Sabres Trade Alex Nylander to Chicago for D Man Henri Jokiharju

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, jad1 said:

He's shown that he's willing to trade picks and prospects.  He hasn't remade the roster yet.

The top six fowards are still a concern, and the team still needs to show it can play team defense, but  Botterill still has ample time before the season begins.

Correction ... Since being hired, JB has “remade” the roster every season. He’s gotten rid of and added 10 players his first offseason. 10 players his second off season. AND has strengthened the Amerks roster. Now you may not agree with the trades and acquisitions, but that’s different. JB has done a lot. He doesn’t sit on his hands (unless it’s during the season ?).

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Maybe. So far, though I have liked his offseason, all he's done is make a series of low-risk moves. 

Agreed.  That's his personality.

1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

Correction ... Since being hired, JB has “remade” the roster every season. He’s gotten rid of and added 10 players his first offseason. 10 players his second off season. AND has strengthened the Amerks roster. Now you may not agree with the trades and acquisitions, but that’s different. JB has done a lot. He doesn’t sit on his hands (unless it’s during the season ?).

Darcy Regier once said in an interview that he expects to turn over a roster every 3 seasons.  Not literally every player, but about 30 players in and 30 players out over 3 seasons.  That matches JBott's activity level so far.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

Agreed.  That's his personality.

Darcy Regier once said in an interview that he expects to turn over a roster every 3 seasons.  Not literally every player, but about 30 players in and 30 players out over 3 seasons.  That matches JBott's activity level so far.

I would agree with that ... 

40 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I would have hoped that all the moves he has made since the ROR deal would have instilled some hope.  Since the ROR deal he has added Johansson, Skinner, Montour, Miller, Vesey, and Jokiharju for 3 questionable prospects (Guhle, Nylander and Pu,) some draft picks and without losing a roster player.   

Yeah but at some point he's gotta lose some roster players.  He's got more players than roster spots.

I only know of Jokiharju's name and general status as young, puck-moving Chicago defender. This seems like a solid move though. I too am excited for the fireworks it HAS to represent. Unless we're converting to 3 forward lines and 5 d-pairs (but even in that fantasy land we just have forwards to move instead)

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Maybe. So far, though I have liked his offseason, all he's done is make a series of low-risk moves. 

Yes but I think he's trying to build the roster depth and make the big splash when he has a boatload of cash to spend next offseason. As long as he doesn't take on too much salary in whatever moves he has yet to make this year. You have to believe he's overstocked in some areas and hopefully what comes back improves the roster enough to get us watching them until at least March/early April with some interest.

5 minutes ago, jsb said:

Yes but I think he's trying to build the roster depth and make the big splash when he has a boatload of cash to spend next offseason. As long as he doesn't take on too much salary in whatever moves he has yet to make this year. You have to believe he's overstocked in some areas and hopefully what comes back improves the roster enough to get us watching them until at least March/early April with some interest.

I continue to not fully buy into the idea that he needs a lot of spare cash to make a big move. It's not like money-in-money-out deals are unheard of. As was said elsewhere, he currently has more NHL bodies than NHL roster spots. Something is going to give. And it's entirely possible he can move Scandella and boom, suddenly we have cap space to est a bad contract for a year. 

5 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Not sure but you can look it up, Jokiharu was one of a few select rookies that JQ loved

What would they be looking to move?

i feel like if he was going to be spun to Florida it would have happened already. Those type of deals always seem to happen within an hour of each other. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Weave said:

Safe to assume an exchange of disappointing 1rd picks?

What?

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Holy crap. Expected player traded. Unexpected return.

Jokiharju has not disappointed.

Like, not at all. 

Edited by Thorny

Looks like Botterill is definitely thinking LT. 

Ristolainen out for a 2C if one can be obtained for that plus not too much more.

Bogosian & Scandella walk after this season.  Scandella possibly sooner.

Dahlin & Montour definitely protected from Seattle along with 1 of Miller, McCabe, or Jokiharju.  One of those 2 not protected goes to Seattle leaving those 4 plus Borgen & Pilut with Nelson as a spare and Johnson & Samuelsson waiting for their opportunity.

With Ruotsaleinen, Cozens, Asplund, & Davidsson (who's beastlyness along the boards indicates he's a candidate to slide to wing) on the horizon there is light at the end of that tunnel.  Finally.

• Like (+1) 3

Just that he was a late 1st puck mover and Hawk fans were very high on him a year ago.

Played half a season in the NHL last year, which is unusual for a 20-year-old D-man

19 year old d-man.

2 hours ago, Derrico said:

Some high praise out there for this kid.  Never heard of him up until 5 min ago so taking some of it with a grain of salt.

I became familiar with him last season, when in the early part he was the only rookie D threatening Dahlin's point total. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I only know of Jokiharju's name and general status as young, puck-moving Chicago defender. This seems like a solid move though. I too am excited for the fireworks it HAS to represent. Unless we're converting to 3 forward lines and 5 d-pairs (but even in that fantasy land we just have forwards to move instead)

Buffalo is going to a 3 man back line. It worked well for Ralph in the EPL.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Thorny said:

What?

Like, not at all. 

Yeah, I've seen the updates. What can I say?   No idea who he was before this, and shocked to here Nylander got swapped straightu p for a promising player.

10 minutes ago, Curt said:

Buffalo is going to a 3 man back line. It worked well for Ralph in the EPL.

Nothing would shock me at this point.

• Haha (+1) 1

Thing is, this kid is supposed to be NHL ready.

Five years ago, Bogosian, Jokiharju Nelson would have been an improvement on our NHL right side.

As it stands right now they’re all in the press box. WTF is JBot up to?

Building what will be the league's best D corps in 2 seasons ?

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

Yeah, I've seen the updates. What can I say?   No idea who he was before this, and shocked to here Nylander got swapped straightu p for a promising player.

Nothing would shock me at this point.

My bad, Weave. I jumped the gun in my excitement during my thread-read. Still on page 5. 

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I didn’t say both are similar, I said the internet will say this is a landslide for the Sabres, scouts will rank it more evenly.

I’ve barely seen Jokiharju play. But I read too much about hockey, and try to pay attention to both popular and professional opinions and I’m confident that what I posted is a realistic representation of what I’ve read. Use the info however you see fit.

Also, go puck yourself ?

Agree. Though I think even the scouts may lean towards joe-kee-harr-u on this one. 

43 minutes ago, shrader said:

What would they be looking to move?

i feel like if he was going to be spun to Florida it would have happened already. Those type of deals always seem to happen within an hour of each other. 

Plus their social media team put up those positive comments on him on twitter and the like. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.