ERod -- 1 yr, $2MM, after being > $1 million apart in arbitration

Ho-Chi-Sock

3 hours ago, darksabre said:

Erod better hope they don't reward him too much or else he's going to get Tim Kennedy'd.

Kennedy'd.  That would mean we have to send him back and to the left, back and to the left.

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Andrew Copp came in at 2 years, 4.56 mil. So my guess is it'll be around that.

Team picks the term, right? Did they already pick one or two years or do we hear that later?

But Copp is so much better than ERod.

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

But Copp is so much better than ERod.

Stretching the truth to it's breaking point, here. 

Having said that, looking at the numbers again I'll guess Rodrigues comes in at 2.1 per. So about 180k short of Copp (2.28 per).

Edited by Thorny

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Stretching the truth to it's breaking point, here. 

Having said that, looking at the numbers again I'll guess Rodrigues comes in at 2.1 per. So about 180k short of Copp (2.28 per).

I’ll defer to your superior jet knowledge, but I see Copp as equally offensively, better defensively and he doesn’t have that pesky problem of losing puck battles to all but the laziest opponents.

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’ll defer to your superior jet knowledge, but I see Copp as equally offensively, better defensively and he doesn’t have that pesky problem of losing puck battles to all but the laziest opponents.

I'm actually deferring to Sabres fans who repeatedly tout Rodrigues as being a pretty good hockey player, lots of those fancy articles out there detailing why, even though I have a slightly lower opinion on him based on the eye test. 

Copp is fairly good and I agree with your talent evaluation but I don't think his ceiling is much higher than where he's at now. 

19 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

Do you pay E-Rod more than Larsson?

Probably, but not much. Larsson at $1.55 sets my ERod ceiling about $1.75. Maybe I'm out of touch with NHL salary structure, but I agree that $2 for ERod just feels wrong and leads to cap trouble.

31 minutes ago, mphs mike said:

Probably, but not much. Larsson at $1.55 sets my ERod ceiling about $1.75. Maybe I'm out of touch with NHL salary structure, but I agree that $2 for ERod just feels wrong and leads to cap trouble.

It's never the $2 million contract that causes cap trouble.

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

It's never the $2 million contract that causes cap trouble.

Right. Even if you want to be shot of a 2m contract in a couple years you can trade it away easy enough. But you're talking like 2.5% of your cap. An extra 250k one way or the other isn't going to make a huge difference.

13 hours ago, Tondas said:

It's not my money and I like E-Rod, but paying him more that $2 mil just doesn't feel right to me.  Unless JBOT has a trade lined up for E-Rod, I'd walk away from $2 mil.

If that happened who is gonna play center for this team this season? Are you bumping one of Girgensons or Larsson up to the 3rd line? Would you put Sobotka up there? Rush Asplund into the NHL when he may or may not be ready yet?

30 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

The second and third lines for the Sabres this past year where not very good.

Why is it paramount that anyone of these individuals be kept?

It is only paramount to the extent that we need to have an improvement on the roster before letting someone go.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.