Dylan Cozens Sabres First Round Pick Signs ELC

Brawndo

16 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Cozens stature is not whats holding him back.   He needs to learn to see the ice better and improve his awareness, which will improve with another year of juniors.

I don't believe this I'm about to say this but... I agree with you. He needs another year of experience and learning to sho exactly what you say.

Strength will come and is something all decent prospects acquire. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I don't see how this contradicts anything Aud has said, particularly about the guy being 3 years out from being a useful NHLer. Isn't that a completely normal timeline for any prospect taken anywhere outside the top 2? And him (like others) being a string bean is a major factor in that being a normal timeline for most prospects. 

This is Mitts' 3rd post-draft season and nobody has any idea whether he'll be a useful NHLer this October, or if it'll take another year or two. A major reason for that is his boyish stature (and wasn't he almost/over 200 lbs when drafted?)

I do think there's a fair amount of talking-past-each-other going on here. It's all good. 

31 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Hang on though:

I don't see how this contradicts anything Aud has said, particularly about the guy being 3 years out from being a useful NHLer. Isn't that a completely normal timeline for any prospect taken anywhere outside the top 2? And him (like others) being a string bean is a major factor in that being a normal timeline for most prospects. 

This is Mitts' 3rd post-draft season and nobody has any idea whether he'll be a useful NHLer this October, or if it'll take another year or two. A major reason for that is his boyish stature (and wasn't he almost/over 200 lbs when drafted?)

Reading through this, I was wondering how long it would take someone to mention Mittelstadt (oops, looking back, dudacek actually did).  It's one hell of a case of generalization, but I'd say that this 3-4 year window should be the expectation for just about anyone outside of that first wave of 1-2 elite picks each draft.

• Thanks (+1) 2

Things I didn’t know about Cozens:

he was the only U18 player in the top 10 of WHL scoring this year

he outscored Kirby Dach 84 to 73

he had one less point than Sam Reinhart did in his U18 year (although Sam was a late birthday)

Nugent-Hopkins, Shinkaruk, Petan, Point, Merkley, Patrick and Glass are the only other players to record more points than him in the Dub as U18 in the past 10 years.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

he had one less point than Sam Reinhart did in his U18 year (although Sam was a late birthday)

Nugent-Hopkins, Shinkaruk, Petan, Point, Merkley, Patrick and Glass are the only other players to record more points than him in the Dub as U18 in the past 10 years.

Some of the skeptical Sabres fans are saying to themselves ...

tenor.gif?itemid=11098164

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

That list isn't exactly inspiring 

• 4 months later...
44 minutes ago, inkman said:

Watching Kirby Dach skate circles around our Sabres last night certainly had many a fan thinking about our 2019 1st round draftee.  

Either yesterday or Saturday his team scored 6 goals and he didn't have any points. 

I just thought that was fluky, I doubt it's indicative of the season he's having.

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

Wishing he was on the team I believe. I'll look up the tweets. 

I can wait til next year, but I hope he is ready by then. Dylan is kinda the same size as Dach I think, and was watching last night hoping Cozens can come somewhat close to how Kirby looked. Big body who can skate like the wind.

Edited by Claude Balls

8 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Is that good production for his age in the WHL?

Either way I wouldn't be surprised if he's pulling a 2013-14 Sam Reinhart - focusing less on playing WHL hockey and more on getting ready for NHL hockey.

To be fair, I would like to see it a little higher but you hit on a reason it might not.

Also his WHL team isn't very stacked. 

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Either way I wouldn't be surprised if he's pulling a 2013-14 Sam Reinhart - focusing less on playing WHL hockey and more on getting ready for NHL hockey.

https://www.quanthockey.com/whl/en/seasons/2019-20-whl-players-stats.html

He's fourth in the league in scoring, that is pretty impressive. His team is tied for the division lead. I'd say that the Sabres have to be pleased.

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

JFC was it really that long ago???  Where does the time go.....but agree with your point.

Cozens is playing where he should be.   He does not need to be exposed to a possible dreadful NHL rookie season with players who know only losing   

Dach is playing on a better team with past Cup winners that don’t want to suck and just won’t allow it.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.