What is Jake McCabe

inkman

Jake McCabe is...  

64 members have voted

1. 1. What type of player do you think Jake McCabe is?

• A number 3-4 defenseman capable of playing in most situations
    • A bottom pair guy that doesn't hurt the team but i don't want to pay 4 mil a year for
    • Totally inept, get him off the team

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He is a perfect 20 minute a night guy that can skate, be physical, add occasional O and complement a more free wheeling partner.  Hank Tallinder or Lydman as a comparison.

I like this take and the Lydman comparison as his ceiling, but he hasn’t put that game together for any appreciable length of time.

If I had to put an number on it, he’s a 4, meaning he can play regular minutes on a good second pairing with a more skilled partner.

He’s a reliable, foxhole guy who I hope can complement either Miller or Montour for 15 ES minutes while chipping in on the PK for the next few years  until Samuelsson and Johnson - who are better skaters and more polished defenders - make him redundant.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He’s a reliable, foxhole guy who I hope can complement either Miller or Montour for 15 ES minutes while chipping in on the PK for the next few years  until Samuelsson and Johnson - who are better skaters and more polished defenders - make him redundant.

This is a good take.

McCabe can play a very physical game. And in the past 2 seasons that has cost him some injury time. Not making it to 60 games in each of the past 2 seasons has cost him some.

But there is game in this kid. His physical play Is one aspect, but he needs to use it more in the defensive zone, not so much in the corners, but in front of our own net and in the face off dots. It's nice to stop a rush dead in it's tracks in the neutral zone, a la the Laine hit, but clearing that net and getting body to body in those board to dot area's is really critical.

I see him as a physical hybrid 3/4 d man. If he can learn, as I said, to stick the body and move quickly to recover around our net, he's a keeper, other wise, there are options out there available. Just my take is all.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I think those guys were much better puck movers than Jake is, and were also more polished with defense fundamentals. Each had stretches of incredible play here. 

I can agree with this, but the team still needs someone willing to ***** with people after the whistle.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Mean and fight are two different things.  John Scott wasn't mean and fought all the time.  Risto doesn't fight but is definitely meaner than John Scott.

Ristolainen literally never fights though. His toughness rings hollow 

Just now, Eleven said:

I can agree with this, but the team still needs someone willing to ***** with people after the whistle.

Oh, I wouldn't move on from McCabe. Unless the typical overpay yada yada 

I just don't think he's on their guys' level as hockey players, and that's not an insult. They really were excellent for a time. 

Apparently, to answer the thread title, he's a Poliwhirl 

• Haha (+1) 1

McCabe has probably lost years off his life with the concussions and hits he's given for this team, or more aptly, his teammates.  Cannot thank a player enough for that.

But he really is just a slightly more skilled Mike Weber.  He doesn't have the smarts to move the puck properly, even if he has the body and the hands.  He is always trying to catch-up with the play, not thinking ahead of it like talent's like Dahlin are.  Also, I simply don't like his basal attitude.  It's too lackadaisical, which again, I think points to him being a little slow to process things.

Housley's system was over his head and he has struggled for two years.  He can be a mid-pairing guy for a team running something simple, and a hard-hitting type of game.  He does well on simple situations like PKs.  He's not a fit for the mold it appears Botterill is cramming the team into though, and I expect him to be traded away more than I do Ristolainen.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.