What is Jake McCabe

inkman

Jake McCabe is...  

64 members have voted

1. 1. What type of player do you think Jake McCabe is?

• A number 3-4 defenseman capable of playing in most situations
    • A bottom pair guy that doesn't hurt the team but i don't want to pay 4 mil a year for
    • Totally inept, get him off the team

20 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Ristolainen has never fought anybody 

Didn't say he fights--he's mean.  Stick in the other guy's back (or worse) all the time.  If you're near his goalie after a whistle, expect a shove.  That stuff.  Too few Sabres defensemen have it.

3 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

Psycho Bogo would like a word with you

Maybe...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Didn't say he fights--he's mean.  Stick in the other guy's back (or worse) all the time.  If you're near his goalie after a whistle, expect a shove.  That stuff.  Too few Sabres defensemen have it.

Maybe...

Does it mean anything if he doesn't do anything with it? I get the impression nobody respects Risto's 'toughness'

Jake was always good for at least one "Oh, my God. Is that guy dead?" hit a game. He was also always good for at least one "Oh, my God. WTF was he thinking?!" play.

Before he got injured last year, I thought he did a good job not doing the latter and was playing well (one of our better defenseman, actually.)

My hope is that he learns to not always go for the kill shot and can end up playing more games.

• Like (+1) 4

35 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Does it mean anything if he doesn't do anything with it? I get the impression nobody respects Risto's 'toughness'

If guys whack at the puck after the whistle he’s one of the only D that will do something about it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Derrico said:

You don’t have to fight to be tough.  He’s doesn’t take crap after the whistle.

He just seems like the 'hold me back bro' kinda guy

Just now, Derrico said:

If guys whack at the puck after the whistle he’s one of the only D that will do something about it.

And then they continue to whack because they know he's not gonna do anything 

Just now, WildCard said:

He just seems like the 'hold me back bro' kinda guy

And then they continue to whack because they know he's not gonna do anything 

Disagree.  Atleast it’s something.  He and McCabe are the only guys that clear the crease, that’s why it keeps happening.  I don’t want to keep Risto solely for his physical play but I don’t think this is a quality that should be completely overlooked either.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Derrico said:

Disagree.  Atleast it’s something.  He and McCabe are the only guys that clear the crease, that’s why it keeps happening.  I don’t want to keep Risto solely for his physical play but I don’t think this is a quality that should be completely overlooked either.

Does Risto actually clear the crease when it matters? i.e. during the play?

@Randall Flagg ?

I love Dahlin.  I love Montour.  I love Pilut.  None of those guys come close to doing some of the physical work that Risto does.  Now rumours of Gardiner.  You can’t have all those types come playoff time (I know I know, let’s get there first).

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Does Risto actually clear the crease when it matters? i.e. during the play?

@Randall Flagg ?

Is there even fancy stats available on that type of thing?? 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Derrico said:

I love Dahlin.  I love Montour.  I love Pilut.  None of those guys come close to doing some of the physical work that Risto does.  Now rumours of Gardiner.  You can’t have all those types come playoff time (I know I know, let’s get there first).

Is there even fancy stats available on that type of thing?? 

I was hoping he had video

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He is a perfect 20 minute a night guy that can skate, be physical, add occasional O and complement a more free wheeling partner.  Hank Tallinder or Lydman as a comparison.

I think those guys were much better puck movers than Jake is, and were also more polished with defense fundamentals. Each had stretches of incredible play here. 

10 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I was hoping he had video

I absolutely love the video.  I really appreciate the time @Randall Flagg does.  Amazing poster.  But you can find random video examples of nearly anything.  I love it as a contributory post to a greater point.  Not as the sole basis of the point.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.