OT: for Africa, need old phones /laptops

Wyldnwoody44

Hey all, 

I am in desperate need of used laptops or phones for my trek to Africa on August 1st, they don't have to be fancy or anything, just working is all.... If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it. 

Sorry for making a separate thread, I posted a fundraiser in the awesome thread also, anything helps ?

8 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

i think i can get a few we were going to donate our old ipads and iphones.  Ill check this evening and see if we can get them to you.  PS no luck on meds... to tightly restricted now

Thanks for checking, I was able to purchase a ton through my pharmacy here, so I should be pretty good, if you have them, I'll pay you to ship them to me if that is necessary ?

26 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Have a bunch of old phones.  Will try to find the chargers for them to make sure they still work.  If they do, they're yours.

When do you need them by?  (Obviously August is too late.)

August 1st is when I fly out, so anytime before then works, like I told NB, if you want I can send ya some cash to ship them to me ? thanks! 

Edited by Wyldnwoody44

47 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

What’s this for?

I opened a clinic in Africa last year and over the winter we opened an orphanage as well, I am heading back down to help treat the community, I have sent some kids to school and college and just trying to make an impact. 

https://www.gofundme.com/f/african-medical-missionuganda&rcid=r01-156346681145-edee50bb916448bf&pc=ot_co_campmgmt_m

Edited by Wyldnwoody44
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Dammit, I turned in 2 laptops and a couple phones to an electronic recycling drive about two months ago.

And Woody you’re a good man for doing this, thanks for making the world a better place 

Thanks ?

I'll also let it slide this time! ?

27 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Thanks ?

I'll also let it slide this time! ?

I agree with @Brawndo, you are a good man.  This is what it's all about.

I just donated my old laptop to a blind friend who can use it with special software from CNIB.  Her old one just died on her.

Sorry, but I did make a small cash donation just now, which I wish could have been a lot more.

Safe travels and thanks for all that you and your crew are doing there.

4 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I agree with @Brawndo, you are a good man.  This is what it's all about.

I just donated my old laptop to a blind friend who can use it with special software from CNIB.  Her old one just died on her.

Sorry, but I did make a small cash donation just now, which I wish could have been a lot more.

Safe travels and thanks for all that you and your crew are doing there.

Thanks so much ? it's really appreciated and every amount helps!! Also thanks for the kind words, this trip is going to be so packed with many tasks! 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

Where exactly did you set up the clinic & orphanage?

In Uganda a small town outside of Kyotera for the clinic and the orphanage near Masaka 

14 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

Where exactly did you set up the clinic & orphanage?

56 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I am checking with my sister, where would she send them if possible?

You can just send them to my house, I'll shoot ya a PM

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

@Wyldnwoody44 If you're still there, what's the local feeling on the Renee Bach situation?  (I mean among the people, not the press.)

First, to understand, jinja (where this happened) is a mzungu (white person) haven; also very poor area. Because of the white influence, is a much different area compared to where I am, basically towards the west side of the country. The overall thought in the country (I spoke with the president of Kyotera) yesterday, was that there are many good doers here that are genuine..... However, there are many here that are pushing some awful things (homosexuality, *****, etc etc) because they have money compared to Africans, and some alterior motives are at play. It's becoming hard to differentiate because the need is so great and the communities can be so spread apart. 

When it comes to the locals where I am, not too many know of her, as news often does not travel as it does in our country, for those that are aware, they are upset, but not as much as we would be, because the other option for them was to let the child starve at home, or take them there for a chance, to a woman who has presumed money. 

Even I am not overly familiar with this situation, I just read up on it and it's rather sad, white privelage is a thing, even if we think our heart is in the right place. 

What are your thoughts on it? 

6 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

First, to understand, jinja (where this happened) is a mzungu (white person) haven; also very poor area. Because of the white influence, is a much different area compared to where I am, basically towards the west side of the country. The overall thought in the country (I spoke with the president of Kyotera) yesterday, was that there are many good doers here that are genuine..... However, there are many here that are pushing some awful things (homosexuality, *****, etc etc) because they have money compared to Africans, and some alterior motives are at play. It's becoming hard to differentiate because the need is so great and the communities can be so spread apart. 

When it comes to the locals where I am, not too many know of her, as news often does not travel as it does in our country, for those that are aware, they are upset, but not as much as we would be, because the other option for them was to let the child starve at home, or take them there for a chance, to a woman who has presumed money. 

Even I am not overly familiar with this situation, I just read up on it and it's rather sad, white privelage is a thing, even if we think our heart is in the right place. 

What are your thoughts on it? 

I don't have too much to offer in the way of thoughts.  Still trying to form my opinion, and I'd rather ask the man with his boots on the ground than rely on news reports.

I do believe she was well-intentioned.

15 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't have too much to offer in the way of thoughts.  Still trying to form my opinion, and I'd rather ask the man with his boots on the ground than rely on news reports.

Ill say this much, if a white person, especially from the US was to come to the small community I'm at with even a glimmer of hope..... The people here would take it, because there is almost a 0% chance of any meaningful change without any outside help, that in itself is very sad. 

I also think it would have been very easy for her to "employ" a local clinician to help along the way, as even I consult with some locals here as the disease processes differ greatly and having some input is very nice.... Also to help translate. 

15 minutes ago, Eleven said:

If you're into such, this (highly NSFW) episode of one of my favorite podcasts pretty succinctly states the case (albeit, having clearly begun from the position that she's a monster) that she's a monster.  

https://www.behindthebastards.com/podcasts/the-white-savior-fake-doctor-who-may-have-killed-100-babies.htm

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.