Sabres Trade Alex Nylander to Chicago for D Man Henri Jokiharju

Brawndo

6 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

This is foolish to glean from watching 20 clips from just two games...but IMO Jokiharju's ceiling is sky high. I was impressed as hell by what I saw, against the future stanley cup champions, from a 19 year old. It's summer so we're allowed to be hopeful. 

I've been ready to go out on a limb and predict that this will be viewed as Botterill's best trade in due time. I could be way wrong but I'm really high on Joki and I'd like to put it out there now. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It's not a narrative that Casey was bad this reason. It's just the harsh reality. As to the charts...a regression with a sample of 68 minutes, such as the one you just posted, is almost certainly useless. I can't be 100% sure without seeing the full model, but I'd bet my life savings that such a model has a p-value around 3 million and a confidence interval that includes the entire range of outcomes. 

Is there some relativity wiggle-room built in to "bad", here, at all? Bad relative to the role being asked of him maybe? Or just flat out bad? Isn't it @LGR4GM who said Casey's season was about what he would have expected? 

Edited by Thorny
Saw LGR's new post about Mittelstadt and his underlying numbers

23 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Is there some relativity wiggle-room built in to "bad", here, at all? Bad relative to the role being asked of him maybe? Or just flat out bad? Isn't it @LGR4GM who said Casey's season was about what he would have expected? 

He was among the worst players on the team at ES.  I think only Thompson and Sobotka were worse.  Okposo, Girgensons, Larsson Sheary, and ERod were all better.  He performed like a 4th liner at best.  That’s basically where he was at last season.

If you want to take a more developmental view, he showed a lot of good puck skills and, in general, I liked the way that he played the game.  I personally feel like he was a bit overwhelmed physically by the speed of the NHL.  I think he will need to get stronger and faster.  Good news is that’s one of the easier things to improve.

Have to keep in mind that this guy was playing against high school kids 2yrs ago.  He could not do a pull up 2yrs ago.  I know, I know, pull ups have nothing to do with hockey, but I feel that I does say something about his overall physical development at that time.  He then followed that up with a good, but not great season in NCAA.  Then he jumped to the NHL.  I just don’t think he was ready.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

@New Scotland (NS) are you thinking what I'm thinking? (If so, I will be freaked out.)

Maybe?  Are you thinking that I have no clue what anyone is talking about in this thread?  Then yes.  Yes, I am.

I also noticed a mention of Hot Lips on here somewhere.  Is that it?

3 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

I don't know.  It's like Botterill is stockpiling right shooting D-men as they can be a trade commodity in the league.

I don't know if he is acquiring these guys as currency in future deals or if he actually wants to keep Jokiharju.

I think Botts is looking at long term aka the Seattle expansion draft

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Maybe?  Are you thinking that I have no clue what anyone is talking about in this thread?  Then yes.  Yes, I am.

I also noticed a mention of Hot Lips on here somewhere.  Is that it?

Close. The word "collinearity" came up, and it immediately took me to Father Mulcahy exclaiming, "Jocularity! Jocularity!" I don't hate you for not sharing my misfiring synapses.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

This narrative is being pushed here a bunch but it's not a wide-spread belief out in the hockey universe at large as far as I can tell. 

Nylander's talent is immaterial at this point.  There is little question that this is a guy who routinely failed to apply himself and, on his way out, chose to blame his issues on  the team rather than his own immaturity and arrogance.   Good riddance.  He will never amount to anything.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MDFan said:

Nylander's talent is immaterial at this point.  There is little question that this is a guy who routinely failed to apply himself and, on his way out, chose to blame his issues on  the team rather than his own immaturity and arrogance.   Good riddance.  He will never amount to anything.  

Likely correct.  But, if he is going to get it, Chicago probably gives him the best opportunity to do so among the 31 teams.  Should he fail, it's no longer (if it ever was) on this organization.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

???

?

I knew him not showing up at camp this season meant something. 

He's a turd. He probably sat out because of the trade but he's a turd. 

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Casey projected to 34 points in his rookie season in 83 games I think he has 31 so that's what didn't surprise me. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

I've been ready to go out on a limb and predict that this will be viewed as Botterill's best trade in due time. I could be way wrong but I'm really high on Joki and I'd like to put it out there now. 

I honestly don't know how good Nylander is but Joki will be a 2nd pairing D man at the least and who cares if Nylander lights it up or not? He's a Hawk...

The Sabres D just got better with a cost controlled asset for the next 6 years for a player that didn't pan out for the them. Very solid move and I am envious. I'd love to see him in a Jets' uni.

• Like (+1) 7

On 7/9/2019 at 8:14 PM, Andrew Amerk said:

The guys name is Henri?

There has never been any players named Henri in hockey history that have been any good. BUST!!!

3F03DDA9-D66B-43ED-BB93-8F8088BED9E0.jpeg.53814d8204798eb45ca7aff11c66abc1.jpeg

Played 20 seasons in the NHL

Hall of Fame

11 Stanley Cups (most ever) 

Still alive today at 84 and could possibly play 2C on the Sabres. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, MDFan said:

This is kinda harsh.  He’s 21 years old FFS!  I’m fine with JB concluding that Nylander is unlikely to reach his potential, but the human thing to do here is to wish him well.

18 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

3F03DDA9-D66B-43ED-BB93-8F8088BED9E0.jpeg.53814d8204798eb45ca7aff11c66abc1.jpeg

Played 20 seasons in the NHL

Hall of Fame

11 Stanley Cups (most ever) 

Still alive today at 84 and could possibly play 2C on the Sabres. 

Thanks Punch for bringing back this memory.  Henri Richard was arguably best remembered as Maurice Richard's little brother.  For the younger posters out there, Maurice Richard was truly the Gretzky of his era - no exaggeration, and was nicknamed Rocket Richard.  His brother, Henri (5' 7"), was nicknamed the Pocket Rocket, and while nowhere near as flashy as his brother, was a truly great player for a long time on a great team.  I was fortunate enough to see him play at the Aud late in his career.

Henri (born in 1936) celebrated his 20th birthday back in 2016.  He is one of those rare people to be born on February 29, Leap Year Day.

Unfortunately I have read that he is suffering from Alzheimer's which is a horrible ***** disease.

Bringing it back around to our new Henri, I don't care if Alex Nylander ends up on a line with Patrick Kane and registers 80 points next year, or any year (which I seriously doubt).  As stated by many smarter people than me, he was never going to do ***** in the Sabres organization and we got a very nice prospect for him.  Way to go JBot!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BagBoy said:

Thanks Punch for bringing back this memory.  Henri Richard was arguably best remembered as Maurice Richard's little brother.  For the younger posters out there, Maurice Richard was truly the Gretzky of his era - no exaggeration, and was nicknamed Rocket Richard.  His brother, Henri (5' 7"), was nicknamed the Pocket Rocket, and while nowhere near as flashy as his brother, was a truly great player for a long time on a great team.  I was fortunate enough to see him play at the Aud late in his career.

Henri (born in 1936) celebrated his 20th birthday back in 2016.  He is one of those rare people to be born on February 29, Leap Year Day.

Unfortunately I have read that he is suffering from Alzheimer's which is a horrible ***** disease.

Bringing it back around to our new Henri, I don't care if Alex Nylander ends up on a line with Patrick Kane and registers 80 points next year, or any year (which I seriously doubt).  As stated by many smarter people than me, he was never going to do ***** in the Sabres organization and we got a very nice prospect for him.  Way to go JBot!

Nasty little bugger, too ...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.