Sabres Trade Alex Nylander to Chicago for D Man Henri Jokiharju

Brawndo

Just now, inkman said:

I suppose. Can you trade an RFA?  Hate to just let him walk. 

Yea, you can trade his rights. I don't think there's any way Botterill would just let him walk unless arbitration gives him something nutty like $5M. Which for a guy who doesn't produce offense isn't going to happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, I think Risto represents a real asset with real value, and I think JB is savvy enough not to trade him for a pupu platter of 2nd-tier prospects and picks. 

I can’t believe you went and opened that can in this rare thread filled with joy and optimism.?

• Haha (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Let's think of it this way.  Who of what we have can be sent to Rochester without clearing waivers?  How many are already slated for Rochester?  Assume each team needs what? 7? Certainly no more than 8.  I count 17 guys under contract with the Sabres below. I do not know who the Amerks have under contract themselves, I think they re-signed MacWilliam at least.  Unsure about Redmond, Tennyson, Dougherty.  I bolded the guys who I think it's unlikely will be moved this season.

Right Shot

• Bogosian
  • Ristolainen
  • Miller
  • Montour
  • Nelson
  • Jokiharu
  • Borgen
  • Fitzgerald

Left Shot

• Dahlin
  • Scandella
  • Hunwick
  • McCabe (RFA - arbitration)
  • Pilut
  • Hickey
  • Bryson
  • Stephens
  • Gilmour

Our right shot situation looks pretty good and there are some players available to move.  Bogo will start the year on LTIR so he won't be moved right away and could be claimed if we sent him down. Ristolainen won't be waived under any circumstances.  Scandella and Nelson I think would be claimed.  Hunwick I think would clear.  Our left shots other than Dahlin look dicey so I wouldn't be shocked to see a LHD come back in a future trade. Of course that's also where someone like Jake Gardiner fits in the conversation.

You really can't count on Bogo this season. He's not a quick healer. And he's gone after the season.

24 minutes ago, inkman said:

A cost controlled capable left handed D. Why do we want him gone?

Not saying an issue of “want.” Possibly JBott offered him the max he thought he was worth. And maybe he’s had conversations with other GM’s, who aren’t interested in him at more than what JBott just offered him. All speculation, of course.

Edited by erickompositör72

13 minutes ago, Eleven said:

What was his weave's position?  I find it hard to keep track of everybody these days.

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think about him being bullied by O'Reilly ***** him up a bit.    

More of Nylander lacks the drive and appears just not to give a ***** most games.

His Dad’s Jersey 

Edited by Brawndo

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

This trade will be acclaimed a Sabre steal by the internet because amateur prospect watchers perceive Nylander a bust and Jokiharju a riser. To scouts it’s a trade of two talented kids of approximately the same age and similar ceilings. 

Some will remember having Alex ranked in the top 10 three years ago and say it’s not too late to save him from Buffalo’s mishandling of him. He will probably get a shot in the Hawks top 6.

So we should believe that both are similar because you said so? What are your credentials for scouting NHL talent?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.