ERod -- 1 yr, $2MM, after being > $1 million apart in arbitration

Ho-Chi-Sock

33 minutes ago, LTS said:

Why am I under the impression that you cannot bury a contract in the AHL or via loan to another team to save against the cap?

I remember that you USED to be able to bury people in the AHL for that purpose, but I thought they killed that.  It seems that if you could loan a player somewhere then every team would be able to solve their cap problems by doing that wouldn't they?  

You can bury PART of the contract in the AHL.  I forget the specific number, but let's just pretend it's the NHL minimum.  That is the amount that can be buried.  Any amount over that figure still counts against the cap.  So if a guy makes $2 million and the cutoff line is $600k, that player would still count as $1.4 million against the cap.

This only counts for one-way contracts though.  A two-way deal does not count against the cap if they're sent down.

• Like (+1) 3

52 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Is he a UFA after this year?

47 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Correct. He's 27 on July 1, 2021 though, so this will be his final deal that he's RFA at the end. 

I think this factors in to why they didn't go for something like a 3 year deal before the arb ruling kicked in. It would only be buying 1 UFA year. We'd be looking at a 4-5 year, 2-3 mil per deal this summer to avoid that, and that's more the province of Nashville. 

Botterill probably taking this season to evaluate whether or not he gets a long term deal. 

Edited by Thorny

11 minutes ago, shrader said:

You can bury PART of the contract in the AHL.  I forget the specific number, but let's just pretend it's the NHL minimum.  That is the amount that can be buried.  Any amount over that figure still counts against the cap.  So if a guy makes $2 million and the cutoff line is $600k, that player would still count as $1.4 million against the cap.

This only counts for one-way contracts though.  A two-way deal does not count against the cap if they're sent down.

You can bury ~$350k over the league minimum (don't have access to the exact $ amount at present) of a 1 way contract in the minors.  So you can save a small amount by calling up somebody on a league minimum deal.  But they get very little relief by doing so. 

The NHLPA didn't want anymore Reddens.  They want vets that lose their jobs to get bought out if they are untradable rather than be buried permanently in the minors.  Presumably once FA's they can negotiate a cheaper deal with somebody else.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Why am I under the impression that you cannot bury a contract in the AHL or via loan to another team to save against the cap?

I remember that you USED to be able to bury people in the AHL for that purpose, but I thought they killed that.  It seems that if you could loan a player somewhere then every team would be able to solve their cap problems by doing that wouldn't they?  

The CBA allows up to 1.075 cap savings per buried contract for contracts of 1.075 or greater.  Contracts under 1.075 you get a dollar for dollar cap savings.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

16 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Very reasonable.  I actually thought it would be for a bit more.  Why only 1 year?

Team picks term b/c player initiated arbitration. They have the choice between 1 or 2 year deal, and a 2 year deal would have left him an UFA at time of expiry. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Article says E-Rod was awarded a contract.  It this final or could the Sabres walk away?

The Sabre’s confirmed they signed him to contact awarded by arbitration.

The interesting thing is that by accepting the arbitration decision the Sabre’s are now able to initiate a buy out of another player when second buy out window opens.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Tondas said:

Article says E-Rod was awarded a contract.  It this final or could the Sabres walk away?

4 hours ago, tom webster said:

The Sabre’s confirmed they signed him to contact awarded by arbitration.

The interesting thing is that by accepting the arbitration decision the Sabre’s are now able to initiate a buy out of another player when second buy out window opens.

Correct, but also, the Sabres were actually unable to walk away anyways due to the low AAV. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 hours ago, shrader said:

Thanks.  (and to the others that chimed in).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.