The dog days of hockey

PASabreFan

I'm looking for the 10-day period that represents the bottoming out, the nadir if you will, of hockey talk/interest/news. I feel like we're just into it, but I'm not sure. It has to be sometime between the last 10 days of July and the first 10 days of August, IMHO. Before 7/21 free agency and the aftermath are still in our thoughts. Any time after 8/10, I adjudge, the mind goes to training camp, season previews, season prognostications and the like. So I decree 7/27 – 8/6 to be, officially, the dog days of hockey.

You are free to disagree.

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm looking for the 10-day period that represents the bottoming out, the nadir if you will, of hockey talk/interest/news. I feel like we're just into it, but I'm not sure. It has to be sometime between the last 10 days of July and the first 10 days of August, IMHO. Before 7/21 free agency and the aftermath are still in our thoughts. Any time after 8/10, I adjudge, the mind goes to training camp, season previews, season prognostications and the like. So I decree 7/27 – 8/6 to be, officially, the dog days of hockey.

You are free to disagree.

I refuse.

Timely post.  I was thinking along the same lines.  Been bored with the nothings happening for the past few weeks and it occurred to me we still have several more weeks to go before we're likely to have anything interesting to talk about.  The summer is very nice, and I prefer the weather over winter, but, I would like some hockey something-or-other.  

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, oregelbundet oregelbunden said:

I heard a rumor that the training room got a new coat of paint...... and they are all sitting there watching it dry.

Get out and enjoy the summer. It's gonna be cold and snow before you know it. At least there will be hockey then.

Just rumor.

My source has confirmed that someone just put a"wet paint" sign on the wall and they are filming to see whom touches it to see if it's really wet.

RaKru  said it's an exercise in discipline/anticipation/ and will power implemented to test the reaction time of the players as related to their Fenwick and Corsi numbers.

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Just rumor.

My source has confirmed that someone just put a"wet paint" sign on the wall and they are filming to see whom touches it to see if it's really wet.

RaKru  said it's an exercise in discipline/anticipation/ and will power implemented to test the reaction time of the players as related to their Fenwick and Corsi numbers.

get out GIF

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Just rumor.

lazy cat GIF

• Haha (+1) 3

Seems about right. The last arbitration hearings are scheduled for Sunday, August 4. If we don't see a 2C trade by the end of that week, (seems like things would open up after those hearing are finished, if they were to) I'd start to get a little nervous that one isn't coming. 

So that's next week already. 

Edited by Thorny

39 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Seems about right. The last arbitration hearings are scheduled for Sunday, August 4. If we don't see a 2C trade by the end of that week, (seems like things would open up after those hearing are finished, if they were to) I'd start to get a little nervous that one isn't coming. 

So that's next week already. 

Wouldn't be sweating a lack of a trade until around the 1st preseason game.  If we're still looking at Johansson, Rodrigues, and Mittelstadt (shudder) supplying the 2C, thus could be a long season.

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Wouldn't be sweating a lack of a trade until around the 1st preseason game.  If we're still looking at Johansson, Rodrigues, and Mittelstadt (shudder) supplying the 2C, thus could be a long season.

Personally there's no chance I'm hopeful for a trade of that magnitude if we are already into mid-to-late August/early September without one. Don't think it's too often you see bigger names moved that late. 

Edited by Thorny

52 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Saw "Sobotka" trending on American twitter. Was intrigued, so I logged in here to see.

Turns out a pitcher named Chad Sobotka gave up a grand slam.

Dog days indeed

Gave up a grand slam.  Must have served up a hangin' Chad.  I'll see myself out.  Dog days indeed.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.