Where Does Risto End Up?

WildCard

Risto Destination  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Where Does Risto Go?

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think you need the Sabres on your list.  You are assuming facts not in evidence especially with Pilut and Bogosian destined to end up on the IR.

It's always possible Risto stays...but really, short of hitting you in the face with a frying pan, Botterill can't make it any more obvious that Risto is as good as gone. 

• Like (+1) 3

I'm just going to quote my post from another thread:

On 7/2/2019 at 10:25 AM, darksabre said:

I was actually just giving this some thought. Here's where I'm at.

St. Louis - They have a bunch of RFAs they need to qualify. Risto for Schenn and a pick/prospect. Schenn is about the same salary and has one year left on his deal. St. Louis gives us a pick because Risto has term whereas Schenn is basically a rental. He's a good stop-gap 2nd line center. Maybe the return is higher if we also take another cap dump. It could also be Risto for Perron depending on the NTC.

Vegas - I'm not sure on this one, mostly because I think Risto is too clumsy for Vegas' style of play. I think they might honestly want someone with more "jump", but they need D and Stastny would be a good return for us.

Anaheim - They need D and they have a TON of forwards. They aren't in cap trouble this year, but they will be next year, so they might want to move some money this year so they can handle their RFAs next year.

• Like (+1) 2

https://buffalonews.com/2019/06/29/buffalo-sabres-nhl-rasmus-ristolainen/

At least add an “other.”  Any Risto deal needs to be a hockey trade with cap $ being relatively even.  Unless Jbot manages to get rid of some depth contracts like Scandella or Sobotka, which is unlikely at this point given most teams cap situation.

If we trade Risto, the deal will have to blow Jbot away.  I honestly don’t see that coming as the centers I want won’t be traded by their teams. The only deal that makes any sense to me would be RNH for Risto and I can’t see Edm making that deal.   TB is also out as the players we would want have no trade clauses.  Wpg doesn’t make sense, because we need a center not another LW like Ehlers.  

The other team’s have garbage that I don’t want at the cost of a young excellent offensive D on a good contract who may benefit for a teacher like HCRK.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 4

47 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://buffalonews.com/2019/06/29/buffalo-sabres-nhl-rasmus-ristolainen/

At least add an “other.”  Any Risto deal needs to be a hockey trade with cap $ being relatively even.  Unless Jbot manages to get of some depth contracts like Scandella or Sobotka, which is unlikely at this point given most teams cap situation.

If we trade Risto, the deal will have to blow Jbot away.  I honestly don’t see that coming as the centers I want won’t be traded by their teams. The only deal that makes any sense to me would be RNH for Risto and I can’t see Edm making that deal.   TB is also out as the players we would want have no trade clauses.  Wpg doesn’t make sense, because we need a center not another LW like Ehlers.  

The other team’s have garbage that I don’t want at the cost of a young excellent offensive D on a good contract who may benefit for a teacher like HCRK.

GA, I take it your Risto is going to stay opinion is mostly based on a sense that Botterill has no intention of relying on either Bogo or Scandella if he can help it and intends to waive them?

You’ve got Risto, Montour, Miller, Nelson, Dahlin, McCabe, and Hunwick on NHL deals, and Jokiharju and Pilut who you might want to play up.

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

I'm just going to quote my post from another thread:

Scoring Schenn for Risto would be a major coup in my opinion.  And I would take Ehlers as well, as I think the strength of the wingers could vastly help Reinhart succeed at being a solid #2 center.  I am a pretty big Risto fan, but the writing is on the wall. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

GA, I take it your Risto is going to stay opinion is mostly based on a sense that Botterill has no intention of relying on either Bogo or Scandella if he can help it and intends to waive them?

You’ve got Risto, Montour, Miller, Nelson, Dahlin, McCabe, Nelson and Hunwick on NHL deals, and Jokiharju and Pilut who you might want to play up.

I agree he has no faith in either of them (and why would he?).  This Jokiharju deal hints to me that Bogo is headed to IR.

This creates a D of 

Dahlin Montour

McCabe Risto

Scandella Miller

Hunwick Nelson

with first call ups as Pilut (when healthy), Gilmour (If Pilut isn’t healthy) and Jokiharju.

I think the plan might very well be see how Mitts does as 2C and if he falters, move Risto mid-season for a 2C.  This assumes Jokiharju proves NHL ready. If Mitts succeeds, Risto gets moved for a winger or goaltender (if UPL isn’t ready).  

This Sabres team is very deep, easily cap compliant and has a great trade chip that is expendable in Risto.  Risto has excellent value, but Jbot has no need to trade him unless he gets an incredible offer.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I agree he has no faith in either of them (and why would he?).  This Jokiharju deal hints to me that Bogo is headed to IR.

This creates a D of 

Dahlin Montour

McCabe Risto

Scandella Miller

Hunwick Nelson

with first call ups as Pilut (when healthy), Gilmour (If Pilut isn’t healthy) and Jokiharju.

I think the plan might very well be see how Mitts does as 2C and if he falters, move Risto mid-season for a 2C.  This assumes Jokiharju proves NHL ready. If Mitts succeeds, Risto gets moved for a winger or goaltender (if UPL isn’t ready).  

This Sabres team is very deep, easily cap compliant and has a great trade chip that is expendable in Risto.  Risto has excellent value, but Jbot has no need to trade him unless he gets an incredible offer.

We don't know this to be true around the league, and as a fanbase there's obviously a lot of disagreement over how true it is on the ice. 

8 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Honestly, I believe he's getting moved, with 0 doubt. Just to much circumstantial evidence with the RHD depth combined with the 2c need not to come up with that conclusion. Whether it's in a package deal or 1 for 1, who knows, but I don't believe Risto is on the roster come opening night.

Agreed just no sense to whom... Tampa comes up a lot but who knows?? you 

1 minute ago, North Buffalo said:

Agreed just no sense to whom... Tampa comes up a lot but who knows?? you 

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

It's tampa, and we're getting Cirelli baby 

Tampa's been interested since before the deadline, and it was posted post draft that interest is still there. So ya, I'd say they are a team to watch, but not the only one.

Anaheim, the need to put some stock back in RHD after trading away their's (foolish of GMBM to not go in to a mini rebuild before last season if you ask me, but that's just my opinion). They are in a bad spot defensively now as well and their top talent is aging, their mid talent, for the most part, is approaching ages where it's now or never. Rakell obviously comes to mind, but it'll cost more than Risto to get him out of there, and honestly, I'd pay it given that contract combined with his production for 3 more seasons all before he hits 30. And look, a bonus, he's Swedish...……………………………..just something to keep an eye on in my opinion.

Calgary, the cap crunch combined with giving them the ability to move another D asset with comfort is interesting.

There are others, but those 3 stick out to my eye in any event.

13 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

You spell Tyler Johnson weirdly. 

Doesn't that guy have like a full blown NTC?

11 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Tampa's been interested since before the deadline, and it was posted post draft that interest is still there. So ya, I'd say they are a team to watch, but not the only one.

Anaheim, the need to put some stock back in RHD after trading away their's (foolish of GMBM to not go in to a mini rebuild before last season if you ask me, but that's just my opinion). They are in a bad spot defensively now as well and their top talent is aging, their mid talent, for the most part, is approaching ages where it's now or never. Rakell obviously comes to mind, but it'll cost more than Risto to get him out of there, and honestly, I'd pay it given that contract combined with his production for 3 more seasons all before he hits 30. And look, a bonus, he's Swedish...……………………………..just something to keep an eye on in my opinion.

Calgary, the cap crunch combined with giving them the ability to move another D asset with comfort is interesting.

There are others, but those 3 stick out to my eye in any event.

I'd also be thrilled do do something around Rakell. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It's always possible Risto stays...but really, short of hitting you in the face with a frying pan, Botterill can't make it any more obvious that Risto is as good as gone. 

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.