Which Sabres Will Improve The Most Next Year?

bob_sauve28

We can't get better unless some of the new players really take it to another level. I think most of us agree Dahlin will continue his upward trajectory. 

I'm hopeful Casey Middelstat will hit 20 goals next year and play a more complete game. 

Even Rodregez (Sic) could also contribute more, as he has shown signs of being talented. 

Tage Thompson, well, here's hoping he starts to contribute more, puts on some weight, shows he can bury that shot of his. 

What do you think? 

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Dahlin, Casey and TT is my hope

These 3 seem to be the most obvious ones for me too.  All young guys who were drafted in the first round, with lots of upside and potential (maybe not as much with TT, but we can only hope).  Imagine the scenario in about 2-3 years if both TT and Cozens develop and play on the same line - two towering, talented forwards that can intimidate with size and skill.  We'd need to find another 6'5" beast to put on the other wing.  The "NBA" line.  Just some fun thoughts to kick off the weekend.

• Like (+1) 2

Ristolainen. Only being relied upon for 20 minutes a night vs. 25, and having a better surrounding cast will make his life much easier. Then, we might see him be able to put together more than half a season of competent hockey. Now...  as to whether he's a Sabre during the season or not... he is one for the moment.

Strictly Sabres, I'm for Mittelstadt as the most overall improved (he'll look like he belongs, but not in control... sort of like Reinhart's first full season). And for our overall success, assuming the team plays more cohesively defensively in general, it has to be Hutton and Ullmark who show the greatest statistical gain.

• Like (+1) 4

Dahlin will get even better for sure. 

Mitts is the guy we really need to see improve.  If he comes to camp looking chubby I’ll be concerned. It’s time for him to get into his best shape and step up. 

After that Olofsson and Uhlmark could be pleasant surprises. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think Ullmark is going to have the most surprising season. I actually expect Dahlin to backslide a bit at the beginning of the year and then make huge strides. I actually have this odd feeling that the inverse of last season is going to happen. I think we'll play mediocre hockey in the beginning of the year and then break out and play amazing and inspired hockey starting in December. I really do feel like we're going to be a lock for the playoffs for the second half of the season. 

We've been underperforming for so long that I think once the players start playing to their ability and talent, this thing is gonna explode. 

Dahlin, obviously.

My expectation is that Olofsson shows that last season wasn't a fluke.

Mittelstadt will be better.  But if he's made the 2C, it won't be as much as Botterill hopes.

Eichel & Reinhart will be better as they each step 1 year closer to their primes.

Should Ristolainen still be a Sabre, am expecting him to be much more successful as a 2nd pairing guy rather than the minute beast he's been for so long.

Not really expecting anybody else to be significantly "better" than last year, but do expect more consistency across the board.  Which, hopefully, will SEEM better & provide actual improved results.  But Krueger is such a wild card there. 

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, StuckinFL said:

I think Ullmark is going to have the most surprising season. I actually expect Dahlin to backslide a bit at the beginning of the year and then make huge strides. I actually have this odd feeling that the inverse of last season is going to happen. I think we'll play mediocre hockey in the beginning of the year and then break out and play amazing and inspired hockey starting in December. I really do feel like we're going to be a lock for the playoffs for the second half of the season. 

We've been underperforming for so long that I think once the players start playing to their ability and talent, this thing is gonna explode. 

If Housley sucked as bad as we say, I doubt Krueger will be able to change the way we play immediately, so this seems likely.

But it’s hockey, so who knows?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.