Larsson signs Extension with Sabres One Year 1.55 Million

Brawndo

1 minute ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Glad this is done.  I like Larry, Girgs, and Okposo as the 4th line with Wilson rotating in.  Now we only have $5.1MM to sign Ullmark, McCabe, and E-Rod, which is not enough.  The dominoes continue to fall.  Should be an interesting next 7 days...

Why 7 is that day of arbitration? 

That is pure speculation on my part, but if you look at the timing of these deals it appear JBotts and his front office have been working this daily and I don't expect them to stop until their team is finished.  I think it's a safe bet the Sabres aren't going to be signing anymore FAs, so all other moves will be signing RFAs and through trades.  Originally I expected JBotts to sign all his pending RFAs and then re-assess his cap situation before making a trade.  But after the Johansson signing (he's a LW and we need an established 2C to legitimize this line-up) I'm now leaning towards a multi-player trade that moves around a big chunk of salary (Risto/Scandella/Bogo/Sheary/Sobotka) among a pick or two to get that 2C.  Fingers crossed!

Edit: arbitration on remaining RFAs starts in 3 weeks

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!
Adding info

ERod is going to get something like Larry and Girgs did in AAV, maybe a little less for a second year for similar reasons. He’s a 9-goal man, 25, and we have a lot of young players pushing behind him.

I could see both sides comfortable a 1-year prove-it deal at between 1 and 1.5. which sets Ullmark up for a big raise next summer. The Sabres will be considering expansion draft consequences. He’s a backup who has yet to show he can be a #1.

McCabe is interesting. He could make a case that he’s earned his “prime” contract and be looking for a four-year deal. Josh Manson would be at the high end of comparables at 4.1. Mark Pysyk at 2.7 and Brayden McNabb at 2.5 are better comparables. But his injuries have to be a mitigating concern.

I think they could sign all three with the cap space left, but it will be tight. It will be moot anyway, because this team is moving a defenceman.

33 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Glad this is done.  I like Larry, Girgs, and Okposo as the 4th line with Wilson rotating in.  Now we only have $5.1MM to sign Ullmark, McCabe, and E-Rod, which is not enough.  The dominoes continue to fall.  Should be an interesting next 7 days...

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Ladies and gents, we have a fourth line. 

Now if we can just get a 2nd and 3rd line straight.

We do need to take one of the guys to arbitration.  We have 3 days following our last arbitration case to buy out some with a 3.45 mill cap hit or better.  Can you say Sobotka.  I thought you could. 

39 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

That is pure speculation on my part, but if you look at the timing of these deals it appear JBotts and his front office have been working this daily and I don't expect them to stop until their team is finished.  I think it's a safe bet the Sabres aren't going to be signing anymore FAs, so all other moves will be signing RFAs and through trades.  Originally I expected JBotts to sign all his pending RFAs and then re-assess his cap situation before making a trade.  But after the Johansson signing (he's a LW and we need an established 2C to legitimize this line-up) I'm now leaning towards a multi-player trade that moves around a big chunk of salary (Risto/Scandella/Bogo/Sheary/Sobotka) among a pick or two to get that 2C.  Fingers crossed!

Edit: arbitration on remaining RFAs starts in 3 weeks

Think your right.  It's tough though when you see a 26 goal/56 point 2C like Dzingel get signed for $3.37 AAV.  That's a steal for Columbus and a player we could have really used.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

The Sabres can sign all their RFAs and be above the cap during the summer, correct? 

How much cap relief do you get if Sobtoka doesn't impress in training camp, gets waived, clears, and plays in Rochester?

1mil roughly but I would bet money Sobotka wouldn't report to Rochester. 

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

This makes it less likely that Asplund make the NHL roster, right?

I'm fine with Zemgus-Larsson-KO as the 4th line, but I was kinda hoping for some new blood.  We know what those 3 guys' ceilings are, and they ain't high.

It never seemed likely he had a shot, however, I think we'll see him get some call-ups this year. With Nylander out the consensus that Olofsson is ready for the show I'd imagine it's him and CJ Smith at the top of the call-up list. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

1mil roughly but I would bet money Sobotka wouldn't report to Rochester. 

Remember that time we traded ROR and Sobotka and Berglund were supposed to add actual depth to team? It'll be great if those pieces both quit on the team a year out. 

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

It never seemed likely he had a shot, however, I think we'll see him get some call-ups this year. With Nylander out the consensus that Olofsson is ready for the show I'd imagine it's him and CJ Smith at the top of the call-up list. 

Remember that time we traded ROR and Sobotka and Berglund were supposed to add actual depth to team? It'll be great if those pieces both quit on the team a year out. 

No because they were bad when we traded for them and clear cap dumps

38 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I'm fine with Zemgus-Larsson-KO as the 4th line, but I was kinda hoping for some new blood.  We know what those 3 guys' ceilings are, and they ain't high.

When you have a good PK unit, though, it's best to try and keep it together.  Especially this coming season where I envision the creative aspects of RK's approach/system taking precedence over discipline.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Correct.  It also will give Botterill &  Krueger a chance to see him in callup action which will help them determine whether he'd be ready to supplant Larsson the following year or not.  (The 4th line works very well; really did not want to see Asplund get gifted that 4C role & watch 1 more line become a problem.)

So, the Sabres have a 1st line & a 4th line, a capable D and hopefully adequate goaltending.  Fix the 2nd line & the glut of middle 6 wingers &/or Mittelstadt should fix the 3rd line.

Don't know if that'll be playoff quality, but it will be in the mix.  C'mon Botts, get that 2nd line fixed.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

john malkovich GIF

about as high as Being John Malkovich

1 hour ago, Mustache of God said:

Remember that time there was a whole thread to talk about this?

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.