Sabres Trade Alex Nylander to Chicago for D Man Henri Jokiharju

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I hope not.  But if he's part of the package to bring in that 2C then so be it.

If we ended up getting a nice 2C we should still have a formidable D and now have added middle 6 in Vesey and MJ.  As someone already mentioned, roster surgery is already well underway.  Let's hope it works as well as Botts envisions but I'm down with making some big changes.

I only know Jokiharu shoots right, couldn't find anything on which side he plays.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Chicago actually has Boqvist as a future top RHD, but damn JBOT fleeced chicago.

I think it's a wee bit premature to declare a winner on this trade. Disappointed that Nylander never worked out but, whatever. This trade just screams more moves are coming since we have too many bodies on D. 

Keep it going J-Bot.

• Like (+1) 2

This trade will be acclaimed a Sabre steal by the internet because amateur prospect watchers perceive Nylander a bust and Jokiharju a riser. To scouts it’s a trade of two talented kids of approximately the same age and similar ceilings. 

Some will remember having Alex ranked in the top 10 three years ago and say it’s not too late to save him from Buffalo’s mishandling of him. He will probably get a shot in the Hawks top 6.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, jsb said:

Another scouting report

SCOUTING REPORT

Is an excellent offensive defenseman with the ability to quarterback the power play. His great passing skills also set him apart from the crowd. Owns tremendous mobility and confidence with the puck. Does not own ideal size (6-0, 180 pounds) for a National Hockey League blueliner, so he must add some more bulk and get physically stronger in order to maximize his defensive output at the highest level.

Right handed also, way too many on that side of the ice, something else has to be in the works

looks like he played at 193 this past season.

4 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

THIS TRADE SUCKS FIRE JBOTTS NOW!

Sorry Ho, had to do it?

TBF, I don't think JBott should have been fired for this trade. Just forced to resign and do a tearful apology in the KeyBank center while wearing clown makeup.

• Haha (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Weave said:

Safe to assume an exchange of disappointing 1rd picks?

Actually sounds like this defensemen wasn't disappointing, saw something from someone in Chicago saying he is top 4 defencemen now who could be a top pairing guy. Was loaned to Finland for the World juniors where he played alot of minutes and was one of the top 3 players for them.

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Charts or just the usual stuff on hockey reference?

A look at hockey reference and Sean Tierny's "controlling the blue line" shows some good stuff. I don't know where to find those other charts that are super popular right now.

charts.thumb.JPG.c5d0bc55c234e1393d531e04653e507a.JPG

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

OK, so who other than Anaheim has a serious need of RHD? I see that Vegas only has 2 under contract at the moment. Alex Tuch. CMON DOWWN!

I might be going way out into the deep end here, but part of me wonders if they could add a goalie.  I'm not so crazy about what they currently have.

1 minute ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

OK, so who other than Anaheim has a serious need of RHD? I see that Vegas only has 2 under contract at the moment. Alex Tuch. CMON DOWWN!

Winnipeg and Tampa for one. Edmonton, LA, and Pittsburgh I think as well, though you might wanna fact check me on that

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

Actually sounds like this defensemen wasn't disappointing, saw something from someone in Chicago saying he is top 4 defencemen now who could be a top pairing guy. Was loaned to Finland for the World juniors where he played alot of minutes and was one of the top 3 players for them.

Thanks for the Finland info.  I'm too lazy to dig too deeply into google so I didn't see why he had so few games played last year after starting the year in Chicago.

1 minute ago, shrader said:

I might be going way out into the deep end here, but part of me wonders if they could add a goalie.  I'm not so crazy about what they currently have.

A really good goalie makes the team look a lot better and instantly adds confidence.

But I think they are harder to find in FA than a 2C center.

So, we are stacking D.

This is a strong indication more is coming, and not just on the Right Handed D side either. The earlier reports of Buffalo speaking with Gardiner, especially given just how bad Scandella played and the oft Injured McCabe, it looks like pieces are being put in place for a near complete D rebuild, including depth. No?

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.