ERod -- 1 yr, $2MM, after being > $1 million apart in arbitration

Ho-Chi-Sock

9 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

How many dollars do we have left to sign ullmark and McCabe after this signing?

I don’t have the exact amount, but right now it’s not too important. We are able to exceed the cap by 10% during the off-season. If Botts wants to lock up McCabe and Ullmark it’s not an issue at this time. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I don’t have the exact amount, but right now it’s not too important. We are able to exceed the cap by 10% during the off-season. If Botts wants to lock up McCabe and Ullmark it’s not an issue at this time. 

We just have to be cap compliant by opening day.

We have about 3.1 left in cap space.  Once Ullmark and McCabe sign (I’m figuring about 4.5 to 5 for both) we’ll be over approx 2 mill. and have one player to many on our roster (13 F, 9 D and 2 G).  Once the season starts Bogo goes to IR ending both our roster and cap issue for the short term.  However I doubt Jbot goes that route.  

I think it’s much more likely some currently listed players are traded or waived.

• Like (+1) 1

Another player who won’t have a contract next summer.

According to capfriendly we have 24 NHLers, only 8 (Jack, Jeff, Kyle, MJ, Risto, Rasmus, Miller and Hutton) are signed beyond this year. Three of those (Hutton, MJ, Rasmus) have two years left. That can’t be a coincidence.

If contract year motivation means anything, we should be highly motivated.

13 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I would have noped out of this one.

1) That was not an option for Buffalo.  The team is only able to walk away if the awarded salary is over $4.3M, I believe.

2) How much is ERod (a 10 goal, 30 point forward who can play either C or W and on the PK or PP) worth?  

3) What type of player is worth $2M?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

1) That was not an option for Buffalo.  The team is only able to walk away if the awarded salary is over $4.3M, I believe.

2) How much is ERod (a 10 goal, 30 point forward who can play either C or W and on the PK or PP) worth?  

3) What type of player is worth $2M?

1) I haven't seen that.  You may be right.  So find another way to get rid of him.  But how were they able to walk away from Tim Kennedy?

2) 1.6, per my post above, which is absolutely correct and unquestionable.

3) Honestly, I'm not sure.  I think we're looking at a team where forwards make either more than 5M or less than 2M.

Edited by Eleven

18 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Every Team has a second buyout period that begins after the last arbitration case

No, only teams that had players actually go through arbitration. According to the below article, Toronto, Van, Chi, AZ, CBJ, Det, Edm, Min, NYI, SJ, and Ott cannot participate.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/looking-at-potential-buyout-targets-with-the-second-window-looming

As to ERod’s value. 2.0 is reasonable given he has produced 25 and 29 pts the last two years.  At $100K per pt. that’s a 2.7 mill player for 2.0. Add his versatility and Pk skills and we are getting good value from Erod.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

1) I haven't seen that.  You may be right.  So find another way to get rid of him.  But how were they able to walk away from Tim Kennedy?

3) Honestly, I'm not sure.  I think we're looking at a team where forwards make either more than 5M or less than 2M.

They bought out Kennedy.  That's the only option here if they wanted out.  So basically, they can get out, but there is a cap penalty for doing so.  For those higher contracts that can be walked away from, there is no cap hit there.

1 minute ago, shrader said:

They bought out Kennedy.  That's the only option here if they wanted out.  So basically, they can get out, but there is a cap penalty for doing so.  For those higher contracts that can be walked away from, there is no cap hit there.

I don’t think under this most recent CBA we would have even been able to buyout Kennedy. I have read that the buyout must be for a contract 3.45 or above.

26 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don’t know anything about Kennedy.  I respect your certainty on the 1.6 number, haha.  

I think your answer to 3) is key.  From what I’ve seen recently,  veteran 4th liners are getting around $1.5M, 3rd liners around $2-3M.  

9 minutes ago, Ho-Chi-Sock said:

I wanted to update the thread title after the signing but wasn't able to from the Editing menu.

If you edit your opening post you can also edit the title from there.

11 minutes ago, SDS said:

is this topic different from the contract one?

@GASabresIUFAN was so excited about the contract that he forgot all about this thread.  The two threads are pretty much the same discussion and could be mereged.  It is actually pretty confusing to have both going.  That said, I confuse very easily.

• Like (+1) 1

• nfreeman changed the title to ERod -- 1 yr, $2MM, after being > $1 million apart in arbitration

Does the buyout period the Sabres evidently now have extend to players besides ERod?  Or can they buy out only ERod?

If it extends to other players, how does the cap hit work?  What would be the consequences if they bought out KO?

Inquiring minds wanna know.

39 minutes ago, shrader said:

Well, they're stuck then.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 3:49 PM, shrader said:

Wait, is that what he was referencing? I had no idea. 

Not sure if you are being sarcastic but I just like tipping my hat to the OP's who use these old skool references by sharing in the reference with a youtube vid or a meme

Edited by ddaryl

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We have about 3.1 left in cap space.  Once Ullmark and McCabe sign (I’m figuring about 4.5 to 5 for both) we’ll be over approx 2 mill. and have one player to many on our roster (13 F, 9 D and 2 G).  Once the season starts Bogo goes to IR ending both our roster and cap issue for the short term.  However I doubt Jbot goes that route.  

I think it’s much more likely some currently listed players are traded or waived.

Yep. I think either 1 of Girgs, Larry, or E-Rod will be a sweetener to go along with Risto (wherever that is).

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Well, they're stuck then.

It’s not as much money as you might think it is. Unfortunately I can’t find anything more recent than 2016, but his deal is below that year’s median salary of $2.25 million. So it seems like it should be right in line with what you might be expecting For a third line guy. And I said it earlier in the thread, it’s the big money deals that cause cap troubles, not the $2 million guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Kennedy was under the limit for “have to accept” that year, I think one million. Team is able to walk away for anything under that amount.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/23/2019 at 5:08 PM, Tondas said:

Kennedy'd.  That would mean we have to send him back and to the left, back and to the left.

First, EROD is worth a lot more and I believe this is a contract JBOT will regret.

Second, they can only buy out a player making over $3.4 million and on their reserve list as of a particular date.

Rest if the details can be listed by others.

Good day.

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Bogo would have to go on LTIR, not just IR, to be eligible for cap savings, and I don’t believe he ever has been while as a Sabre. Not to say he couldn’t be. 

5 hours ago, tom webster said:

First, EROD is worth a lot more and I believe this is a contract JBOT will regret.

Second, they can only buy out a player making over $3.4 million and on their reserve list as of a particular date.

Rest if the details can be listed by others.

Good day.

Tom,

It was a J.F. Kennedy reference (regarding the Tim Kennedy past situation) and an attempt at humor.  My bad.

image.thumb.png.94be3e4cb8a3f5237653ca494d5bf86e.png

18 hours ago, Curt said:

What does he need to do to earn the $2M, in your opinion?

Consistency. I think at times last year he looked good relative to a bad team but I'm still not sold on his ability to score. If he plays solid minutes and brings in numbers next year as good or a little better than this one he earns it. That's all. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.