Sabres Trade Alex Nylander to Chicago for D Man Henri Jokiharju

Brawndo

3 hours ago, WildCard said:

He's a RHD, but does he play on the right?

LHD: 

Dahlin, McCabe, Scandella, Pilut

RHD:

Bogosian, Ristolainen, Jokiharju, Montour, Miller, Nelson

I'm assuming Bogo and Risto are gone

I think Bogo eventually, but not necessarily now. Nelson, on the other hand, perhaps JBot also noticed him not defending Jack in the Colorado game. Culture and all that. 

Seems almost TOO obvious that Risto will exit before the season starts. 

45 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Looks like Botterill is definitely thinking LT. 

Ristolainen out for a 2C if one can be obtained for that plus not too much more.

Bogosian & Scandella walk after this season.  Scandella possibly sooner.

Dahlin & Montour definitely protected from Seattle along with 1 of Miller, McCabe, or Jokiharju.  One of those 2 not protected goes to Seattle leaving those 4 plus Borgen & Pilut with Nelson as a spare and Johnson & Samuelsson waiting for their opportunity.

With Ruotsaleinen, Cozens, Asplund, & Davidsson (who's beastlyness along the boards indicates he's a candidate to slide to wing) on the horizon there is light at the end of that tunnel.  Finally.

I can't see the Sabres losing one of Miller or Jokiharju, maybe they go the 4-4 protection route?

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

Not sure but you can look it up, Jokiharu was one of a few select rookies that JQ loved

Yes, that's plastered all over the place since the trade.  It's an interesting thought, though I think Botterill would be foolish to make that move unless the return were nothing short of stunning.

From all I am reading here this looks to be a nice trade by JBots.  

Starting to fill the team with NHL ready talent.  Hoping he can now make a move to bring in a legit 2C.   I’m getting excited again.  

Edited by Pimlach

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

This is all you need to know as a Chicago fan to want your GM out of office.  Love this trade, of course.  

The big fireworks come during RFA arbitration and when teams have to figure out how they are going to sign the rest of their roster.  I think Buffalo is setup nicely to make a move.

• Like (+1) 7

3 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Look how Dylan Strome turned his career around when traded to Chicago. Might be expecting more lightening in a bottle.

Nylander will probably do better than he would have in Buffalo getting to play with Kane and Toews.  Buffalo doesn’t have those kinds of players for him to play with though. Buffalo has a fragile locker room and doesn’t need yet another kid who struggles with motivation. Botterill obviously is obsessed with character and wants none of that. 

• Like (+1) 4

44 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I can't see the Sabres losing one of Miller or Jokiharju, maybe they go the 4-4 protection route?

Was considering that a possibility.  But if they do that they can only protect Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner. & Mittelstadt.  Johansson would be an UFA so if he wants to stay they could have a deal worked out.  But Olofsson would have to be exposed.  Along with Sheary, Thompson, Rodrigues, and whoever Botterill picks up for Ristolainen.  (Asplund would have 3 pro years under his belt too so he might have to be exposed as well.  (Can't recall ottomh & am too tired to look up whether he has to be protected.)

Really doubt Botterill wants to give up the guy he gets for Ristolainen. Especially when he seems to be a D trade whisperer.  (Montour for 29th pick & Guhle; Miller for a 2 & a 5; and Jokiharju for friggin ' Alex Nylander.). They'll still have a very solid D even with losing that 4th guy.  Plus, they may be able to talk Seattle into taking McCabe for an additional 2nd or maybe could get the 8th forward taken for a 1st.  That's still a long way away, but I doubt Botterill will protect his 4th D to lose his 5th F.  That'd why I expect 7-3.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Look how Dylan Strome turned his career around when traded to Chicago. Might be expecting more lightening in a bottle.

Probably do expect that.  But Bowman knew his new coach doesn't like the kid & won't play him, so he went out and took a chance on a kid that could flourish playing next to skill.  If it works out it could be a win-win trade that truly does benefit both teams.  If he doesn't play as a 1or 2 wing, even a 4th liner that plays PP is worth more than a kid the coach has penciled into Peoria.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Nylander will probably do better than he would have in Buffalo getting to play with Kane and Toews.  Buffalo doesn’t have those kinds of players for him to play with though. Buffalo has a fragile locker room and doesn’t need yet another kid who struggles with motivation. Botterill obviously is obsessed with character and wants none of that. 

Good observation.  JBOT is more, "This is your job, you're a professional, you're paid well, you have all the resources at your disposal, now grow up, perform or I'll get you the f*** out."  Actually, it's refreshing.

Just now, stenbaro said:

They should have an ammendment to the expansion draft. If you havent made the playoffs in 7 years or more yoir team is exempt. We wouldnt lose a soul..lol

The tweak I would've liked to see is teams could protect somewhere between 1-3 skaters (whatever they could get Seattle to agree to) that wouldn't have needed to be protected during the originally scheduled expansion draft but will now need two be protected.  Because they were never going to let all those guys get protected but GM's had already been making moves for that draft (e.g. giving Hutton a 3 year deal to have him exposed in his last year).

So very much dislike that expansion team.  Really hoping they're '74-'75 Caps bad (though it obviously won't happen).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.