Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
sweetlou

Sabres buyout period

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I think Ralph will decide their fates pretty quickly.

I am so interested in what Ralph is going to do. Both in terms of lineup choices and motivational techniques.

I’ve always been much more a chemistry/culture guy than a systems guy and his background fascinates the heck out of me.

Far as I’m concerned it’s the most under-discussed story of the summer and can’t wait until his philosophy starts to crystallize for us.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I am so interested in what Ralph is going to do. Both in terms of lineup choices and motivational techniques.

I’ve always been much more a chemistry/culture guy than a systems guy and his background fascinates the heck out of me.

Far as I’m concerned it’s the most under-discussed story of the summer and can’t wait until his philosophy starts to crystallize for us.

The one thing I expect from Krueger is a focus on individual responsibility. Soccer is the kind of game where there's a lot of field to cover and you need to play your role with minimal in-game coaching. I think he'll take a similar approach with his hockey players. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, darksabre said:

The one thing I expect from Krueger is a focus on individual responsibility. Soccer is the kind of game where there's a lot of field to cover and you need to play your role with minimal in-game coaching. I think he'll take a similar approach with his hockey players. 

I agree, but not necessarily just because of soccer.

Personal accountability to the team and your contribution being crucial to its success works no matter the environment.

I also like that he and Botterill are on precisely the same page, he’s hand-picked a coaching staff to be on the same page, he’s had individual conversations with all his players this summer to help set the table, and his key guys (mostly Eichel and Reinhart) are in a position where they want to listen and are capable of owning the room.

To me, team-building has been overshadowed on the board by talent-collecting as a crucial issue.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I agree, but not necessarily just because of soccer.

Personal accountability to the team and your contribution being crucial to its success works no matter the environment.

I also like that he and Botterill are on precisely the same page, he’s hand-picked a coaching staff to be on the same page, he’s had individual conversations with all his players this summer to help set the table, and his key guys (mostly Eichel and Reinhart) are in a position where they want to listen and are capable of owning the room.

To me, team-building has been overshadowed on the board by talent-collecting as a crucial issue.

That said, it's hard to build a team with a culture based on things like individual accountability when the talent simply isn't there. You can't expect a player to do things they simply cannot do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's all good stuff. And I don't need him to be an X and O wizard too. 

I do need him to see when his team is consistently doing something worse than most other teams, whatever it may be, and be able to adjust what they're doing in some way to make it better. Whether it's the transition game of the Disco years, or the offensive zone disaster of last year. I don't pretend to know exactly what they'll need, but a coach should have their finger on that pulse, and be able to implement something or other to change it when the reality is that a GM isn't going to be able to reliably concoct something big after the season starts to change things on the roster end. 

 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, darksabre said:

That said, it's hard to build a team with a culture based on things like individual accountability when the talent simply isn't there. You can't expect a player to do things they simply cannot do. 

For sure. Neither works without the other.

But it is possible that we will be able to ice a roster of 20 NHL players most nights this year.

Last year, certainly Tage and Vlad were overmatched and some would argue a couple more. The year before, it was worse with Josefson, Nolan and a rotating cast of Falks on the blueline.

As much as I expect to be crapping on Vesey and Sheary, they are NHL hockey players.

Edited by dudacek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

That's all good stuff. And I don't need him to be an X and O wizard too. 

I do need him to see when his team is consistently doing something worse than most other teams, whatever it may be, and be able to adjust what they're doing in some way to make it better. Whether it's the transition game of the Disco years, or the offensive zone disaster of last year. I don't pretend to know exactly what they'll need, but a coach should have their finger on that pulse, and be able to implement something or other to change it when the reality is that a GM isn't going to be able to reliably concoct something big after the season to starts to change things on the roster end. 

 

Agreed. I’m certainly not minimizing tactics and systems and adjustments. On the contrary, they are essential.

I just have a lot better grasp personally on the leadership aspect than the x’s and o’s. Our last coach was a milquetoast and the previous one was worse.

We need a leader of men.

Edited by dudacek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

That's all good stuff. And I don't need him to be an X and O wizard too. 

I do need him to see when his team is consistently doing something worse than most other teams, whatever it may be, and be able to adjust what they're doing in some way to make it better. Whether it's the transition game of the Disco years, or the offensive zone disaster of last year. I don't pretend to know exactly what they'll need, but a coach should have their finger on that pulse, and be able to implement something or other to change it when the reality is that a GM isn't going to be able to reliably concoct something big after the season to starts to change things on the roster end. 

 

It's funny. Bylsma, I think, had a good idea what was wrong with the team and basically coached to try to cover it up. Housley appears to have had less understanding on the team's problems and basically expected them to do things they couldn't do. Both philosophies ended in essentially the same results.

Now Krueger is going to come in, with a better roster than either guy had, and has the opportunity to combine the good parts of each coach to better success. Krueger might get called lucky.  

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

For sure. Neither works without the other.

But it is possible that we will be able to ice a roster of 20 NHL players most nights this year.

Last year, certainly Tage and Vlad were overmatched and some would argue a couple more. The year before, Pouliot, Josefson, Nolan and a rotating cast of Falks on the blueline.

I really don't know what to expect from the roster as it is currently set. It's going to be a weird October. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, darksabre said:

It's funny. Bylsma, I think, had a good idea what was wrong with the team and basically coached to try to cover it up. Housley appears to have had less understanding on the team's problems and basically expected them to do things they couldn't do. Both philosophies ended in essentially the same results.

Now Krueger is going to come in, with a better roster than either guy had, and has the opportunity to combine the good parts of each coach to better success. Krueger might get called lucky.  

I really don't know what to expect from the roster as it is currently set. It's going to be a weird October. 

Agreed, a lot is still up in the air personnel wise and even if at the start of the season is as it currently stands how these Sabres currently are used will not be known til October.  I wait with baited breath.. 🎣 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...