Ullmark Agrees to One Year 1.325 Million AAV Deal

Brawndo

I'm a little surprised by that Sabres offer. His lack of development under a goalie coach that was fired doesn't even get him a little slack.

I'm assuming the Sabres probably offered him a higher number but his agent rejected that, so the Sabres are just low-balling to hopefully get Linus at the number they originally offered.

Just now, Zamboni said:

I can see Ullmark getting over 2 mil. a year. 

No chance.

• Like (+1) 3

I'll guess 1.2, which is a 50% raise from last season. He started merely 34 times and has played in less than 70 nhl games in his career. I can't imagine a (hopefully, but not yet proven) reliable backup goalie gets much more in his 2d true season as an nhl player.

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He made 800k last season with a 750k cap hit.  The Sabres qualifying offer had to be 840K (800 * 1.05).  Can we really offer less then the qualifying offer in arbitration?   

He’s going to get 1.5.  

I think a little under. 1.375 or something like that.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He made 800k last season with a 750k cap hit.  The Sabres qualifying offer had to be 840K (800 * 1.05).  Can we really offer less then the qualifying offer in arbitration?   

He’s going to get 1.5.  

After the player rejects the qualifying offer, the team can offer anything they chose.

On a 1 year deal, would expect that $1.5MM to be the ceiling on his deal.  If Sabres chose 2 year (doubt they would, but if) then would expect average to be $1.5-$2.

One thing is clear, JBOT is not rewarding poor performance.  Who knows what the arbitrator will give, but JBOT is holding the line on Larry, Girgs, E-ROD and now Linus.  Good for him.  As this rate, Remi Elie may have to pay the Sabres to play.

Edited by Tondas
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

The tradition of not paying players who haven’t proven themselves continues for Botterill.

Ullmark has a case that the Sabres use him close to how they use Hutton and thus he deserves close to Hutton.

But it’s a weak case. To this point in his career he is an OK backup, which has a going rate of about $1.5 million per.

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The tradition of not paying players who haven’t proven themselves continues for Botterill.

Ullmark has a case that the Sabres use him close to how they use Hutton and thus he deserves close to Hutton.

But it’s a weak case. To this point in his career he is an OK backup, which has a going rate of about $1.5 million per.

Arguing one season's worth of usage against Hutton's established career as a platoon style goalie doesn't really do Ullmark any favors.

You couldn't steal the starting job from a career backup, Linus?

Not a lot of ground for him to stand on. Hutton's experience makes him more valuable.

1 hour ago, Tondas said:

One thing is clear, JBOT is not rewarding poor performance.  Who knows what the arbitrator will give, but JBOT is holding the line on Larry, Girgs, E-ROD and now Linus.  Good for him.  As this rate, Remi Elie may have to pay the Sabres to play.

I'm not sure why the Sabres gave Elie a qualifying offer to begin with.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

It’s not really his case that he wants/thinks he’ll be paid like Hutton. The flaw is in the arbitration system here: they almost always “split the difference”, so the player goes way high knowing it’ll be in the middle. 

Botterill (or any GM) would save himself a bit of time (Sabres represent half of the total league wide arbitration hearings remaining) if he just went to all these guys and offered them a deal right in the middle of the two asks. It’s what always happens anyways. 

- - - 

To the bolded, (as far as I know) Botterill’s first (and biggest) contract was paying Eichel 10 mil per before he had come close to proving to be worth that much. I think your statement the other day about Botterill being reluctant to pay non-core rings more true. 

Edited by Thorny

Unscientific babbling:

Using Evan Rodrigues award as a model:

Evan Rodrigues: $2.65M

Sabres: $1.1M

Arbitrator: $2M = 58% of difference + Sabres

Linus Ullmark: $2.65M

Sabres: $0.8M

Arbitrator: 58% of difference + Sabres = $1.87M

Using Carter Hutton games played as a model:

Carter Hutton: 50GP, $2.75M

Linus Ullmark: 38GP / 50GP * $2.75M = $2.09M

Using Carter Hutton shots against made as a model:

Carter Hutton: 1541SA, $2.75M

Linus Ullmark: 1146SA / 1541SA * $2.75M = $2.05M

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Tondas said:

57 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm not sure why the Sabres gave Elie a qualifying offer to begin with.

@Tondas lol.  

I thought he was on a 2 way deal last year but apparently not.  He made 735K on a one way deal last year.  I have no idea why you’d qualify him to pay him nearly 800K to play in the AHL because he isn’t making the Sabres.  

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I thought he was on a 2 way deal last year but apparently not.  He made 735K on a one way deal last year.  I have no idea why you’d qualify him to pay him nearly 800K to play in the AHL because he isn’t making the Sabres.  

They probably actually like Elie as a quality AHL forward and a guy they are comfortable with on the 4th line or as 13th guy when there is an injury.  The AHL team is going to be good again.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

@Tondas lol.  

Elie was a solid 2nd round prospect that Dallas developed but eventually decided wasn’t going to make it and waived.

I have no problem with picking him up on waivers as a no-risk reclamation prospect. But I am not sure what he has done to warrant a one-way contract, or why he was even qualified. I understand that we lack fast, physical forechecking wingers in the system, but you have to be able to translate that to the NHL.

Elie is essentially Baptiste or Bailey in terms of his career. You don’t go to arbitration with guys like that, you replace them.

Through Botterill’s actions, I can only conclude he still believes Elie has an NHL future and that’s not a positive on his talent evaluation ledger.

Edited by dudacek

1 minute ago, Curt said:

They probably actually like Elie as a quality AHL forward and a guy they are comfortable with on the 4th line or as 13th guy when there is an injury.  The AHL team is going to be good again.

Except you can get better players at both levels like Lazar for 700K.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Except you can get better players at both levels like Lazar for 700K.

I’m not saying anything definitively, but I don’t think it’s obvious that Lazar is better than Elie at either level.  Al least not enough for me to care at all whether Pegula is paying them 700k or 800k when it’s not going to impact the cap.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.