Sabres buyout period

sweetlou

33 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

JBot has gone on record saying he doesnt like buyouts.

Of course not. It goes against his hoarding nature. It's a good thing there are both roster and contract limits or he'd amass more players onto the ice than there would be people to watch them in the stands.

3 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

If you're bored you can always go have another meltdown about Botterill drafting that defenseman over whichever forward you had ranked higher on your fantasy draft board. At least it made for some funny reading.

According to Capfriendly... There’s only 5 teams out of 31 that have no one in the Buyout category.

Of the teams that are buying out a player(s), The Sabres are one of the lowest hit with only Cody Hodgson on the books eating up $780K in cap space for another 3 years after this coming season. 

The worst for this coming season ... Carolina Hurricanes at 8.5 mil. Yikes!

Just now, Zamboni said:

According to Capfriendly... There’s only 5 teams out of 31 that have no one in the Buyout category.

Of the teams that are buying out a player(s), The Sabres are one of the lowest hit with only Cody Hodgson on the books eating up $780K in cap space for another 3 years after this coming season. 

The worst for this coming season ... Carolina Hurricanes at 8.5 mil. Yikes!

Most of that stems from buying out Patrick Marleau I believe and they got a 1st round for their trouble. Plus they never spend to the cap anyway.

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

I don’t like buyouts either. Hell we’re still paying Hodgson!

Can you find and post a link to JB being “on record” saying he doesn’t like buyouts?

Don't have a link but I heard him address it a few times in his interviews on WGR and stated that he doesn't like them and that they would probably not be doing them.

6 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Don't have a link but I heard him address it a few times in his interviews on WGR and stated that he doesn't like them and that they would probably not be doing them.

I have heard this as well and it surprises me that JBOT, who normally keeps things close to the vest, would come out and say it.  He made a similar comment regarding his distaste for using offer sheets.  So, you're not going to use all the GM tools at your disposal and broadcast that sentiment to the entire league?  I thought he would make a comment like, I'm going to use any and every tool at my disposal to improve my team today and into the future."  Now he could be smokescreening, but he hasn't used either tool yet, so I take him at his word.  I just hope he's not another "go along to get along" GM  crony that puts GM camaraderie before building his team.

I always hear how sports teams are "just a business."  How many times in your business lives do you give a crap about pleasing your competition?  We're out there taking a competitor's account, recruiting one of their employees, exploiting their weaknesses to your gain, etc. 

11 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I don’t like buyouts either. Hell we’re still paying Hodgson!

Can you find and post a link to JB being “on record” saying he doesn’t like buyouts?

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/sabres-vladimir-sobotka-wont-face-buyout/

Hammy got this from the JB presser on June 21st which is still archived in the WGR/Radio.com App.  Under Sabres Hockey folder.   Around 9 minutes in was asked about Vladdy and then in general and said he does not expect using any buyouts. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, darksabre said:

I suspect that, if it made sense, jbot would use a buyout. But it would require a player to be pushed off the roster depth chart first. So if people want Sobotka bought out then we need some other players to rise to the occasion and push him off the cliff.

I'm 57 but I'm great at left dot face offs and will work for Duffs wings.  Is that enough to push him off the cliff?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

What I'm worried about is that my threshold for a guy like Sobotka or Scandella not being anywhere near the NHL ice is probably quite different from Jason's

I think this is probably fair, in that most GMs seem to accept that even bad NHL players are better than no NHL players. For example, the difference between Scandella and your Tennyson-types is enough to make Scandella a roster player (for now).

6 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I think this is probably fair, in that most GMs seem to accept that even bad NHL players are better than no NHL players. For example, the difference between Scandella and your Tennyson-types is enough to make Scandella a roster player (for now).

Risto, Dahlin, Montour, Miller, McCabe, Bogosian, are six NHLers all better than Scandella last year. I'm quite confident that Pilut and Joker were too, because while they were overwhelmed at times, Scandella was more or less overwhelmed at every time. I'm comfortable putting both of them above him in the depth chart assuming we get last year's Scandella. I'm also comfortable putting Nelson over last year's Scandella, but won't do it to avoid unnecessary disagreement. Even if we don't get last year's Scandella this time around, his presence in our lineup through game 82 is something that I simply wouldn't have continued to allow as a GM while watching four months of a 60 point hockey team, when he was so clearly struggling. 

I understand that Scandella may bounce back to what he was before. But writing Scandy into a top six spot is assuming it will happen, and various roster assumptions like this, are a major reason why we're a 60-80 point team the last four years, rather than doing our best to maximize a roster with moves, and then playing the best of the best where they should be within that. We reason ourselves into it as fans watching them make these mistakes, but still get mad at mediocre hockey teams. You get out what you put in, eh? 

Sobotka the same way, but more drastically so. 
Eichel, Skinner, Reinhart, Rodrigues, Johansson, Mitts, Kyle, Larsson, Zemgus, Sheary, Vesey, Olofsson, Smith (who I don't even think is good), Tage (same deal), Wilson should all be unquestionably above a player who coupled statistically below average defensive play with worst-in-the-NHL offensive zone play. Sometimes players like Vlad appear on good teams too, and they are quickly flushed out of the lineup, much less continued in a top-4 forward role for months, much less brought back the next year. I anticipate another forward move to make an even bigger cushion, but even if not, NHL teams don't keep sixteen forwards. 

I totally get your general premise - but I think in this scenario with those specific two players (barring improvement from Scandella) there is absolutely no question what the proper move is here. It's not a "keeping Tennyson away" scenario, it's a "you're literally putting in known bottom of the barrel rather than stuff we know is better than that, for no clear reason."

That said, I totally expect to see 60 games of Vlad this year 

22 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Risto, Dahlin, Montour, Miller, McCabe, Bogosian, are six NHLers all better than Scandella last year. I'm quite confident that Pilut and Joker were too, because while they were overwhelmed at times, Scandella was more or less overwhelmed at every time. I'm comfortable putting both of them above him in the depth chart assuming we get last year's Scandella. I'm also comfortable putting Nelson over last year's Scandella, but won't do it to avoid unnecessary disagreement. Even if we don't get last year's Scandella this time around, his presence in our lineup through game 82 is something that I simply wouldn't have continued to allow as a GM while watching four months of a 60 point hockey team, when he was so clearly struggling. 

I understand that Scandella may bounce back to what he was before. But writing Scandy into a top six spot is assuming it will happen, and various roster assumptions like this, are a major reason why we're a 60-80 point team the last four years, rather than doing our best to maximize a roster with moves, and then playing the best of the best where they should be within that. We reason ourselves into it as fans watching them make these mistakes, but still get mad at mediocre hockey teams. You get out what you put in, eh? 

Sobotka the same way, but more drastically so. 
Eichel, Skinner, Reinhart, Rodrigues, Johansson, Mitts, Kyle, Larsson, Zemgus, Sheary, Vesey, Olofsson, Smith (who I don't even think is good), Tage (same deal), Wilson should all be unquestionably above a player who coupled statistically below average defensive play with worst-in-the-NHL offensive zone play. Sometimes players like Vlad appear on good teams too, and they are quickly flushed out of the lineup, much less continued in a top-4 forward role for months, much less brought back the next year. I anticipate another forward move to make an even bigger cushion, but even if not, NHL teams don't keep sixteen forwards. 

I totally get your general premise - but I think in this scenario with those specific two players (barring improvement from Scandella) there is absolutely no question what the proper move is here. It's not a "keeping Tennyson away" scenario, it's a "you're literally putting in known bottom of the barrel rather than stuff we know is better than that, for no clear reason."

That said, I totally expect to see 60 games of Vlad this year 

I think Ralph will decide their fates pretty quickly.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.