OT: for Africa, need old phones /laptops

Wyldnwoody44

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

I don't have too much to offer in the way of thoughts.  Still trying to form my opinion, and I'd rather ask the man with his boots on the ground than rely on news reports.

I do believe she was well-intentioned.

I believe she was likely well-intentioned as well. I don’t know if it’s possible to know this, but I would like to know how many were going to die then any way, how many who’s lives were prolonged, and how many saved at her center. I think that would show she wasn’t being malicious but rather.over-confident in her capabilities and capacities in stressful situations. 

Throughout history, soldiers and pioneers made poorly informed battlefield medical decisions on a regular basis because circumstances demanded it and the alternatives were worse.

The enormity of what colonial attitudes wrought is well-documented.

Without far more information than what was offered in my brief reading, it is impossible to tell where on the spectrum between do-gooding or god-complex this falls. 

But it’s a discussion well-worth having.

It's hard because I have formal training and personally, I would never embark in medical care without either training or at least someone medically capable by my side. It just wouldn't feel right to me. 

This is where a semester in bioethics still left me wondering where the line is and when is it actually crossed. 

On 7/18/2019 at 12:20 PM, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I opened a clinic in Africa last year and over the winter we opened an orphanage as well, I am heading back down to help treat the community, I have sent some kids to school and college and just trying to make an impact. 

https://www.gofundme.com/f/african-medical-missionuganda&rcid=r01-156346681145-edee50bb916448bf&pc=ot_co_campmgmt_m

Woody, this is pretty incredible. Sorry for commenting so late, usually i take a "vacation" from sports (radio, forums, twitter) in the summer time so i don't come on here very often. For some reason i clicked on the forum tonight to see what everyone is up to, and saw this thread. I couldn't help with any laptops or cell phones but if you're going to need them in the future i can ask around, but in the meantime i'll donate to the link you provided. Good luck!

4 hours ago, Briere48 said:

Woody, this is pretty incredible. Sorry for commenting so late, usually i take a "vacation" from sports (radio, forums, twitter) in the summer time so i don't come on here very often. For some reason i clicked on the forum tonight to see what everyone is up to, and saw this thread. I couldn't help with any laptops or cell phones but if you're going to need them in the future i can ask around, but in the meantime i'll donate to the link you provided. Good luck!

Thank you so much, I have been down here for about 2 weeks, sooooo many projects done and so many more to do. We can always use laptops and phones and I usually come every summer and sometimes twice a year..... We are always finding sponsors for our kiddos and sending them to college, getting a grasp on those afflicted with drug and alcohol problems, testing and treating HIV, the list goes on and on. It makes dealing with our first world problems at home difficult sometimes and really puts things into perspective as well. But we appreciate all the help and every little bit goes a long way ?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.