Ullmark Agrees to One Year 1.325 Million AAV Deal

Brawndo

Just now, shrader said:

This is one case where it's a shame that they don't have the baseball system of one offer or the other.  He's worth a lot closer to the team figure than he is to his figure.

If that was the system, the two figures submitted probably would be a lot closer together.

6 minutes ago, Curt said:

I’m not saying anything definitively, but I don’t think it’s obvious that Lazar is better than Elie at either level.  Al least not enough for me to care at all whether Pegula is paying them 700k or 800k when it’s not going to impact the cap.

Fair enough.  

As to Ullmark - David Rittich, 26, now the starter in Calg played 45 games last year with a 2.61 and .911.  He re-signed for two years at 2.75 per year.  He made 800K last season.  

Ullmark, 26, played 37 games with a 3.11 and .905.  I can see why his agent asked what he did when comparing to Rittich, but less games, and worse stats and being a platoon says to me 1.5 to 1.75 at best.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 3

Ullmark didn't cover the post several times last season resulting in some terrible goals given up and in turn costing the Sabres several games. So by that theory, offer is $800,000. LOL!

Someone said he'll get $1.5 mil which sounds about right.

These starting salary figures sound about right.

Ullmark asking for way more than he is going to get, and the Sabres low balling him.

They'll meet somewhere in the middle.

Ullmark is not the answer going forward, so honestly, who cares?

11 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Ullmark is not the answer going forward, so honestly, who cares?

I'm not so sure I can completely agree with this. Goalies are weird and develop/bring it together at odd times. I'd give him another season as a backup before I'd rule him out as a potential #1. Let's see what the new goalie coach can do with him. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, dudacek said:

Elie was a solid 2nd round prospect that Dallas developed but eventually decided wasn’t going to make it and waived.

I have no problem with picking him up on waivers as a no-risk reclamation prospect. But I am not sure what he has done to warrant a one-way contract, or why he was even qualified. I understand that we lack fast, physical forechecking wingers in the system, but you have to be able to translate that to the NHL.

Elie is essentially Baptiste or Bailey in terms of his career. You don’t go to arbitration with guys like that, you replace them.

Through Botterill’s actions, I can only conclude he still believes Elie has an NHL future and that’s not a positive on his talent evaluation ledger.

It's entirely possible we've gone from a GM who couldn't evaluate defensemen to save his life to one who can't evaluate forwards to save his life.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It's entirely possible we've gone from a GM who couldn't evaluate defensemen to save his life to one who can't evaluate forwards to save his life.

I think it’s another instance of JBott “doing what’s right by the player.” I doubt he believed Ellie would file arb or make the NHL roster, but he wanted to give him a salary boost while playing in the AHL. There was an article in the athletic not too long ago about players filing arb typically being moved afterwards. I would suspect this will be the case here. 

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

I think it’s another instance of JBott “doing what’s right by the player.” I doubt he believed Ellie would file arb or make the NHL roster, but he wanted to give him a salary boost while playing in the AHL. There was an article in the athletic not too long ago about players filing arb typically being moved afterwards. I would suspect this will be the case here. 

Dallas signed Elie to a one way deal last season. We paid him 800K last season regardless of which league he played in.

On 8/1/2019 at 8:26 AM, StuckinFL said:

I'm not so sure I can completely agree with this. Goalies are weird and develop/bring it together at odd times. I'd give him another season as a backup before I'd rule him out as a potential #1. Let's see what the new goalie coach can do with him. 

Agree.

No goalie is “the answer” until the team in front of them are solid and deep. Then, as a team they should succeed.

At this point, no goalie in our system is “the answer”. Hell, Binnington wasn’t the answer ... until he became one with a solid team and great coaching supporting him.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Agree.

No goalie is “the answer” until the team in front of them are solid and deep. Then, as a team they should succeed.

At this point, no goalie in our system is “the answer”. Hell, Binnington wasn’t the answer ... until he became one with a solid team and great coaching supporting him.

Binnington still isn't necessarily the answer for the Blues. He was just good enough to get them the 4 wins they needed in each round of the playoffs. He did not light it up, nor was he doing headstands, but they won Lord Stanley's Cup. 

I agree that Ullmark has some work to do. I hope the best Linus shows up this season and has many years playing for the Sabres. Having consistently solid defensive play in front of whomever is in net will help all of them, of course. That is something we have not seen from the Sabres in many years. 

5 minutes ago, oregelbundet oregelbunden said:

Binnington still isn't necessarily the answer for the Blues. He was just good enough to get them the 4 wins they needed in each round of the playoffs. He did not light it up, nor was he doing headstands, but they won Lord Stanley's Cup. 

I agree that Ullmark has some work to do. I hope the best Linus shows up this season and has many years playing for the Sabres. Having consistently solid defensive play in front of whomever is in net will help all of them, of course. That is something we have not seen from the Sabres in many years. 

He was more than just good enough for them, and that was before the playoffs. He may not be the answer because it was half a season and playoffs, not because of how he played during that

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.