, that means that Buffalo gets to decide if the contract is for 1 or 2 years.  I just don’t think there was any downside of consequence at stake here.

9 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

That didn’t really answer the question. Why would a 1 way deal matter? It simply means he makes more money in Rochester. 

Because it means he makes more money in Rochester.

1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

An NHL team you want to see be successful, almost always means the farm team is successful too. So even though Eleven doesn’t see the connection, he indirectly (subconsciously) cares about the Amerks success. 

Blasphemy, I know ?

I do want to see the players grow there.  (I don't think Elie is capable of much growth, though.)  I just don't care about the team winning Calder Cups, etc.  I certainly realize that a more successful team leads to a more positive experience for the players who ultimately will matter.

Just now, Curt said:

A one way deal obviously is less favorable than 2-way, but it’s not as if it would have impacted the cap.  The arbitration was initiated by Elie, that means that Buffalo gets to decide if the contract is for 1 or 2 years.  I just don’t think there was any downside of consequence at stake here.

Forgot that part; thanks.

8 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I do want to see the players grow there.  (I don't think Elie is capable of much growth, though.)  I just don't care about the team winning Calder Cups, etc.  I certainly realize that a more successful team leads to a more positive experience for the players who ultimately will matter.

This is basically my view as well.  I don’t personally have any emotional stakes in the success of Rochester.  At the same time, I don’t want them to suck because I want the young guys there to be having a positive, challenging experience that helps them grow.  I want Rochester to be a good team full of good people in order to create the best possible environment for any prospects there.

If Remi Elie is part of that (I think he is), then I’m glad he was signed.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Because it means he makes more money in Rochester.

Forgot that part; thanks.

So you’re worried about the books in Buffalo to the point that you want to suppress player salaries in Rochester that are irrelevant to the cap? That’s.. odd. 

Edited by Amerks8796

1 minute ago, Amerks8796 said:

So you’re worried about the books in Buffalo to the point that you want to suppress player salaries in Rochester? That’s.. odd. 

It's only one possible unfortunate outcome, and even Pegula can't buy everything he wants in the world.

Another:  What if this came in at 800 or 900 or even 950K?  They are strapped as much as possible with respect to the cap right now.   So much so that people in another thread are suggesting that they mortgage the future by exercising buyouts now.

11 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It's only one possible unfortunate outcome, and even Pegula can't buy everything he wants in the world.

Another:  What if this came in at 800 or 900 or even 950K?  They are strapped as much as possible with respect to the cap right now.   So much so that people in another thread are suggesting that they mortgage the future by exercising buyouts now.

He’s so far down the depth chart, if he’s playing in Buffalo, the cap situation won’t matter. 

Also, it’s more likely than not that he was simply arguing for more money at the AHL level, not the NHL level. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.