Sabres buyout period

sweetlou

After McCabe's ruling if he goes to arbitration Buffalo will have 48 hrs in an additional buyout period.  I hope JBott is actively trying to shed cap via trade but if not who is most likely to be bought out.  Will this be necessary if Bogo is on LTIR to start the year?

Sobotka- $3.5 million-  cap hit would be $1.5 for this year and $1 for next year (saved $2 million this year but adds $1 million to next year)

Scandella- $4 million- cap hit would be $833K this year but $1.58 million for next ( saved $3.2 million this year but adds the $1.58 to next year)

I would hope he could get a 5th or 6th rd pick for Scandella and maybe retain $1 million.

Sobotka could be sent down and if he clears waivers, maybe he doesn't report terminating his contract.

Going to be interesting this next week...

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

So far most of what JBot has done is bring people in, he hasn't sent anyone out.  This makes me a little nervous.  I'd like to see some addition by subtraction soon.

Subtraction is coming.  There are 13 signed forwards but prospects Thompson and Olofsson and additional guys on one way deals in Elie (when he signs), Smith and Lazar.  That’s 18 guys already for 13 slots. Someone has to go.  Obviously some of these guys are slated for Rochester ultimately, but if all these guys come to camp, it’s going to be a serious dog fight for just a few jobs. 

I’ve said all summer Sobotka needs to be bought out. Hopefully Jbot actually makes the move.  Also I think it’s a 3 day buy out period.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

So far most of what JBot has done is bring people in, he hasn't sent anyone out.  This makes me a little nervous.  I'd like to see some addition by subtraction soon.

That might be hard to do at this time. Trades require a partner to deal with. I would assume Kreuger/ Botts would like to get a look at some of the players acquired before sending out players they might replace unless there is no doubt it's an upgrade.  Injuries are a question mark too. Do you keep Risto and hope Bogo is ready? you might have to wait a bit to see how his re-hab is going.

Arbitration ending soon and may see some sort of move(s) there. But, many questions need answering first before any moves.

The logical thing to do is bury Hunwick and Sobotka, then dump Scandella for a pick. Can’t remember exactly how much we save with those guys in the AHL, but I think that frees up about $6 million

The I’d trade a LW and a RD for a centre and a RW. Personally, I’d like to see something built around Risto and ERod for Cirelli and Palat which saves another million. If the Bolts are keeping Point, along with Vasi’s big raise, it will be very hard for them to re-sign Cirelli next summer.

Then, as a bonus, I’d sign Gardiner if we have the space.

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, Eleven said:

No buyouts.  I don't want dead cap money on the books next year when they have to negotiate with Reinhart and Dahlin.  

Based on the currently signed players, we have 35.6 million coming off the books after this season, including Scandella (4 mill), Bogo (5.142), Sheary (3), Hunwick (2.25) with only Reinhart (3.65), Mitts (.925) and Montour (3.388) as key players to re-sign. (Olofsson and Thompson are RFAs also but don’t expect huge raises).  I figure the most those 3 will cost is 17 mill of the 35.6 available.  The cap will also rise to 82.5 to 83.  

However once McCabe and Ullmark sign we’ll be 2 mill over this years cap.  Buying out Sobotka givens us 2 mill in cap savings this season, putting us back in compliance with a stroke of a pen and gets rid of a useless player.  We’d only save 1.075 if we waive him.  The million on the cap for the year after next from the buyout is about 1.2% of that year’s cap.  Not exactly a huge worry with 35.6 available.

I do think there is a trade market for Scandella, but I’d rather keep him for now unless it’s necessary to accomplish bigger roster changes.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

The logical thing to do is bury Hunwick and Sobotka, then dump Scandella for a pick. Can’t remember exactly how much we save with those guys in the AHL, but I think that frees up about $6 million

The I’d trade a LW and a RD for a centre and a RW. Personally, I’d like to see something built around Risto and ERod for Cirelli and Palat which saves another million. If the Bolts are keeping Point, along with Vasi’s big raise, it will be very hard for them to re-sign Cirelli next summer.

Then, as a bonus, I’d sign Gardiner if we have the space.

For this upcoming season a team can save $1.075M per buried contract. So Hunwick and Sobotka in Rochester would only save approx $2M.

2 minutes ago, slugspirit said:

For this upcoming season a team can save $1.075M per buried contract. So Hunwick and Sobotka in Rochester would only save approx $2M.

Yes, having them in the A saves ~$2MM.  Trading Scandella accounts for the other $4MM of the $6MM.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, slugspirit said:

Which should be enough to get us under the cap on its own, unless Ullmark and McCabe hit home runs.

16 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Subtraction is coming.  There are 13 signed forwards but prospects Thompson and Olofsson and additional guys on one way deals in Elie (when he signs), Smith and Lazar.  That’s 18 guys already for 13 slots. Someone has to go.  Obviously some of these guys are slated for Rochester ultimately, but if all these guys come to camp, it’s going to be a serious dog fight for just a few jobs. 

Isn't that what we want? Having guys fighting for jobs is what every team wants I think. Long overdue.

I don't think he's going to buy anyone out unless Ullmark and McCabe get ridiculous numbers and he has to make room. My own feeling is a trade or two involving D is coming but he is waiting for those deals to be done before deciding who is in those deals and how many there are. If McCabe gets too much he might be the one dealt. 

I also don’t think we will see any buyouts.  It just isn’t going to be necessary with how things stand right now.  Ullmark and McCabe left to sign with $3M is space.  Those two combined will probably cost in the range of $3.5-4M.  That would put Buffalo a little over the cap, but as others have said, sending Sobotka and Hunwick to the AHL, just to get down to the NHL roster size limit, creates $2M in additional cap space.  So Buffalo should be at least $1-1.5M under the cap without making any real moves.  That’s without even discussing possible trades, I think its likely that there is a D trade of some sort on the way, which could create even more cap space.

16 minutes ago, mphs mike said:

What is buyout period start if Sabres & McCabe settle? 48 hours after settlement? 48 hours after Ullmark (unless settled) or has it expired because settlements make it 48 hours after Erod?

Quick google search ...

https://www.12up.com/posts/nhl-buyout-rules-explained-01dh6tdme1jh

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-faq

hope that helps you ??

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I dunno. imo a team as bad as we were should not be pushed up against the cap in any way. Something has to give.

I'm starting to wonder if he isn't simply going to move Risto for draft picks and/or prospects. 

That would be a horrible idea and I doubt a guy who could be fired if he doesn't produce soon is going to trade a proven player for more draft picks that may or may not help right away. We need immediate help at 2nd line C, possibly at RW and a LHD wouldn't hurt either. If he just trades Risto for picks he deserves to be fired IMO.

1 hour ago, GoPuckYourself said:

That would be a horrible idea and I doubt a guy who could be fired if he doesn't produce soon is going to trade a proven player for more draft picks that may or may not help right away. We need immediate help at 2nd line C, possibly at RW and a LHD wouldn't hurt either. If he just trades Risto for picks he deserves to be fired IMO.

I doubt Risto is traded for picks, but it depends on what those picks are.  I think in the NHL market today, if Risto was a UFA, he would be worth $6.5 million.  Myers just got $6 million and Trouba got $8 million. so I think $6.5 million is fair for arguments sake.  If we go by the offer sheet metric, that would make a Risto trade worth a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd.  You may not make that deal, but it may make you think.  And if JBOT could sign Gardiner for current Risto money ($5.4 million), it would be effectively this:

Gardiner, a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd for Risto.  Would you make that trade?  

My point is that draft picks are assets and have value.  If a GM offered me a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd for Risto, I'd take it and I think the other GM would be more at risk of firing than I was.

On 8/1/2019 at 8:43 AM, sweetlou said:

After McCabe's ruling if he goes to arbitration Buffalo will have 48 hrs in an additional buyout period.  I hope JBott is actively trying to shed cap via trade but if not who is most likely to be bought out.  Will this be necessary if Bogo is on LTIR to start the year?

Sobotka- $3.5 million-  cap hit would be $1.5 for this year and $1 for next year (saved $2 million this year but adds $1 million to next year)

Scandella- $4 million- cap hit would be $833K this year but $1.58 million for next ( saved $3.2 million this year but adds the $1.58 to next year)

I would hope he could get a 5th or 6th rd pick for Scandella and maybe retain $1 million.

Sobotka could be sent down and if he clears waivers, maybe he doesn't report terminating his contract.

Going to be interesting this next week...

I'd think Sobotka the obvious choice. 

16 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Not even remotely suggesting it would be a good idea but it wouldn't surprise me if it happened.

I still think strongly that JBot's timeline/plan and ours are not the same. he is building an organization (I think) that is strong on the bottom (picks, prospects, the farm team etc) and eventually that'll mean long term perennial success for the big club. Doing that however, takes longer than most of us have the patience for, myself included. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not even remotely suggesting it would be a good idea but it wouldn't surprise me if it happened.

I still think strongly that JBot's timeline/plan and ours are not the same. he is building an organization (I think) that is strong on the bottom (picks, prospects, the farm team etc) and eventually that'll mean long term perennial success for the big club. Doing that however, takes longer than most of us have the patience for, myself included. 

Agree 100%.  It's our right to be impatient.  The only people JBOT needs to convince of his long term plan are the Pegulas.  I think it's the correct long term plan but I still reserve the right to throw the remote at the TV in the short term.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I dunno. imo a team as bad as we were should not be pushed up against the cap in any way. Something has to give.

I'm starting to wonder if he isn't simply going to move Risto for draft picks and/or prospects. 

The only trades that made any sense to me were the package McCabe+Risto for a prospect deal. And I’m totally for it

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.