Sabres Trade Alex Nylander to Chicago for D Man Henri Jokiharju

Brawndo

I’m wondering about JBot’s reasoning for this particular move:

Hawks really like Nylander and when they offered Jokiharju he couldn’t resist?

He didn’t figure Nylander was on his roster this year and shopped him while he still had value, Hawks made the best offer?

He needed another RD because he is poised to move one?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Derrico said:

Some high praise out there for this kid.  Never heard of him up until 5 min ago so taking some of it with a grain of salt.

I was always under the impression he was to Hawk fans what Guhle was to Sabres fans a few years back: a good prospect that was somewhat overhyped because fans needed someone to give them hope.

Just now, Huckleberry said:

Ristolainen - Montour - Miller - Jokiharu - Bogosian - Nelson - Borgen - Laaksoonen.

Bogosian and Nelson are goners I think, Ristolainen maybe as well but the offer will really have to blow him away.

I don't think this is right at all. Nobody is taking Bogosian off our hands, and Nelson profiles as the type of D that Botterill values, even if only in a depth role. I don't think acquiring a young Dman with little NHL experience necessitates a Risto trade right this very second...but the tea leaves are pretty clearly blowing in that direction. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Pittsburgh has Letang, Schultz, Gudbranson and Ruhwedel as RHD

LA has Doughty, Martinez several other guys I don't know on NHL deals. 6 RHD total, only 2 LHD for them though.

Edmonton has Larrson, Russell, and the rights to Benning and Persson so yeah they need a guy.

Think I misread the reddit thread from teams that need LHD instead of RHD lol

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I was always under the impression he was to Hawk fans what Guhle was to Sabres fans a few years back: a good prospect that was somewhat overhyped because fans needed someone to give them hope.

Guhle never looked as good in NHL action as this kid has...

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He didn’t figure Nylander was on his roster this year and shopped him while he still had value, Hawks made the best offer?

It doesn't have to happen in the grand scheme of things. But c'mon now. Risto is sooooooo gone. 

Thing is, this kid is supposed to be NHL ready.

Five years ago, Bogosian, Jokiharju Nelson would have been an improvement on our NHL right side.

As it stands right now they’re all in the press box. WTF is JBot up to?

9 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

https://theathletic.com/1068059/2019/07/09/heylaz-mailbag-what-are-the-blackhawks-doing-with-henri-jokiharju/

Don't know of the writer, but he seems to think this guy is a top 4 NHL defenseman right now.

Here's a bit more from the Athletic on Joki:

I saw enough out of Jokiharju last season to know he’s a legitimate top-four defenseman in the NHL right now, and a future top-pairing guy — which the Blackhawks desperately need in the present and the future. He has the skills, the smarts, the savvy and the self-possession to be a very good player for a very long time. And while the Blackhawks are loaded with promising defensive prospects, only Jokiharju has proven he can actually do it at the NHL level.

6 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

Could JBott be preparing to let McCabe walk?

Not impossible but pretty doubtful IMHO.  McCabe is an asset, albeit with a somewhat depressed value due to injury and team suckitude.  JB might want to move him to make room for one of the FNGs, but not without getting a decent draft pick or prospect in return.

5 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

So, we are stacking D.

This is a strong indication more is coming, and not just on the Right Handed D side either. The earlier reports of Buffalo speaking with Gardiner, especially given just how bad Scandella played and the oft Injured McCabe, it looks like pieces are being put in place for a near complete D rebuild, including depth. No? 

Totally agree.  By the end of this coming season I think almost all of the pre-JB guys will be gone.

4 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

It could be as innocent as JBott was shopping Nylander and got offered this.

But your assessment is not out of the realm.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think the bolded and @woods-racerare the right call here -- JB decided to move on from Nylander before his value declined any further -- which JB figured would occur this year.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, dudacek said:

Thing is, this kid is supposed to be NHL ready.

Five years ago, Bogosian, Jokiharju Nelson would have been an improvement on our NHL right side.

As it stands right now they’re all in the press box. WTF is JBot up to?

I'd imagine Risto is gone and Bogo will be after this season. Miller and Montour in the top-4 on the right, with Nelson/Jokiharju/Borgen battling for 3rd pair after this year. In the near term, there's enough depth to cover for Bogo not being ready to start the season and Risto being traded. 

Mark PotashVerified account @MarkPotash 4m4 minutes ago

That 19-year-old Henri Jokiharju was a favorite of Joel Quenneville but couldn't play for Jeremy Colliton seemed to show just how big the Blackhawks' coaching transition was. Roster mechanics played a part, but it still seems like a strange demise for Jokiharju with the Hawks.

4 replies 4 retweets 16 likes

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I'd imagine Risto is gone and Bogo will be after this season. Miller and Montour in the top-4 on the right, with Nelson/Jokiharju/Borgen battling for 3rd pair after this year. In the near term, there's enough depth to cover for Bogo not being ready to start the season and Risto being traded. 

Makes sense.

Now the Risto trade for a 2C that makes the other fanbase react like the Hawk fans are reacting to this one.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This trade will be acclaimed a Sabre steal by the internet because amateur prospect watchers perceive Nylander a bust and Jokiharju a riser. To scouts it’s a trade of two talented kids of approximately the same age and similar ceilings. 

Some will remember having Alex ranked in the top 10 three years ago and say it’s not too late to save him from Buffalo’s mishandling of him. He will probably get a shot in the Hawks top 6.

Patrick Kane will make him look like Yari Kurri 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.