Sabres Trade Alex Nylander to Chicago for D Man Henri Jokiharju

Brawndo

Just now, dudacek said:

You know I agree, but that still leaves us with 5 NHL RD.

My guess is Botterill isn't expecting Bogo to be ready to go and/or expects him to miss more time regardless, sees Nelson as more of a 6/7 tweener, and may not believe Borgen is ready. 

In Botterill's head I think he expects to start the year with Montour, Miller, and the winner of Nelson/Jokiharju on the right. 

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Thing is, this kid is supposed to be NHL ready.

Five years ago, Bogosian, Jokiharju Nelson would have been an improvement on our NHL right side.

As it stands right now they’re all in the press box. WTF is JBot up to?

As of right now...

One heck of a dog fight to be on the ice for the big club for some *seasoned* veterans  come mid October it appears.

I'm fine with that, really fine with that.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

My guess is Botterill isn't expecting Bogo to be ready to go and/or expects him to miss more time regardless, sees Nelson as more of a 6/7 tweener, and may not believe Borgen is ready. 

In Botterill's head I think he expects to start the year with Montour, Miller, and the winner of Nelson/Jokiharju on the right. 

Makes sense. I wonder what he expects out of the left hand side though

Dahlin, McCabe, and the winner of the Pilut/ Scandella?

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Another small player. I'm beginning to worry that when we play the Islanders we will just get run over again. Especially if Risto leaves 

Either Ristolainen or McCabe will still be here to bring the mean.

Just now, woods-racer said:

As of right now...

One heck of a dog fight to be on the ice for the big club for some *seasoned* veterans  come mid October it appears.

I'm fine with that, really fine with that.

Could you imagine not trading one of these defensemen until the 2nd pre-season game. Holy hell in a hand grenade basket would competition be grueling at training camp and beyond. I'd believe you would actually see guys feeding sticks, elbows, skate blades, hell, even the jersey logo, to their competition while on the ice against one another.

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Another small player. I'm beginning to worry that when we play the Islanders we will just get run over again. Especially if Risto leaves 

What? Kid is 6' and 190 lbs and just turned 20. He's not small at all.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I'd imagine Risto is gone and Bogo will be after this season. Miller and Montour in the top-4 on the right, with Nelson/Jokiharju/Borgen battling for 3rd pair after this year. In the near term, there's enough depth to cover for Bogo not being ready to start the season and Risto being traded. 

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

Maybe Pilut's injury is worse than thought? He's a lefty, though, right?

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

I agree with all of this, although I still think Risto will only be traded if there is a really good forward coming back.

I also think JB wants RK to be well resourced and doesn't want to assume that Bogo or Pilut will be fully healthy to start the season, or that Borgen or Joki will be NHL-ready to start the season.

Most likely outcome IMHO is, later this summer, a Risto trade for a good forward and a Scandy trade for a mid- to low-round draft pick.

This is interesting, a straight up prospect for prospect trade.  You don’t see it very often.

So, my first impressions on Jokiharju.  He was young for his draft in 2017 (he just turned 20 three weeks ago).  Was a late 1st round pick.  Good skater, good positionally on D, good puck mover.  

In 2017-18 he played the whole season at 18 in the WHL, 71pts in 63 gms.  In 2018-19 he split the season about 50/50 between AHL (17pts in 30gms) and NHL (12pts in 38gms) as a 19 year old.  To play half the season in the NHL as a 19 year old is an accomplishment in itself.  At first glance, his fancy stats look decent/good.

Interestingly, he actually STARTED last season in the NHL, but after Q was fired saw his role diminished and was eventually sent to the AHL for the remainder of the season.  So it looks like maybe their new coach is not a big fan of him, but Q was.  Here is an article about him from last month focused on how he should have been in the NHL all season.

https://thehockeywriters.com/chicago-blackhawks-should-develop-jokiharju-in-nhl/

Just now, WildCard said:

Makes sense. I wonder what he expects out of the left hand side though

Dahlin, McCabe, and the winner of the Pilut/ Scandella?

Pilut might not be ready to start the year either. He's on a similar timeline as Bogo IIRC. Either way, I expect Scandella to be around. Something like this to open the season:

Dahlin-Miller

McCabe-Montour

Scandella-Nelson/Jokiharju

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I’m remembering that article about our new assistant Don Granato being kept on in Chicago after Q was fired to guide the transition to Colliton, before leaving to come here.

Pretty sure part of it talked about major changes to the way they were deploying the defence. Botterill definitely had a lot of first hand insights into the player at his disposal.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 9

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I agree with all of this, although I still think Risto will only be traded if there is a really good forward coming back.

I also think JB wants RK to be well resourced and doesn't want to assume that Bogo or Pilut will be fully healthy to start the season, or that Borgen or Joki will be NHL-ready to start the season.

Most likely outcome IMHO is, later this summer, a Risto trade for a good forward and a Scandy trade for a mid- to low-round draft pick.

Why do you think this though? He's the last guy with any value on the right side that isn't hand picked by Botterill, and we have a gaping hole in our forward ranks

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

This is interesting, a straight up prospect for prospect trade.  You don’t see it very often.

So, my first impressions on Jokiharju.  He was young for his draft in 2017 (he just turned 20 three weeks ago).  Was a late 1st round pick.  Good skater, good positionally on D, good puck mover.  

In 2017-18 he played the whole season at 18 in the WHL, 71pts in 63 gms.  In 2018-19 he split the season about 50/50 between AHL (17pts in 30gms) and NHL (12pts in 38gms) as a 19 year old.  To play half the season in the NHL as a 19 year old is an accomplishment in itself.  At first glance, his fancy stats look decent/good.

Interestingly, he actually STARTED last season in the NHL, but after Q was fired saw his role diminished and was eventually sent to the AHL for the remainder of the season.  So it looks like maybe their new coach is not a big fan of him, but Q was.  Here is an article about him from last month focused on how he should have been in the NHL all season.

https://thehockeywriters.com/chicago-blackhawks-should-develop-jokiharju-in-nhl/

I think Q playing him a lot is more encouraging than any other data point. Coaches can say whatever and I don't care about Q praising him in public. But ice time? That isn't faked. Q hates rookies, and trusted this guy. I'll take it. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED
  • Like (+1) 7

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Why do you think this though? He's the last guy with any value on the right side that isn't hand picked by Botterill, and we have a gaping hole in our forward ranks

Well, I think Risto represents a real asset with real value, and I think JB is savvy enough not to trade him for a pupu platter of 2nd-tier prospects and picks. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.