OT: Man, The Moon, Vision, Greatness ..

Neo

18 minutes ago, SDS said:

I’m not sure where you are getting this info from. If you buy the special edition DVD, the director said they wanted it all in one cut to preserve the initial reactions to the set. Plus, Neil was hungover that day and they only thought they would only get a solid 25 minutes out of him. 

Also, Neil lost his helmet.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Neo said:

Fifty years ago, tonight, my grandmother put me to bed.  I was eight years old.  She woke me and my sister several hours later.  We went into the living room and sat Indian Style in front of a black and white Zenith with tubes inside and an aerial on top.

Seven years earlier, a young President, a member of the greatest generation, gave this speech.   He fought in World War Two.  Among others, he returned, married, went to work and raised kids.  The speech is as remarkable as the daring engineering feat it set in motion.  Imagine the courage necessary to aspire, call, inspire and act.

I am one of the kids who watched this at the beginning of my life.  I am one of the kids raised by those people.

Today, I am abandoning my tribalism and deferring the urge to make points.  Today, I’m not letting blemishes confuse my view of murals.  How small that seems.

This is my America, and it is great.  Here’s to the will to keep it that way.

Remember it well..."One small step for man, one big step for mankind".  I was 5, one brother, 3, one 5 months... Mom and Dad had us watching every night Walter Kronkite and Roger Mudd and the Lunar module its separation from the command module...  

18 hours ago, Eleven said:

Umm, you know it was staged, right?

You need to be severely beaten! ? 

21 hours ago, Tondas said:

Not ridiculous but less impactful.  However, It does prove that the landing was not faked.  If it was, they would have done another take with him correctly saying "a man."

Depends on how many kids resulted and it could have been more impactful to PA

Edited by North Buffalo

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Remember it well..."One small step for man, one big step for mankind".  I was 5, one brother, 3, one 5 months... Mom and Dad had us watching every night Walter Kronkite and Roger Mudd and the Lunar module its separation from the command module...  

You need to be severely beaten! ? 

I guess you don’t remember it as well as you think lol

Edited by Kr632
  • Haha (+1) 1

I had the privilege and honor to meet three of the Apollo astronauts last night at a company event celebrating the Lunar Module.  I can listen to these guys talk about their experiences for hours on end...just fascinating.  Talking to all the retirees who worked on the LM was interesting as well.  Just a different breed of person back then.

Edited by DHawerchuk10
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I think the astronauts, NASA and the country would be very surprised we went on to diddle on the edges of space exploration for 50 years. Wernher von Braun wanted to go to Mars quickly after the lunar landing. I forget how quickly he thought it could be done, but it wasn't more than 10 years, I believe.

My mom celebrated her 11th birthday on that day. We were talking about it this weekend, about how the whole world stopped and came together to watch. We realized that in my generation, that moment of awe, stopping life and coming around the TV set to focus for a few hours was very different- with 9/11. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, josie said:

My mom celebrated her 11th birthday on that day. We were talking about it this weekend, about how the whole world stopped and came together to watch. We realized that in my generation, that moment of awe, stopping life and coming around the TV set to focus for a few hours was very different- with 9/11. 

Insight ...

• Like (+1) 1

I seem to recall watching the staged footage in the school gym on a big TV on a huge stand, but since in was July I must remember a later fake landing.

An even more obscure (by clouds) memory is of sitting in the neighbours basement watching a staged moon landing, so maybe that was this one.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.