Calling Obstruction

Taro T

I've only been able to watch a little of last night's Rangers-Isles game and tonight's Avs-Wings, but the refs are actually calling sticks to the body used to slow down the other team and grabbing people. I know people are sceptical about the league continuing this during the regular season, but I am starting to believe they really will call this stuff.

The reason I believe it is, the players HAVE changed the way they are playing. When a team has the puck in the offensive zone and a skater in front of the crease, the opposing defenseman isn't cracking the guy in the back 40 times a minute nor is he draped all over him. There actually is a little bit of space between them and the defenseman is keeping both hands on his stick. Also, on rushes, if a player tries to go past a defenseman, the d is bumping him, but NOT grabbing him. I can't remember how long it has been since I have seen that. Play along the boards also isn't turning into a massive scrum.

Since the players seem to have changed the way they play, and I honestly did not see any change in the style of play the previous times they tried to "eliminate obstruction", I think the league may actually be serious this time.

Additionally, unlike previous seasons, when owners didn't have any REAL incentives to reduce obstruction nor increase goal scoring; there is an incentive now. If the play is faster and more exciting, interest in the game will be increased and overall revenues should increase. Prior to the new CBA, with arbitration being the way it was, the players would have gotten HUGE raises if the league increased scoring. Think about it, if a 30 goal scorer like Miro is worth over $4MM in the old system; if he became a 40 goal scorer, he'd have been worth more like $6MM and if he became a 50 goal scorer, he'd have been worth ~$9MM. A league that had had 0 50 goal scorers and was hemoraging money would have had money pouring out like Niagara Falls with, say 20 fifty goal scorers and another 40 40 goal scorers. Now with a salary cap in place and team salaries tied to revenue, owners won't be penalized by having a high scoring exciting team. Players won't be penalized either.

I hope they keep it up, because the games are actually fun to watch again. (Now if they'd just get rid of the ridiculous penalty shot ....)

Dave.

I havent caught a game yet, but am excited about your post.

Saw the flyers v Sabes 75 cup finals a few weeks ago on espnclassic, and was amazed at how fluid and open the game seemed.

Larry,

I didn't watch the 2nd period of the Wings game, but only saw one "interference" that was let go during the game. In the 3rd, the Avs were 2 men down and one of the Wings without the puck cut through the middle; the Av defenseman held him for ~1/2 second and then let him through. Mickey Redmond, who had been crying about the number of penalties earlier in the game, immediately started crying about that one NOT being called. Mickey was stating that he thinks the league NEEDS to let some of the stuff go (at least that's what he said prior to the 1 non call) because there will be too many powerplays. Considering he's an idiot, I'm hoping the league doesn't listen to him.

I was busy doing something else when the game got toward the end of the 3rd, but when I did watch I didn't see guys getting mugged like I'd have seen last time they played even though the score was tied.

I hope ESPN classic still shows some of those old games after the regular season starts so I can get a chance to compare how the new game looks vs. the old. But I do like the little I have seen so far.

Dave.

I saw a period of the Rangers/Bruins game last night before I fell asleep. I think it's the only pre-season game they will broadcast in the UK so I don't want to get my hopes up too much but I was pleased to see defensemen penalised for tugging at and trying to slow the skaters down with their sticks.

I don't care how many penalties I have to see called I'd prefer to see a game played permenantly with special teams rather than a game played with players holding each other back by breaking the rules of the game.

I'm not sure what Don Cherry is going to say in his first HNIC (which is the main programme we get in the UK) but I don't think it's going to be all for all the penalties. I think tv networks should be working with the NHL and making sure that they keep their presenters and commentators from complaining about it too much.

I want to see open flowing hockey, we have enough crap hockey in our leagues over here, I want to see the real game played once in a while by the best players in the world. I truly hope the refs and the NHL have the determination to carry it on.

An open game is going to really help us i think... and open ice generally helps us too especailly when were on the powerplay... it gives us room to play... and 5-3's can change the whole tempo of a game in a matter of seconds... i think these new rules are a good thing... im just worried aboutt the constant stoppage in play when penalties are called.

Archived