Potential PTO targets

In The Buff

Hey guys, i came across this article today & thought i'd post it here for any of those who might find it interesting. It is a long offseason so if you're like me anything Sabres related is worth a look.

Some interesting comments on Sobokta & Scandella & Hunwick & possible PTO targets for JBotts to pursue. The last PTO we made was signing Cody Goloubef back in 2017. Anyone know who that is? I don't haha. While that didn't quite make an impact, i gotta say the writer made some good suggestions that could & they won't break the bank either.

Happy reading!

https://thehockeywriters.com/sabres-pto-targets-2019/

• Thanks (+1) 1

No thanks.  Honestly, it starts out with a defensemen.  Pass.  Claesson, Read and Kunitz wouldn't do anything for this roster.  If it's someone it will be a non-tendered player who a team walks away from in Arbitration or for roster crack down for roster stock.  We have to many players like Read and Kunitz.  I'm done with the "vet leadership needed" crap for the room. If we bring someone in on a PTO, just bring back Jason Pominville, or someone like Riley Sheahan, Marko Dano, Rourke Chartier, Dmitrij Jaskin, Oscar Lindberg, Pontus Aberg.  The last three likely get base market deals to come to new teams.  Someone like Boyle is still a perfect fit for the bottom six. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, TheCerebral1 said:

No thanks.  Honestly, it starts out with a defensemen.  Pass.  Claesson, Read and Kunitz wouldn't do anything for this roster.  If it's someone it will be a non-tendered player who a team walks away from in Arbitration or for roster crack down for roster stock.  We have to many players like Read and Kunitz.  I'm done with the "vet leadership needed" crap for the room. If we bring someone in on a PTO, just bring back Jason Pominville, or someone like Riley Sheahan, Marko Dano, Rourke Chartier, Dmitrij Jaskin, Oscar Lindberg, Pontus Aberg.  The last three likely get base market deals to come to new teams.  Someone like Boyle is still a perfect fit for the bottom six. 

I'm not really sold on the names they mentioned to bring in per se, more on the names mentioned to move out. Getting rid of Scandy & Hunwick would open up im guessing $5-7 mil & with that we could bring in a solid player back imo. I'm not an analytics nut but i do see their value & i dont think we'd really miss those 2 guys if they werent here. I don't think Claesson or Read are the answer, but based on their analytics in comparison to those 2, you'd arguably get the same or better results from someone other than those 2 guys for a fraction of the cost. Just an interesting idea imo, if we're not gonna seriously upgrade the position with a longer term solution.

I agree just like everyone here that we need a 2c/3c, as well as some RW depth. And i've heard Boyle's name mentioned for months now & he'd come cheap & could help. Perhaps Jbots is waiting for his Risto trade & thats why we havent seen Boyle brought in. Or perhaps he's just not interested in him or vice versa. I do find it curious as to why we havent brought him in by now. Since we havent im inclined to think it wont happen.

The names you mentioned I'd say no thanks to as well. Other than the last 3 they're generally the same type of players Claesson or Read are but at different positions. Grantue i havent looked at their analytics to compare, thats just too much work tbh. Lindberg or Aberg would probably be the only ones i might consider. Lindberg being the only one with any faceoff experience & Aberg for putting up a modest amount of goals in the past.

It just seems like Botts is in a holding pattern til other things he's working behind the scenes materialize or not. But hey at least you had some other Sabres content to read today. Such a critical offseason & i'm always starving for more content this time of year ?

Edited by MillerVaive

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I honestly don't know what else it could be.

Professional Try Out

As an acronym, it's pretty far down the list of ones I'd recognize. 

As for the concept, the Sabres have been mildly successful with the likes of Erod and Casey Nelson. It's just rare for good players to get all the way through their draft years. 

On 7/20/2019 at 8:44 PM, MillerVaive said:

Hey guys, i came across this article today & thought i'd post it here for any of those who might find it interesting. It is a long offseason so if you're like me anything Sabres related is worth a look.

Some interesting comments on Sobokta & Scandella & Hunwick & possible PTO targets for JBotts to pursue. The last PTO we made was signing Cody Goloubef back in 2017. Anyone know who that is? I don't haha. While that didn't quite make an impact, i gotta say the writer made some good suggestions that could & they won't break the bank either.

Happy reading!

https://thehockeywriters.com/sabres-pto-targets-2019/

My grandfather will be better then Kunitz..

• Haha (+1) 1

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:15 PM, inkman said:

Am I the only one who reads PTO as paid time off?

Power Take Off.

PTOs are found on almost every piece of farm and industrial equipment including heavy trucks.

Push the clutch in, pull the PTO lever, let the clutch out slow. There's a whirly-gig spinning somewhere on the equipment.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/21/2019 at 9:02 AM, inkman said:

Professional Try Out

As an acronym, it's pretty far down the list of ones I'd recognize. 

As for the concept, the Sabres have been mildly successful with the likes of Erod and Casey Nelson. It's just rare for good players to get all the way through their draft years. 

Those two weren't PTO's though.  They signed actual contracts once they were out of school.  Nelson may have had one briefly to get in his few games in the AHL after he signed, but it was in no way a try out.  That would have been done to stop the first year of his contract from kicking in.  This thread is about veteran free agents who are unsigned.  We really don't have much of any recent track record in that department.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, shrader said:

Those two weren't PTO's though.  They signed actual contracts once they were out of school.  Nelson may have had one briefly to get in his few games in the AHL after he signed, but it was in no way a try out.  That would have been done to stop the first year of his contract from kicking in.  This thread is about veteran free agents who are unsigned.  We really don't have much of any recent track record in that department.

Maybe I'm missing something. Aren't they just UFAs?

15 hours ago, inkman said:

Maybe I'm missing something. Aren't they just UFAs?

Right, but we're looking at veteran depth guys here who are trying to get that next contract.  Think of a guy like Lee Stempniak, he's had a few of these in recent years.  I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Pominville got this route somewhere if he wants to continue playing.  Those kids straight out of college are a different animal.  They tend to get their so called tryout deals at the end of the season as opposed to during training camp like the guys here.

On 7/20/2019 at 3:04 PM, TheCerebral1 said:

Not a single one of those players moves the needle for this team, at all...we have enough 4th liners and AHL players.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.