Sabres/Bills New Journalist: Maddy Glab

WildCard

25 minutes ago, Curt said:

If you are going to be interviewing people or presenting information to an audience, that’s journalism.

She isn’t an investigative reporter and she is working for a private company, so she will be reporting what they assign to her, but it’s still journalism.

Is a news anchor a journalist?  All they do is sit in a chair, read what someone hands them, and look at the camera, but it’s still journalism.

Umm, if you are writing press releases, which often include interviews, you are a marketer.

She will, if she's filling Lauren Hall's shoes, be providing press releases.  (Or blogs, V blogs, whatever.)

Chris Brown, at one time was a journalist/ reporter.  Back when Shout/ Bills Digest was an independent publication.  After the Bills bought it, he became a PR / marketer.  Because of his background, having been an independent reporter, he seems to have a bit more leeway than the typical PR guy, but he still works for the Bills and that should be remembered when he reports a story.

Not saying that PR people don't provide useful information.  They can and often do.  But, they are getting paid by the company getting the positive publicity and the info they provide might ( yeah, right, might ? ) put a more favorable spin on the info than is warranted.

But, it's cool that there is another person that will be providing info about the Bills & Sabres (& Bandits too, presumably).  However sanitized it may be.

And these people can provide really interesting info.  We, here at SabreSpace, knew about the "Eichel Tower" but the average fan that doesn't waste hours here didn't.  Due to an intermission featurette, a much wider audience heard about it.  That wasn't TBN nor the D&C running that story, that was the team.

1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

Did I miss it?

what is TSW?

And how did it go downhill fast?

i saw her on instigators. She sounded fine. Peters as usual talked over her mid sentence several times. I can’t believe the producers don’t say something to that cro-magnon.

The Stadium Wall

which happens to be the primary message board at

Two Bills Drive. ?

Btw,

OTW is Off the Wall TBD's board for random non-football stuff and

PPP is Politics, Polls, & Pundits (not necessarily in that order) TBD's board for political discussion.

And there are a few other boards on that side, but those are the main ones.

As for how / whether TBD's TSW went downhill; the Buffalo Bills Message Board was shutdown by the Bills about 2 years ago and a lot of refugees came over to TBD at that time.  Apparently each board had a rather distinctive personality.  (Never was on the BBMB, so no data on what that one was like.)

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

Umm, if you are writing press releases, which often include interviews, you are a marketer.

She will, if she's filling Lauren Hall's shoes, be providing press releases.  (Or blogs, V blogs, whatever.)

Chris Brown, at one time was a journalist/ reporter.  Back when Shout/ Bills Digest was an independent publication.  After the Bills bought it, he became a PR / marketer.  Because of his background, having been an independent reporter, he seems to have a bit more leeway than the typical PR guy, but he still works for the Bills and that should be remembered when he reports a story.

Not saying that PR people don't provide useful information.  They can and often do.  But, they are getting paid by the company getting the positive publicity and the info they provide might ( yeah, right, might ? ) put a more favorable spin on the info than is warranted.

But, it's cool that there is another person that will be providing info about the Bills & Sabres (& Bandits too, presumably).  However sanitized it may be.

And these people can provide really interesting info.  We, here at SabreSpace, knew about the "Eichel Tower" but the average fan that doesn't waste hours here didn't.  Due to an intermission featurette, a much wider audience heard about it.  That wasn't TBN nor the D&C running that story, that was the team.

I disagree (no biggie though).  

A marketer helps a company on strategy for reaching their audience, and yes writes marketing material.

But if you are doing sideline reporting and interviewing people, you qualify as a journalist.  

@PASabreFan, @Taro T, @Weave, @Eleven ,,, he never kisses and tells, so I'm not sure about him and @me are all around the same age, which is old.  So, maybe our thoughts on what journalist and journalism means is a bit different than some of the younger posters.

Anyway, whatever the young lady is going to be doing, good for her.  It's a big career move (I would think) in her field, so I wish her the best.

MUST WIN!!

GO SABRES!!

• Like (+1) 1

FTR I have no problem with someone in that role and I certainly have no problem with this woman. I will consume some or most of what she produces, but I will always keep in mind that the info. is being spun. Now, if she's given a little more rope, as Taro suggests Chris Brown was given, and she starts producing a different kind of content, I will change my thinking. I just disagree with the idea of thinking of her as a journalist (I can barely think of the professional media covering the team as journalists, but they certainly count, technically, because of their mission). It seems like a no-brainer, I dunno.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Incorrect.  She totally sounds like a Great Lakes person.

Yeah, I'll take The L on that one. I heard a regional accent, and I guess she just had the look an SEC network content-creator (which, ironically enough, she was for several years leading up to this gig).

Listening again, she would not have been out of place on the old Da Bears sketch on SNL.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

FTR I have no problem with someone in that role and I certainly have no problem with this woman. I will consume some or most of what she produces, but I will always keep in mind that the info. is being spun. Now, if she's given a little more rope, as Taro suggests Chris Brown was given, and she starts producing a different kind of content, I will change my thinking. I just disagree with the idea of thinking of her as a journalist (I can barely think of the professional media covering the team as journalists, but they certainly count, technically, because of their mission). It seems like a no-brainer, I dunno.

From Merriam-Webster:

I would say that this type of position definitely falls under 1a and 2c.  You seem to be keeping the definition somewhat strictly confined under 1b.  Also, man, there really isn’t much hockey news happening right now.

Definition of journalism

1athe collection and editing of news for presentation through the media
bthe public press
can academic study concerned with the collection and editing of news or the management of a news medium
2awriting designed for publication in a newspaper or magazine
bwriting characterized by a direct presentation of facts or description of events without an attempt at interpretation
cwriting designed to appeal to current popular taste or public interest

Edited by Curt

5 hours ago, Curt said:

From Merriam-Webster:

I would say that this type of position definitely falls under 1a and 2c.  You seem to be keeping the definition somewhat strictly confined under 1b.  Also, man, there really isn’t much hockey news happening right now.

Definition of journalism

bthe public press
can academic study concerned with the collection and editing of news or the management of a news medium
bwriting characterized by a direct presentation of facts or description of events without an attempt at interpretation

1a would also require a very loose definition of "news" and "media." Media used to be TV, newspapers and radio. Is sabres.com media? Is SabreSpace? Are we all journalists here? There's an obvious distinction at work here that I think everyone recognizes. Arguing it is, as you suggested, just a mental exercise until the Sabres can start tormenting us again in the fall.,

7 hours ago, steveoath said:

Can she play 2C, though?

See below

5 hours ago, Curt said:

From Merriam-Webster:

Definition of journalism

bthe public press

It would appear she's specifically hired to be a 2c according to MW.

She's an employee of the teams, then she's a marketer designed to create stories and appeal to a certain segment of the crowd.  It's most certainly not the same as journalism even though both would share similarities.  One is done to promote, the other is done to report.

Now, I think we all know that some journalism is done as a promotion these days and so it might blur the lines.

Either way, I hope she does a great job.  I love her name.  It has the right "sound" for an online personality.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, LTS said:

See below

It would appear she's specifically hired to be a 2c according to MW.

She's an employee of the teams, then she's a marketer designed to create stories and appeal to a certain segment of the crowd.  It's most certainly not the same as journalism even though both would share similarities.  One is done to promote, the other is done to report.

Now, I think we all know that some journalism is done as a promotion these days and so it might blur the lines.

Either way, I hope she does a great job.  I love her name.  It has the right "sound" for an online personality.

I have absolutely no problem with this kind of state run media as long as the consumers are able to recognize it for what it is.  Now if only we could get the majority of people to that point.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, shrader said:

I have absolutely no problem with this kind of state run media as long as the consumers are able to recognize it for what it is.  Now if only we could get the majority of people to that point.

The world has survived this long with stupid people.  PT Barnum didn't have Twitter.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

It's so frustrating how bad the instigators are. All I want to do is listen to competent analysis of our team and between them and John Murphy + Steve Tasker + Sal I get nowhere near that

As a former player, I enjoy listening to their stories and hearing their different opinions on things... it's just like sitting in the locker room listening to your teammate's opine about random topics no matter how terrible their opinions might be.... it's entertainment.

If you're looking for astute hockey analysis, this is not it.    

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

As a former player, I enjoy listening to their stories and hearing their different opinions on things... it's just like sitting in the locker room listening to your teammate's opine about random topics no matter how terrible their opinions might be.... it's entertainment.

If you're looking for astute hockey analysis, this is not it.    

Spittin Chiclets is a much, much better outlet if that's what you're looking for to be honest

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

Is that the John Scott podcast?

Na it's with Paul Bissionette and Ryan Whitney. They get current/former players on to tell their favorite stories of their playing days. It's the #1 podcast in Canada, you would love it honestly 

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

Na it's with Paul Bissionette and Ryan Whitney. They get current/former players on to tell their favorite stories of their playing days. It's the #1 podcast in Canada, you would love it honestly 

Thanks I'll check it ewt.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.