John Scott Jokingly Choked Out Rookie Risto

WildCard

19 hours ago, Weave said:

It struck me as an admission on his part that he was being overused to the detriment of the team.

Ryan Miller anyone?

I didn't get that at all.

The back and forth with John was about him logging a lot of ice time.

The way I took Risto's comment was...

I just want to win even if it means I play less, I'm a team guy first.  A *do what ever it takes to win* statement. I'm coachable.

42 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

I didn't get that at all.

The back and forth with John was about him logging a lot of ice time.

The way I took Risto's comment was...

I just want to win even if it means I play less, I'm a team guy first.  A *do what ever it takes to win* statement. I'm coachable.

Which contradicts what many benind the scenes folks have been touting. 

Risto has openly complained about being stuck with partners like Scandella who he can't trust to pass the puck to.  A lot of his problems really appear to stem from bad habits that were born out of him being extra-tired all the time.

Now the team has a plethora of guys who Risto can 1) trust he can pass to and 2) likely have a better first-pass out of the zone than he does.  I think the 'uncoachable' comments stem simply from him not listening to a coach because despite all these coaches, he's yet to have a D partner he can trust.  He's been stuck with Scandella, McCabe, etc.  Risto will be fine if he stays.    His comments make it seem like he recognizes that Dahlin-Montour pairing is going to come steal many of his minutes, and he's saying he doesn't mind that.

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

Risto has openly complained about being stuck with partners like Scandella who he can't trust to pass the puck to.  A lot of his problems really appear to stem from bad habits that were born out of him being extra-tired all the time.

Now the team has a plethora of guys who Risto can 1) trust he can pass to and 2) likely have a better first-pass out of the zone than he does.  I think the 'uncoachable' comments stem simply from him not listening to a coach because despite all these coaches, he's yet to have a D partner he can trust.  He's been stuck with Scandella, McCabe, etc.  Risto will be fine if he stays.    His comments make it seem like he recognizes that Dahlin-Montour pairing is going to come steal many of his minutes, and he's saying he doesn't mind that.

I guess I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe his play has been born from not trusting teammates or being gassed. What I've seen tells me otherwise but I'm willing to give it half a season. If he continues to be near the bottom of the league in every metric outside of scoring, I think we'll have our answer. 

5 minutes ago, inkman said:

I guess I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe his play has been born from not trusting teammates or being gassed. What I've seen tells me otherwise but I'm willing to give it half a season. If he continues to be near the bottom of the league in every metric outside of scoring, I think we'll have our answer. 

Pilut - Ristolainen was a good pairing last year.

4 hours ago, inkman said:

Which contradicts what many benind the scenes folks have been touting. 

He might not have been coachable.

A mix of stubbornness with 4 different coaches over 5 years all telling him something different.

A mix of young and stupid, which is very closely related to egotistical.

Then mix in the end of last season where he *just gave up* and was tired of losing.

I can easily see where many will say he is un-coachable with these traits. Maybe he is. Or, maybe he's turned a corner and just wants to win and will listen now. Kids are like that. I know I sure was.

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

This is essentially what my thoughts were regarding why Evander Kane had a rep for not using teammates.  It took a good 10 games with Eichel before he started playing like he had a teammate on the ice. 

I could buy this argument regarding Ristos play.  Inferior linemates results in a feeling that he had to do it himself, and alot of bad habits crystalized as a result.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.