ERod -- 1 yr, $2MM, after being > $1 million apart in arbitration

Ho-Chi-Sock

53 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

The second and third lines for the Sabres this past year where not very good.

Why is it paramount that anyone of these individuals be kept?

I don’t think it’s paramount, but you need to evaluate the players as individuals.  Half of the middle six was decent 3rd line players, the other half was guys who played like they shouldn’t be in the league.  Together, the middle 6 was garbage, but not every player in the middle 6 is garbage.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Drunkard said:

If that happened who is gonna play center for this team this season? Are you bumping one of Girgensons or Larsson up to the 3rd line? Would you put Sobotka up there? Rush Asplund into the NHL when he may or may not be ready yet?

Yes, to any of your 4 alternatives.  McCabe and Ullmark are more valuable and I don't think we can afford all 3.  E-Rod goes at $2 mil.

7 hours ago, Weave said:

It is only paramount to the extent that we need to have an improvement on the roster before letting someone go.

So there are no problems paying 2 million for a 3rd line center an long as he is better than E-Rod?

Because that's where I'm at. Spend the money wisely, he's not Skinner.

5 hours ago, Tondas said:

Yes, to any of your 4 alternatives.  McCabe and Ullmark are more valuable and I don't think we can afford all 3.  E-Rod goes at $2 mil.

It’s an interesting point about not being able to afford all 3, and I agree that McCabe and Ullmark are more valuable.  

Makes you wonder whether Zemgus and Larsson saw the pie getting smaller and grabbed theirs while they could.  I kinda think their agents would’ve advised them to do so.  

I’m also interested in the question raised upthread of whether there would be a dropoff if their bottom 2 centers were 2 of Zemgus, Larsson and Asplund.  I could be convinced either way.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Tondas said:

I'd rather dump Sobotka or somebody worse and more expensive than Rodriguez to come up with the money. I'd keep McCabe and Ullmark as well but there are plenty of other places to trim the fat on this team (Scandella, Bogosian, Sobotka, Okposo, Hunwick, etc.).

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why can't we afford Erod?  Even at 2.6, I'd much rather keep him then Girgensons, Larsson, Sobotka or Wilson.  You cut or trade 2 of these excess forwards and you have the money for Erod.

When you say cut, what do you mean?  Buyout? 

Edited by LTS

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Cut = waive aka send down to the AHL.

Why am I under the impression that you cannot bury a contract in the AHL or via loan to another team to save against the cap?

I remember that you USED to be able to bury people in the AHL for that purpose, but I thought they killed that.  It seems that if you could loan a player somewhere then every team would be able to solve their cap problems by doing that wouldn't they?  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.